Speak Out: Rivalry drives up medical charges in Cape Girardeau

Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 10:05 AM:

"Two rival hospitals, St. Francis Medical Center and Southeast Hospital, brag about gleaming buildings, robotic surgery systems, electrophysiology labs for heart care, and cancer treatment centers.

What remains unsaid is the price tag. The nonprofit hospitals' charges are much higher than in other parts of Missouri -- certain surgeries can even cost twice as much as those in the St. Louis area.

Cape Girardeau, the largest medical community between Memphis and St. Louis, offers a glimpse into the nation's health care problems. Competition can spark innovation and improve quality of care, but it can also lead to costs that spiral out of control. The federal Medicare system, private insurers and self-insured employers often foot the bills.

For at least a decade, the crosstown rivals have engaged in a costly race to build new facilities, invest in leading edge technologies, buy new equipment, recruit physicians and offer new services.

Rather than reducing charges as a way to lure patients, the hospitals instead have undertaken fierce advertising campaigns, and end up spending more on marketing than on medical care for the needy, called charity care. In the case of St. Francis, the hospital spent more than four times as much on advertising and promotions as it did on charity care in 2011."

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/rivalry-drives-up-medical-charges-in-cape...

Why does the St. Louis Post Dispatch provide better news coverage for our area than the Southeast Missourian? Would it have something to do with the multitude of St. Francis and Southeast Hospital advertisements that pepper the print and online versions of the SE Missourian?

Replies (33)

• "nonprofit hospitals"

not-for-profit, there is a difference

-- Posted by scheuwlfz on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 10:50 AM
  • As big of a difference as that between "rivalry" and "collusion", or "media" and "propagandist"?

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:16 AM
  • My spouse had rotator cuff surgery and had to get 2 pre-determined costs.

St Francis: $ 58,234

De Paul St Louis: $ 32,560

A few years ago a friend of mine was at the Mayo Clinic. In conversation the doctor asked where he was from. He said a place you've never heard of ...Cape Girardeau, MO. The doctor responded "oh, yes I've heard of it..it's referred to as the 'gold coast of medicine' around hear.

-- Posted by left turn on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:16 AM
  • Rick,

Even a blind hog will get an acorn once in a while.

If you have to depend on the Post Disgrace for news on a regular basis, you will not be well informed.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:19 AM
  • Left Turn,

I have heard our area described as the "promised land of the medical profession" before also.

It may not be so bad if we didn't receive Yugo service at a Bugatti price. My dog gets better customer service at the vet to the point that I have considered asking her vet if he would take human customers.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:34 AM
  • Because you can dupe more people by colluding under the guise of competition. CONgress does the same thing.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 4:38 PM
  • No waiting on isle 6.

It takes at least three to have competition. Two competitors and one spending their own money.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 5:08 PM
  • Highest cost of health care in the State of Missouri right here in Cape Girardeau glad the Post did a story on this it has been long over due.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 6:20 PM
  • What is funny most of these people that whine about the cost is still having things done here. Why? I go to Barnes for my cardiologist and back surgeon. I have a high deductible so I shop for quality first and then price. I can get both there.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 7:26 PM
  • "Just as I do . I am willing to pay gas money to receive professional health care ."

Same here.

My Cardiologist at Barnes fixed me up without any invasive procedures as where Cape wanted to send me to the Cath Lab. After talking to my brother in law I went to STL and found this Doc. Cath Labs have killed or caused strokes in many patients when they could have had a simple non invasive ultrasound tests but the money is in Cath Labs. Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes the lab is necessary.

The other good thing is there was about a 1 hour wait time to get the ultrasound test after the doctor ordered it. It took longer to drive there and back than to meet the doctor for first time and get all the tests. They wanted to book my Cath Lab appointment 3 weeks later here.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:08 PM
  • I wonder, are those greedy republicans in Cape Girardeau the cause of all this?

St. Louis liberal voting must have something to do with this great revelation of more affordable care in the fair city of democratic government.

Common, Just trying to help you out here.:)

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:11 PM
  • OJ

I am worried that my good service up there is gonna get bad because of it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • KFreeVarietyService to have a story at 10 per wife's inside sources. No indication yet from WPaducaServiceDaily.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:29 PM
  • The problem with traveling to St. Louis is that everyone does not have reliable transportation nor can they afford to take off from work for the trip if they work for a lot of local employers, especially when their out of pocket expense is not affected. (I know, that is the short term effect, but if you are a lower paid worker, that is all you have the ability to worry about.)

The effect on lower income households is compounded by St. Francis' assertions that United insureds can receive services at the same cost as BCBS insureds. What they don't tell them is that is only true if they can afford to pay their total personal share immediately upon being billed or the discounts go away or that patients end up being on the hook for both in network and out of network deductibles and co-pays greatly increasing the individual's cost.

-- Posted by sunshine51 on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 12:22 AM
  • I'm glad this is finally being exposed. A lot people simply can't get to St. Louis. Elderly people may not know any better as they always do what their doctors say. Even if you don't have insurance the hospitals in St. Louis are much more helpful in helping you. It is shameful what the hospitals in Cape have done - now they employ almost every doctor so you can't even get a fair price for an office visit - they always want to do more expensive tests. I truly wish something would help our situation here in Cape. I,too, know it has been called gold coast of medicine. I feel sorry for the people of Cape. And, unfortunately, we all know why this story isn't printed in the SEMissourian - very sad for our community. We're only told what they want us to hear.

-- Posted by Sunday on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 6:48 AM
  • I forgot to mention . . . when you have an appt. in St. Louis - you are seen at that time - you never have to wait even 10 minutes! In Cape sometimes it's hours. My opinion is the doctors in CG do not respect the patients and think they can wait, and wait and wait. Also, in the emergency room, if you don't have insurance, you may have to wait up to 6 hours - I know of this happening; and then they won't help you. The story that hospitals are required to help you is not true.

-- Posted by Sunday on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 7:46 AM
  • I received a notice today about the increase in Medicare taxes effective January 1st, 2013 that was part of Obamacare.

I thought this was all "free" - I guess that just applies to the 30 million that didn't want health insurance and don't plan on paying for it - or those at up to 400% of the poverty line will not pay their "fair share" and will be subsidized.

Obamacare, like Obamaphones, are only free to those that get them. The rest of us pay dearly.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 9:20 AM
  • Several years ago, I approached KFVS with a story about the billing practices of both Cape hospitals. I was told that no story could be done because the hospitals were two of Capes largest employers. To heck with free speech. I have had letters to the editor edited to remove references to St. Francis by the SE Missourian. As long as the financial leaders of the area, and the press are so cozy, the truth is hard to get out. As an advocate for the disabled, I have complained for years about the scandal in local healthcare.

-- Posted by FOXTROT007 on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 10:53 AM
  • foxtrotoo7 I have heard from other people that tried to bring this out in the open but it fell on deaf ears locally. Some of these people more then likely went to the St Louis Post and they did a story on it. The huge amount of advertiser dollars being spent by both of these hospitals with the local TV and newspaper it would be very difficult for them to do a story on this they just never will.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 1:06 PM
  • -- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:11 PM

I hate to use your words "lying liar" but you're wrong Spaniard. I DID receive a notice today about the increase in Medicare taxes. Your batting average is falling even further. From the notice:

"Medicare Taxes - There will be two tiers of Medicare taxes starting January 1, 2013. For wages of $200,000 and below, the Medicare tax rate will remain at 1.45%, same as in 2012. An additional 0.9% rate of Medicare tax on wages in excess of $200,000 was enacted as part of the Affordable Care Act. There is no cap on the earnings subject to Medicare tax or the additional Medicare tax."

What part of "an addition 0.9% rate of Medicare tax on wages... part of the Affordable Care Act" don't you understand?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:49 PM
  • "My opinion is the doctors in CG do not respect the patients and think they can wait, and wait and wait. "

Its not respect as much as it they are overbooked. Look for a lot more in the future.

No, you didn't.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 2:11 PM

Wrong again.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 5:28 PM
  • *An additional 0.9% rate of Medicare tax on wages in excess of $200,000 was enacted as part of the Affordable Care Act.*

You do not have to worry about this increase, only takers get paid to post dung on the internet 24-7.

-- Posted by notrump on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 5:31 PM
  • Did you get this notice in the mail? Who did this notice come from? -- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 5:55 PM

Yes. My employer sent this out today to all employees in an email notifying us of increased taxes coming out of our checks and to expect a decrease in pay. They discussed the 2% SS tax increase and this additional .9% increase in Medicare taxes for those making over $200,000. That doesn't affect me but it's just one of the 20+ tax increases in the "Affordable Care Act" or Obamacare.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 6:49 PM
  • It is amazing. Some of these same panic driven arguments were made when both Medicare and Social Security were implemented. Want to repeal those? Good luck. Get over it. By the way, what has all of that got to do with the hospital scandal? Could it be that we have those trying to sweep it under the rug? Cover ups don't work in the 21st century with social media and all.

-- Posted by FOXTROT007 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 7:41 AM
  • hospital scandal... Cover ups don't work in the 21st century with social media and all. -- Posted by foxtrot007 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 7:41 AM

Unless you have proof that the two hospitals are colluding and price fixing together there is no "scandal". There is no news here. It's amazing to me that people get upset when the local market has higher prices in a competitive market - unless you can provide evidence of fraud or collusion.

These two hospitals are competing. They have developed strategies to buy up as many doctor practices they can to drive patients to their facilities. They have built massive buildings and brought in neurosurgeons and advanced cancer treatments to the area. They are also buying up rural small-town hospitals to provide another queue of patients directed to their facilities.

THERE IS NO SCANDAL. THERE IS NO "COVER UP". If you don't like it go to St. Louis or Memphis or Ste. Genevieve or Rolla or wherever.

And as for the SE MIssourian getting accused of covering up or non-reporting? I don't blame them. There is no story here and YES (shock-and-awe) they are customers of the newspaper.

I don't like the higher prices either. I think they are wrong. But they aren't illegal and people will do what their pockets direct them to.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 8:58 AM
  • Maybe the St. Louis paper should put a full time reporter here in Cape. There's a lot of things that need to be questioned, and exposed in this County. It is pretty sad that most surgeries cost more than a Car, A House, Most people's yearly salary, College tuition.........I know the Days of paying with egg's, a meal, or whatever you could spare are over, but we have gone from 1 extreme to another. I was really disappointed to see how little St. Francis donated to Charitable Contributions, considering it encourages it's employees to donate to everything they promote.

-- Posted by braveheart on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:24 PM
  • Maybe the StL hospitals should buy full page ads in the Missourian. Give the sales weasels from the paper a day in St Louis with their families and let them work in some business time knocking on doors for advertising sales. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 8:36 PM
  • Go to St. Louis if you don't like it? Already have, after the locals botched an ovarian cancer diagnosis on my significant other. ENCOURAGE EVERYONE ELSE TO DO THE SAME! Not a scandal? Depends on your interpretation of Webster's I guess, but given the impotence of the local media on this issue, if it stinks like a skunk, looks like a skunk, and so on, well?

-- Posted by Wilbur Right on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:52 AM
  • If you think there is a "scandal" please enlighten all of us on your facts if you have any. I just got back from St. Louis and bought gas at Herculaneum. It was $3.16/gallon. When I got home the price was $2.95/gallon. SCANDAL!!!!

I had a family member that had an appendectomy. During the procedure the doctor punctured her bladder accidentally. SCANDAL!!! And it wasn't even in Cape. How can that be? The only hospitals that have "scandals" and make mistakes must be in Cape right?

As I said earlier (and you missed) I don't like the higher prices. Unless you can prove they sit together at night, smoke cigars and fix pricing on services while the SE Missourian reporters sit in the room - there is NO scandal and there is NO story.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 7:45 PM
  • Anyone that gets a paycheck should have had a fairly sharp increase in their first one of the year.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • For most, FICA was returned to the prior rate of 7.65 %, which had been the FICA rate since 1990. Taxpayers enjoyed a 2 % break for 2 years.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/taxRates.html

-- Posted by ratiocination on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 5:27 AM
  • This story has moved to Topix, and seems to be getting a much better response............

-- Posted by braveheart on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:31 AM
  • What is "Topix"?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:43 AM

Respond to this thread