Speak Out: Jason Smith wins!

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 9:04 PM:

Oh no! Now our SS is going to be taken away. Not!!!!!

Replies (27)

• Thanks for posting, I was just about to try to find out.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 9:06 PM
  • I think people made a statement that Obama doesn't need any more help.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 9:21 PM
  • Jason Smith Wins!

You bet he does. The lottery. 6 figure income for life. (Salary & lifetime pension)

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 6:49 AM
  • fff Your 6:49 AM post reads like wealth envy. Voters chose.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 7:15 AM
  • The one with the most money always wins in this district the people have elected one of the youngest members of the House at age 33.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 7:21 AM
  • Isn't it now time for the Democratic Party to re-evaluate itself and see why it lost the 8th District? This used to be a solidly Democratic district, but the Democrats can't seem to win an election here now. Obviously, the need to change if they are to ever win an election in Southeast Missouri again.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:26 AM
  • Who's this "us" that the speaker is to swear in?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:53 AM
  • Shapley the reason the democrats can't win this district any more is because the modern day democratic party has robbed the southern conservative democratic party from the Truman/Kennedy era that is the reason they cannot win. I'm a southern conservative democrat but I don't claim the party of today I do not agree with the plat form at all and I don't like the direction some of them are taking this country in. Steve Hodges is a solid southern conservative democrat and he don't agree with this party of today either he has crossed the aisle many times in Jefferson City. The democratic party today is so far left and people will not stand for that.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:15 AM
  • Swamp, When Hodges campaign ads started saying Smith was for ending SS is when I disconsidered him.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:39 AM
  • Can't beat the Geezer Vote.

NRA, Right to Life, Family Values..

Cheap.

Enjoy your victory. My generation will pay for it.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 7:30 PM
  • When Hodges campaign ads started saying Smith was for ending SS is when I disconsidered him.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:39 AM

Amen.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 7:32 PM
  • Can't beat the Geezer Vote.

Some of these geezers warned your generation of what was in store. While you were reading the writings of the intellectual college crowd and deciding your ideology the country was set on the path of your indebtedness.

More 'cheesey' [one of your words] comments we await for more enlightenment.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • They will catch on when they get the bill.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:12 PM
  • THE SHEEPLE HAVE SPOKEN!!!!

-- Posted by Some Random Guy on Thu, Jun 6, 2013, at 12:11 AM
  • Southeast Missouri gets what it deserves by electing Smith:

More poverty. More welfare. More ignorance.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Thu, Jun 6, 2013, at 9:26 AM

"More ignorance"

As it regards some posters..... that would be hard to imagine.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 6, 2013, at 9:31 AM
  • The definition of "ignorance" would be constantly supporting a man who is as corrupt as Obama and then running away from him when his actions are exposed.

Educated would be knowing just how bad he is by reading his own words and listening to his own speeches. Then looking at his inexperienced entitled past and realizing he's unqualified and incompetent for the office.

We knew Barack Obama and voted against him. You knew Barack Obama and voted for him - ignorance is thy name...

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jun 6, 2013, at 10:14 PM
  • The Boomer generation is leaving my generation and the next a very big mess to clean up. Personally, I have had enough of your brand of "wisdom".

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 5:22 AM
  • "The United States has a long history of initially denying certain ethnic groups full equality under the law, but eventually extending equal rights and protections to every new group. This list includes African Americans, Asian Americans and Native Americans. While today Native Americans have full voting rights for federal and state elections, they were the last ethnic group to whom the United States granted full citizenship and voting rights."

http://www.ehow.com/info_8170541_voting-rights-native-americans.html

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 5:51 AM
  • If I'm not mistaken, Smith said something in the Cape Girardeau forum about people 50+ needing to be allowed to collect on the SS, but younger people needing an alternative.

SS is unconstitutional, and has been mismanaged as a pension fund in so many ways that it's hard to know where to start the critique. People would have done so, so much better to have set aside their own funds for pensions--but the government assumed the worst, that people wouldn't look out for themselves, and that was the excuse (the 'crisis') for seizing control.

With our federal government, it's all about control...who and what gets controlled. But I digress.

So, I do believe Jason Smith knows (as I said in another post) that the very conservative, small-government, pro-Constitution constituents in the district are on their game, and he will be watched very closely. He is observant and intelligent, and is very aware of this. He can add and can see that the same entity (the central government) that has accrued galactically large debt, which is insolvent by any rational explanation, is in no position to be offering more goodies to any of the states. Who knows, maybe his replacement in the state house will be some sort of paragon of fiscal good sense and liberty protection and will lead MO to a better place than she is at present, and the inflow of federal plunder will abate.

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 7:35 AM
  • You know the 8th District is in fact and it is a matter of public record as being one of the poorest congressional Districts in the Nation, but my question is why did we the people in this District allow it to get that way in the first place. One man can't correct that problem it takes the people, the people have not been involved for years because as long as it don't affect them on any single day everything is fine this is the mind set many of them have any more. I can remember back in the day Southeast Missouri was in fact booming back in the fifties and sixties but since then we have sit here and let this decline over the years and done nothing about it, we lost our manufacturing base plants were moving out of here by the boat loads today many of these buildings are boarded up or have been torn down. Back in the day we got Proctor and Gamble to locate here with good paying skilled jobs and Noranda Aluminum we built Interstate 55 through here just to name a few. This can be done again but communities and the people have to get involved and be the driving force behind it and we need to stop depending on some one else to do it. We have a lot to offer in this District but the people have to be willing to re-build it so we can get this poor ranking off of our backs.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 7:44 AM
  • Swamp, while I agree with you remember the 8th district is geographically huge and covers much more than southeast Missouri. We have the poorest counties in the state, some of them in the Bootheel and some of them in the Ozarks.

-- Posted by Pops90 on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 8:35 AM
  • She wouldn't have gotten the same numbers as they are constantly rotating every one tenth of a second. That's what a lottery official told me anyhow.

-- Posted by left turn on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 10:47 AM
  • We have a lot to offer in this District but the people have to be willing to re-build it so we can get this poor ranking off of our backs. -- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 7:44 AM

Swamp - good post and I agree. The only problem I have with the "poor" rating is that liberals always assume more money = better health or happiness. Poverty - in government stats - is a dollar figure.

If you're living in a county deep in the bootheel or on the Arkansas border, in a trailer, with a low paying job but your family is healthy, you're happy and your kids are getting a decent education you will still be labeled "poor" and considered dumb and stupid by liberals.

The inner-city entitled crowd have been convinced they can't be happy until they have what everyone else has (Obamaphones, etc. - wealth envy). I doubt people in Van Buren, Doniphan, Cooter or Ellington have as much "wealth envy" as democrats would like them to have. They get by just fine for the most part.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 11:10 AM
  • Dug - Amen. 100% agree

-- Posted by Pops90 on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 11:19 AM
  • Dug, Bollinger County was once considered one of the poorest in the nation in government dollars. They overlooked how many raised a lot of their own food and a healthy practice of barter.

It seems the first duty of public minded folks now days is grant writing. Instead of people joining in ventures to start businesses with anticipation of return on investment, those endeavors which create opportunity, the norm seems to be to look to government for "make work" schemes that bring more stifle of prosperity via regulation and government buracracy.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 11:37 AM
  • Old John,

Great comment.

"Everything someone receives without working for, another must work for without receiving."

Do you think those grant seekers think that these $$$ were lying around, not 'belonging' to anyone? Or, do they know that they are trying to rake in some 'legalized plunder' (to use a term from Bastiat's "The Law") that was taken through coercion and force by government from someone else--or worse, printed from thin air and devaluing other's belongings?

-- Posted by Givemeliberty on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 12:04 PM
  • OJ - so true!

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 12:25 PM

Respond to this thread