Speak Out: Interracial-family Cheerios ad

Posted by CSIP2016 on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 5:28 PM:

Replies (34)

• I'm sure that was Republicans. Those old racist white men hate young black guys.

OK that is taken care of since the liberals haven't cued in yet.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 7:05 PM
  • I've got no problem with it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 8:51 PM
  • What I have noticed is the trend [maybe it's waning] of product ads that always make the husband the dufas and the wife the smart one.

Also I can't understand the advertisers trend to portray their customers as stupid like the car commercial with the guy that says "I'll take it!"

Like Rick said, I never noticed.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 9:04 PM
  • Never noticed it either until someone pointed it out, a non issue as far as I am concerned.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 6:12 AM
  • Like others, until the controversial u-tube comments were reported in the media, I had not noticed the advertisement featured an interracial- family. And in my opinion, that is a good thing, because it suggest many are seeing people, not color.

Recently a neighbor was talking about his kids and mention he told them there was only three things he didn't want to happen. 1. A call from jail. 2. (Don't recall what it was.) 3. Bringing a colored date home to meet him.

I knew racism still existed, but I couldn't believe that a 40 year old male did not understand what was wrong with that virtue.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 7:32 AM
  • "I knew racism still existed, but I couldn't believe that a 40 year old male did not understand what was wrong with that virtue."

If we're not supposed to judge people, doesn't that include not judging people who judge people?

Most of society seems to accept that interracial unions are acceptable and normal, but that does not obligate the rest of society to hold that view. In the Old Testament, God admonishes his people not to intermarry with some of the various tribes. This has been held by some to mean that people should marry into only their own faith, their own tribe, their own culture, and their own race. Who are we to say they are wrong to say so? If they do not wish their own children to stray from this belief, that is their right.

It is only in their extending that view beyond their own and attempting to instill that view upon society as a whole that it becomes problematic. But is it any less so to try to instill upon them the view that their thinking is wrong?

When you condemn a person's viewpoint as 'wrong' because it is counter to your own viewpoint, or even what you view as society's viewpoint, are you not showing yourself to be as shortsighted as you claim them to be?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:21 AM
  • Shapley, Life is all about judgments, which begets our choices, choices beget our consequences, which beget our attitudes that form our judgments and the cycle repeats.

Like it or not, judging others is an innate part of life's decision making process.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:28 AM
  • "Shapley, Life is all about judgments, which begets our choices, choices beget our consequences, which beget our attitudes that form our judgments and the cycle repeats."

But, again, who are you to say that his form of racism is wrong? He is free to judge those of other races as being unworthy of his offspring, just as they are free to defy his wishes. Society currently believes that interracial relationships are normal and acceptable, but it did not always hold that view. Who are we to say that the current mores are 'right'?

As I say, he is free to hold his view of others, he simply is not free to act on those views in any manner which will impede the rights of those who views with distaste.

You hold your judgement to be 'right' and his judgement to be 'wrong', and express puzzlement that he, being 40 years old, cannot see the rightousness of your position over his. That is a bit narrow-minded, in my humble, and possibly wrong, opinion.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:56 AM
  • "He is free to judge those of other races as being unworthy of his offspring, just as they are free to defy his wishes."

While you may think it is narrow-minded, I think blatant racism, like the example I shared is sad by today's standards. This man felt the need to broadcast his racism in front of several people he did not know. Sadly he was also an elected official of his township.

Your argument suggest you do not think the comments section should have been shut down, because who was GM to judge the wrongness of other's comments.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:22 AM
  • Kind of funny reading these comments. Wonder how many of the "color blind" folks posting who claim to have no bias or racial prejudice also suffer from the (NIMBY) syndrome?

When my daughters were growing up, they were not instructed who or who not to bring home. But when one of them did bring a young man home, who I looked at and did make some judgements about, when she and I had a little "quality time" together, I instructed her not to bring him into my presence again. He was white.

But in my book a person is not being honest with himself, knowing the amount of single parent homes there are in the black community where when the going gets tough the Father of two or three or more children gets going, when they state they are totally "color blind". Happens in white families as well, but statistics show it happens much more often in the black community.

Berating others for thoughts that most likely go through one's own mind, should the situation arise, is dishonesty in my opinion. Total color blindness among people is about as likely to happen as total world peace.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:41 AM
  • "This man felt the need to broadcast his racism in front of several people he did not know."

Just as you have broadcast your opinion on the matter in this forum in front of people you do not know. Why is his different? Because he didn't do it under a pseudonym?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:42 AM
  • "Sadly he was also an elected official of his township."

So, you think people who don't share your viewpoint should be allowed to hold office?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:43 AM
  • Tradition and custom of "birds of a feather.." so to speak is not totally nor always based on the belief that one race is superior to another.

An opinion expressing one's preference may be rooted in other concerns.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:48 AM
  • Shapley, Nice twist. This discussion has nothing to do with point of view disagreements. Our society has equal rights statutes, someone who is boldly racist, has no place at any level of government.

Sad that some still live and teach such racial hatred.

-- Posted by CSIP2016 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:04 AM
  • An opinion expressing one's preference may be rooted in other concerns.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 9:48 AM

Old John,

I agree. A parent should want what is best for their child and I believe it is their duty to try and guide that child, as they grow, to achieve the best their abilities will permit. There is not total equality, even among siblings.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:08 AM
  • "someone who is boldly racist, has no place at any level of government."

How did Obama get elected then?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:09 AM
  • "Our society has equal rights statutes, someone who is boldly racist, has no place at any level of government."

Being racist, in and of itself, does not violate the rights of others. It is also worth noting that, if we only allow those who agree with the law to be elected, there would never be a change to the law.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:13 AM
  • "Sad that some still live and teach such racial hatred."

As opposed to teaching hatred for those who harbour such views? My point is this: tolerance requires tolerating the intolerant, and hatred of those who hate is still hatred.

Racism, on a personnal level, is justifiable and acceptable. Society does not have the right to alter the minds of people, it only has the authority to limit their actions based on their mindset or to punish their actions if they violate the rights of others.

The right to freely associate must include the right to freely disassociate. One cannot be obligated to like or associate with or otherwise connect with those they dislike if they are also be free citizens.

You oppose racism because you have been taught or come to believe that it is wrong. Racists support racism because they have been taught or have come to believe that it is right. There is truth or scientific basis for either view, there is only opinion and consensus on which the judge one agains the other. I do not agree with the racists, but I respect their right to hold racist views, but not to act against the rights of others.

The courts have upheld that view.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 10:23 AM
  • Shapley Hunter you raise some interesting points.

Wheels, you can count me out of the NIMBY set, I have mixed race family members with my children having dated and married between races, I love them all equally.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 12:32 PM
  • I'm guessing it means 'Not In My Back Yard'

-- Posted by left turn on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 1:24 PM
  • -- Posted by 356 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 12:32 PM

As do I, just not in my immediate family. I have some black friends that are very classy people, and would rather see an interracial marriage with that type person than a same race marriage with some of the white trash that I also know.

I currently have a commercial tenant that is black and one of the classiest people I know, contrasted with some that I have had that were not. This young man and I had a conversation on what the rules in the building and parking lot were and he told me they would be followed by his employees or they would not work for him. He is one of the best tenants to date that I have had and I have a lot of respect for him.

But under the best of conditions, from some of the things I have seen over the years is acceptance by some family members from both sides in interracial marriages. Marriage is not totally without it's problems under the best of conditions and non acceptance by a spouse's family in either case is only going to make it harder. But it can be done very successfully in many cases and I applaud them that make it work. My wife and I will be married 56 years this fall and the only thing I can tell you about total agreement in all of those years.... we haven't killed one another yet.

We have a kid over on Speak Out who says he has been married 48 years today. Think I better go congratulate his wife for putting up with him. ;-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 2:17 PM
  • "Wonder how many of the "color blind" folks posting who claim to have no bias or racial prejudice also suffer from the (NIMBY) syndrome?"

Perhaps..... you can be anything you want to be on here...-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 9:59 AM

-- Posted by persnickety on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 2:29 PM
  • "Wonder how many of the "color blind" folks posting who claim to have no bias or racial prejudice also suffer from the (NIMBY) syndrome?"

Perhaps..... you can be anything you want to be on here...-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 9:59 AM

-- Posted by Grenada on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 2:29 PM

Grenada,

Do you find either the question or the statement to be unreasonable or inaccurate?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 3:51 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 2:17 PM

I have found acceptance by other family members is often a process, some however never accept it.

As Shapely pointed out, we really can't change how we feel, so we often have to decide which is better, tolerate those we don't like or refuse to interact.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 4:17 PM
  • Maybe we can't change the way we feel but change indeed may come.

I still hold to my discrimination but my prejudice has waned.

Racism is a losing battle no matter what race one thinks superior. History has proven that superior people come from all races and stations of life.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 7:52 PM
  • -- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jun 5, 2013, at 8:56 PM
  • I have no problems with bigots exposing themselves as bigots. -- Posted by Spaniard on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 4:53 PM

Would those "bigots" include atheists that mock people who believe in God and call them foolish idiots?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 6:18 PM
  • I have no problems with bigots exposing themselves as bigots.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Fri, Jun 7, 2013, at 4:53 PM

Consider yourself exposed Ike. As you will see below the definition of a bigot covers a pretty broad spectrum..... and you sunshine are fully covered.

From Merriam-Webster

Definition of BIGOT: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Ike this would be the part that nails you.....

"a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions"

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 12:14 AM
  • We may all have a little bigotry in us. My older dictionary indicates holding blindly and intolerantly to a particuclar creed [there's that who knows what it means word again] or opinion.

Most folks I know can give good reason for what they defend. A few seem to defend without reason other than to expose themselves as fitting the decription. I have no problem with that either.

At least we know who they are.

One thing I was thinking, affirmative action has to be based on rascism for it is put into place to even the playing field for what liberals consider an inferior race.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 12:40 AM
  • Old John,

I suspect you are correct that we all have a little bigotry in us. So far as the word creed in the definition you speak of, I believe creed is used in many ways that are not of a religious context. And when we start speaking of religion, we would probably all be considered bigots if we truly believe in whatever Faith that we practiced.

It's too late for me to do any heavy thinking. I just got home a bit ago. Been out listening to an old Advance boy warble like a bird to please us the listeners. I think I will lay me down to sleep here in a couple of minutes.

Good night.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 12:54 AM
  • Wheels, Was there a harmonica involved?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 12:59 AM
  • Wheels, Was there a harmonica involved?

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 12:59 AM

No, this gentleman would be roughly 30 years younger than the youngster you are thinking of. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 7:52 AM
  • Rick,

As far as I know, God has no bible nor has he ever written one. The bible was written by men. Men with their own beliefs, prejudices, and bigotries. The bible is just a book filled with stories written by man.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 7:57 AM
  • Dug, Wheels, and Rick getting their feathers ruffled because I called out these bigots for what they are.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 9:42 AM

No Ike, no ruffled feathers here. I just recognized you as a hypocrite, calling others bigots, while you are as big a bigot as I know. And that is by definition as I pointed out to you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jun 8, 2013, at 8:35 PM

Respond to this thread