Speak Out: You've got to be kidding me!!!!

Posted by mynameismud on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 1:05 PM:

Just grabing at straws.

Replies (67)

• Ummmmm!

You got proof Spank? :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 2:30 PM
  • I have one also Spank. Probably time for a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 3:10 PM
  • As usual Ike fails to get the point which is whether or not ACORN is a criminal conspiracy and therefore subject to RICO.

ACORN will be dealt with after the November 2010 Conservative Victory.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 4:29 PM
  • Cool! Someone sued the government. I hope they win!

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 5:56 PM
  • I don't, lumpy. Talk about hutzpah, I hope these jerks are charged, tried, found guilty,imprisoned and shut down permanently.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 6:21 PM
  • Has anybody ever sucussfully sued the Federal Govt? It sounds like the basis for a new national pasttime, or at least the premis of a second rate reality TV show.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 6:36 PM
  • Same ol', same ol' on here. You guys are just too funny.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 7:02 PM
  • Your trouble, Suelynn,is you're not funny. You lack a sense of humor, particularly about yourself.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Nov 12, 2009, at 10:17 PM
  • Read an article on that earlier, Spank ... read it twice, and still didn't understand the constitutionality of it ... or not. Does the 'bill of attainder' mean that our government (we, the taxpayers) are obligated to give funds to organizations, or that it cannot cut off their taxpayer-supported funding with or without reason? Aw, darn, sometimes I'm so dumb ... Of course, me being me, I don't believe any government funding should go to any private organization, for any reason. Selfish of me, huh?

Another thing I didn't understand was the article mentioned that no one seems to know how much federal money ACORN receives (received) ... How can that be?

OH NO! suelynn might catch me talking to The Boys again! ~blushing~ Ah, well ... Ummm ... aren't there any intelligent, common-sense females ever posting? I know for a fact that not all women are totally, unquestionably and usually illogically Liberal, but they certainly don't seem to hang out on the Missourian.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 2:47 AM
  • Ike may actually be correct. The legislation directed toward de-funding ACORN could be determined to be a bill of attainder. And maybe that particular piece of the attempt to reel in this incredibly corrupt entity won't work in that particular way. And there's nothing wrong with ACORN suing the gov'ment - a perfectly logical response as they struggle for existence, a tactic that was probably encouraged by supportive representatives of the gov'ment they're suing. The concept of ACORN is not bad. It's just another example a large power grab getting out of hand. They are getting millions to register Democrat voters. Folks in charge of those millions have embezzled, misappropriated, defrauded and otherwise misused tax payer money for political purposes. At the very least, this drama will expose those with their hands in the till. ACORN will probably survive in some fashion, and maybe continue as a positive contributor instead of a putrid pig trough. And Ike, many bills of attainder have been passed - depends on how the lawmakers think their voters feel on a certain issue. I'll give this one a 50/50.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 6:55 AM
  • Money is Power, and POWER is what its all about, make no mistake.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 7:58 AM
  • Voyager aka Henny Penny, C.ock.y Lockey and Goosey L.oose.y, "Oh no, the sky is falling!"

Moral of the story: Stop believing everything you read on the internet or hear on Fox News.

-- Posted by coke zero on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 8:13 AM
  • If Acorn is worrying about never having been convicted of anything.... well how about Congress starting an investigation, with follow up by the Justice Department. Perhaps with a few of their butts sitting in Federal Prison, they would be more content.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 9:25 AM
  • Don't forget, once the liberal Democrats have bought off the non-working class, they need foot soldiers to keep them in line. Organizations like ACORN and unions like SEIU will have to lean on protesters and citizens who resent their loss of freedom and the old American way of life (remember - hope and change). So don't get too excited about much being done to curb the actions of these groups.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 9:31 AM
  • Actually the impact of ACORN is far greater than advising a couple inner city prostitutes to skirt the law:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703298004574459763052141456.html

The goal of the community groups was to force Fannie and Freddie to loosen their underwriting standards, in order to facilitate the purchase of loans made under the CRA.

Thus a provision was inserted into the law whereby Congress signaled to the GSEs that they should accept down payments of 5% or less, ignore impaired credit if the blot was over one year old, and otherwise loosen their lending guidelines.

The proposals of Acorn and other affordable-housing advocacy groups were acceptable to Fannie. Fannie had been planning to use the carrot of affordable-housing lending to maintain its hold over Congress and stave off its efforts to impose a strong safety and soundness regulator to oversee the company. (It was not until 2008 that a strong regulator was created for Fannie and Freddie. A little over a month later both GSEs were placed into conservatorship; they have requested a combined $112 billion in assistance from the federal government, and much more will be needed over the next few years.)

The result of loosened credit standards and a mandate to facilitate affordable-housing loans was a tsunami of high risk lending that sank the GSEs, overwhelmed the housing finance system, and caused an expected $1 trillion in mortgage loan losses by the GSEs, banks, and other investors and guarantors, and most tragically an expected 10 million or more home foreclosures

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 10:49 AM
  • Blog,

It is obvious, in Washington at least, the inmates have taken over the asylum.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 11:34 AM
  • I never heard anything about ACORN until Obama was running for president.

-- Posted by SpankTheTank on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 12:45 PM

Spank,

I want to thank you. I have been working my brain overtime for over a year now, trying to come up with a positive on Obama being elected President.

You have finally pointed it out. He inadvertently exposed Acorn.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 12:58 PM
  • Hey, Spank, you mentioned a tornado that came through in 2003. Tell more about this, please! Also any links or accessible archives.

I vividly remember the '49 Tornado. It took the roof off the house and was responsible for the death of my Great Aunt. I saw the Missourian's feature while it was posted.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 2:57 PM
  • Dang it Spank, I thought I had found at least one positive thing about Obama, and now you torpedoed that.

Guess it's back to searching. Hope I find something before 2012.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 3:02 PM
  • Well, that was mature....just feeling hostile Guru?

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 5:55 AM

Nope! Just being a little ... um ... sarcastic, because (if you think about it) it appears that conservative-leaning females are absent from the Missourian forums, while most (all?) of the females are indeed pretty staunchly and un-bendingly liberal.

As for mature or not (without really knowing what exactly that means in terms of, shall we say, 'mental maturity') ... I'm fairly satisfied that I still have some amount of childish glee somewhere inside.

Forgotten how many states are investigating ACORN for illegal practices. Even IF they were 100% above any suspicions of wrongdoing, taxpayers should not be contributing to them. Their main objectives (whether ever very valid or not) have been trumped by the money their management can bring in.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 3:19 PM
  • Mom,

Just remember on the "childish glee).... Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

And I think young of heart and young of mind will keep you young of body in the end. At least to a degree.

Hard telling what I'll be when I grow up.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 3:32 PM
  • Spank, thanks very much Jackson tornado info. Just looking at the pics brings back the'49 nightmare, 54 years almost to the day.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 6:26 PM
  • Spank, If you go back in the Missourian photo gallery archive to 5/21/09 and pull it up, you'll be presented with 41 photos. Call up #14 and/or #30. Our house was on Pemiscot, one of 2 with roofs off in our block.

The car had been parked in the garage. Tornado took the garage way off God knows where. The car sat exactly where it had been parked and was untouched or moved.

Could tell you several other things, like I found a $20 gold piece hanging from wallpaper in my great aunts smashed camelback trunk. That woman was one foxy lady.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 7:17 PM
  • Spank, is that avatar a pic of Dumplin?

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 7:19 PM
  • He's great looking! Is he over the surgery? Hope he's doing well. I thinking about an avatar and thought Trig might be a good choice. But I'm going to have to impose on your good nature to tell me how to do it.

The tornado. I don't ever want to go througfh that terror again. It was years before even a dark cloud didn't reduce me to trembling and fear.

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 8:21 PM
  • Now Theo, you might try being a bit more gracious. Maybe they really are smarter than having to contend with Liberal illogic and confused thinking. And then there are those like Mom who are really self assured and intelligent enough not to let any of it bother them.

Easily understood when you know how!

-- Posted by voyager on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 10:17 PM
  • Well, I never noticed your above observation. But, supposing that is true, perhaps it is because more females are smarter than to be a conservative leaner....laughing. Matter of fact, I think you just realized that being way out on a limb by yourself, maybe your wrong?

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Nov 13, 2009, at 8:26 PM

Well, actually ... no.

You could be sort of onto something there, though ... women being traditionally viewed as more emotional than men could explain why someone might think that most females would tend to lean way over to 'the left,' which often appears to play upon emotional feelings.

That's a perspective a lot of women have attempted to overcome ... the idea that they view things more emotionally than they do logically. I hope I've suceeded somewhat. Guess some still haven't been able to adjust to using logic over emotion, though. Maybe some day?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 3:30 AM
  • Yeah Rick and she's playing that old "Need", "Greed" and "Pure Intentions" card again.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 9:48 AM
  • "Not just their own financial rewards....which, and I am sure you have heard this before, you can't take with you and they won't buy you a spot!"

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 10:54 AM
  • Very well then, let's just take it that Theorist is a neuter or spayed, whichever the case.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:01 AM
  • Voyager,

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:04 AM
  • What do you think about this article Theorist? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1196180/Why-women-unhappy.html I believe so many modern feminist women (and spineless men ) are so un-happy that they try to feel better about themselves by spending other people's money.

Guru's mom is pre-modern feminist. G-mom is a real feminist in the true sense of the word. She is not a phony and does not wear her emotions on her sleeve.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:07 AM
  • Any man who claims to understand women is a candidate to walk into diaster.

Any woman who claims she doesn't understand men has taken liberty from truth or is doomed to be an old maid.

In this less than benign age, the difference between men and womedn has become blur red somewhat.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:17 AM
  • blurred

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:18 AM
  • Oh Gawd help us, Theo's another Ike!

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:13 PM
  • -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:18 PM
  • Voyager,

You just figure that out???

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:24 PM
  • Theo,

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:25 PM
  • Wiff,

I am working on taking the cigar away from you.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:42 PM
  • Oh, Oh, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has called lunch. Not to be missed or else!

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 12:53 PM
  • I don't like the way she lets the 'big, mouthy' people brainwash her. ... she listens intently to what a few say, and closes her mind to other very relevant points.

... I too, think she is smart. Just snowed!

-- Posted by Theorist on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 11:11 AM

Darn ... pointing out how 'snowed' and 'brainwashed' I was last November again! It looks like I'm never going to be able to live that one down.

Now, where was I back then when all these big, mouthy people were adoring that one particular candidate ... you know, the cute one? ... Oh! I remember! Was (and still am, actually) reading and evaluating information relevant to ... but doggone it, I believe I did close my mind to some 'other very relevant points' about the other candidate. Some might say that perhaps I should have been listening to those Big Mouths then? Gosh, I was almost 'one of the girls' back then! Even suelynn seemed to think I was reasonably 'okay.' ~chuckling~

Kind of sounds like we're almost two of a kind here, though, doesn't it ... just obviously on different sides of the spectrum, if one thinks about it? I'm trying my best not to psychoanalyze anyone's personality ...

Give it all your best shots, though ... I've survived much worse ... Sometimes you're almost too easy! ~laughing~ Oh! I think you are smart, too ... just a little misguided and ... um ... snowed is a good word.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 4:20 PM
  • Now Wiff,

You giving Mom a pass for voting for Obama? Pops, nor I, haven't done that yet.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 5:30 PM
  • That was a very interesting article you linked to Theorist. I have read bits and pieces of many of the research conclusions discussed there before, but that article put them succinctly together.

I believe some of those findings reinforce in a way why there are more men like myself who take a conspiratorial view of history and current events than most women do. That is one of the reasons I admire G-Mom. She sees the world much like I do. Her way of thinking annoys many women. I believe the central issue is that of control. G-Mom does not seem to need control or to manipulate and that gets under the skin of some women. Just my observation for what that's worth.

One of the paragraphs of the article explains part of this nicely:

Certain cognitive styles--ways of thinking and viewing the world--also can be risk factors for depression. For example, those who focus extensively on pleasing others to avoid disapproval and those who have an exaggerated need for control have an increased risk for depression. People with these needs establish unattainable goals that make them feel more hopeless. While both women and men with these styles have a higher risk for depression, the first style seems to be more pronounced in women than in men. Another cognitive style is rumination, or replaying negative experiences and their possible meanings and consequences. This ineffective search for control is more common in women than men; it increases negative thinking and impairs problem solving, worsens mood, and promotes depression. With cognitive behavioral therapy, some of these styles can be modified

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 5:50 PM
  • "... giving Mom a pass for voting for Obama? Pops, nor I, haven't done that yet." That's okay, Wheels ... I do though have some small amount of sympathy for 'guys' who couldn't (and still can't?) see through ... you-know-who, too. Perhaps that makes us almost even? ~winking~ Pops does have to be a little careful about the 'no-pass,' though ... He really enjoys home-cooked meals.

Darn, Wiffle ... I voted for Carter also. But, well ... that was more a 'party thing' back then when I didn't know or care much about politics. In fact, didn't pay much attention until the first Clinton campaign ... and did the same type of in-depth research on him as I recently did on you-know-who as well as on Obama, to try to determine my voting preference.

I personally don't blame the media for much of Obama's success, nor for much of Palin's failure. Both are rather charismatic people each in their own way, wouldn't you say? So, perhaps part of the justification for any of our votes could be placed on ... personalities? No ... I wanted to believe ... that our troops would be pulled out of Iraq and that someday maybe our young people would be safe here at home with their families, that transparency would rule, that the federal government would be greatly down-sized ... you know, that kind of thing? Living in la-la land, wasn't I?

Info, I really don't mean to annoy anyone. I like facts ... and sometimes I just go overboard in trying to present them, thinking (often erroneously) that others would prefer facts over half-truths or downright lies ...

I guess, too, I'm not the most trusting person in the world anymore ... which is why I often view various things with a rather skeptical attitude. Part of that is due to realizing at some point that history as we learned it, compared to history as it actually was, did not exactly match ... I came to the conclusion that we were (and still are) subjected to sort of a type of psychological 'brain-washing.' For what reasons? There are several possible answers to that in my mind.

Perhaps one of the things I like about myself ... and yes, we should all like ourselves! ... is that I'm pretty well comfortable with who and what I am, with how far I've come since those long-ago innocent, follow-the-popular or politically-correct concept, days.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 7:31 PM
  • "I think with all you 'guys' worried about being the 'mouthy' one"

I for one am not worried. You own that distinction hands down Theorist.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 7:50 PM
  • Assuming you're not a psychologist or psychiatrist, my dear ...

... it's really difficult to put much credence in your analysis and diagnosis of people.

You know, I really never considered these comment sections as a venue for a popularity contest ... Sorry that you seem to.

But now tell us, if you would ... what 'posse' you are following ... Do you need a hint?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 7:58 PM
  • Uh oh ... I seem to be following you, Wheels!

Self Awareness ... I think Theorist and I each have that one down pat ... Don't know about you 'guys' though. ~laughing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 8:08 PM
  • Spank, are you thinking what an odd turn your thread has turned into?

Notice my avatar missing? The Missourian won't let me have my balloons back ... and nothing else I considered, either!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 8:11 PM
  • Notice my avatar missing? The Missourian won't let me have my balloons back ... and nothing else I considered, either!

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 8:11 PM

James's snake went missing the same way I think.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 8:22 PM
  • Theo, you possess the inordinate ability to be just plain boring and pedantic. Please be good enough to change the subject.

-- Posted by voyager on Sat, Nov 14, 2009, at 8:32 PM
  • Theo, you rant, I discuss.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 8:05 AM
  • Rick,

Speaking about changing the subject, how about the word "apropos?"

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 8:10 AM
  • Wiff,

Do like me...

If you just open another Tab and bring up Merriam - Webster, you too can understand some of these big words.... might even be able to keep up with some of the Plato wannabes on SO and these threads.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:29 AM
  • Spank,

I think the weather was too nice for deer hunting.

My Grandson called about an hour ago and he said it started raining about 7:00am today where he hunted, about 50 miles or so north of I 70, and only then did the deer start moving where he was. He shot a 10 Point and it was the first one he saw all weekend.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:52 AM
  • So the dear little deer have another week's reprieve. Maybe as an alternative you could sttrap on 10 pointers on a Liberal and go after it with a slingshot full of reason.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 11:42 AM
  • Theo, I know what you mean. Sad isn't it. When the same is done to him. He accuses people of childish behavior.

-- Posted by riregrist on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 12:41 PM
  • I'm afraid you're right, Spank. By the way, what was all that about your avatars? I see you still have Dumplin up and running 'cause Trig and I are looking at him.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 12:42 PM
  • What do you feel capable of discussing outside of politics? Lets make it easy on you. How about pets? Think you can handle that?

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 12:52 PM
  • Spank, that's strange. Wonder why? I can't even create one (some secret computer science thing, I suppose, or maybe a Liberal conspiracy). Guess somebody doesn't think I need one.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 1:21 PM
  • Spank, that's strange. Wonder why? I can't even create one (some secret computer science thing, I suppose, or maybe a Liberal conspiracy). Guess somebody doesn't think I need one.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 1:21 PM

I think you are on to something Voyager! It's a liberal conspiracy. :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 1:26 PM
  • Oh! I hadn't thought of that as a possible reason for the Missourian not accepting any of my avatar choice ... 'a Liberal conspiracy.' ~laughing~ Doggone it, though, I should be an exception, being (contrary to the opinion of some) at least a little more left of right. Anyway, isn't the Missourian considered a more conservative newspaper?

I checked the sizes before trying them, Spank ... and hadn't changed the size of the balloons since having them before. Yep, it must be a conspiracy ...

-- Posted by gurusmom on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 5:40 PM
  • Rick,

Rather vote Congress out next November than shoot them out. The trick will be to keep them from doing any more damage before then.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 5:42 PM
  • Hummm, must be some file size restriction. Want to talk to you and Wheels later about avatars and posting pictures.

I've made more pic of Trig with ditigal camera but haven't download to computer hard drive yet. Want a few more pics first.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 5:51 PM
  • Wiff, Most of my digital pic are jpg. I have used tiff for some scanned drawings. Reason, my beloved Ami Pro does not have jpg which must have come along later.

However, I have a more recent copy of Word Pro (IBM' redo of Ami Pro) which does use jpg files but I try not to use Word Pro because IBM messed it up for me.

So an avatar begins as a jpg file? Wheels was discussing his avatar creation using Dumplin's pic which he reduced in size,

Please understand I am NOT a computer geek.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 8:52 PM
  • So an avatar begins as a jpg file? Wheels was discussing his avatar creation using Dumplin's pic which he reduced in size,

Please understand I am NOT a computer geek.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 8:52 PM

Ummmm, Voyager,

That would be Spank who was doing the dumpling thing. My avatar is this self portrait you will see to the top right. It is in GIF format and it worked fine the first time. Hell I'm afraid to change it, James lost his snake a few months ago, Mom lost her balloons and I remember someone else losing something.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 9:45 PM
  • Voyager,

Also on here there appear to be some that may have lost their mind.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 9:46 PM
  • Wheels,wonder why I'm not surprised?

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Nov 15, 2009, at 10:08 PM

Respond to this thread