Speak Out: Proof Gun Gontrol is Ineffective

Posted by mobushwhacker on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:03 PM:

According to the Washington Post,Connecticut has some of the most strict gun laws in the U.S. if gun guntrol is the answer, how come it did not prevent the tragedy in Newtown last Friday?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/17/connecticut-gun-laws-a...

Replies (24)

• The USA must be doing something right, we lead the world nations in violent gun deaths. Makes you proud to be an American.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 5:44 AM
  • think a good solution to the conn issue would be to prosecute the parents for felony child endangerment anytime an under age gets access their firearms, that way the americans that are being responsible with their firearms should not have to suffer for the ignorance of others. Its getting to were the govt has to control everyone because the adults in the us dont have enough sense to do right.

-- Posted by litjockey9353 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 7:36 AM
  • "The USA must be doing something right, we lead the world nations in violent gun deaths. Makes you proud to be an American."

Hard to believe, what with wars raging in places such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, and many parts of Africa. But, I suppose, those are non-violent gun deaths, eh? Or do we not count state-sanctioned killings in those figures?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 8:06 AM
  • El Salvador, for example, has a firearms death rate of over 50 per 100,000 citizens, compared to 9 per 100,000 for the United States.

We come in 12th in firearms death rate. That's too high, but its significantly less than made out to be. Of about 31,000 firearms deaths in the United States in 2010, about 60% were suicides.

As I've said, methinks we have more of a mental health problem than a gun problem. Perhaps the fact that so much of our population lives their lives medicated, legally or illegally, with mind-altering drugs has something to do with that.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 8:33 AM
  • "Of about 31,000 firearms deaths in the United States in 2010, about 60% were suicides."

That is amazing. This equates to 1550 non-suicide killings per month. or in other terms, the equivalent of 6 "9/11" events per year and we seem to be happy with that. (Or at least few people on SO seem to be concerned enough to suggest doing something about it.)

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:45 PM
  • "This equates to 1550 non-suicide killings per month. or in other terms, the equivalent of 6 "9/11" events per year and we seem to be happy with that."

I haven't seen anyone say they are happy about that. However, in the case of those shootings that involve a potential victim that uses a firearm to terminate a threat to their person or to other persons, I'm happy about those.

The figure does not make a distinction between good civilians killed by bad guys, bad guys killed by good civilians, or those good or bad persons killed by police.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:52 PM
  • Commonsensematters , Dexterite and others...your comments do not surprise me. You and the rest of liberal Amerika scream for gun control, and I give you statistics proving Connecticut has some of the most strict gun laws in the U.S. (including 84 types of assualt rifles) and it doesn't even click. A friend once said that you can't win an argument with a liberal stating facts, thank you for proving that friends point.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:55 PM
  • -- Posted by BCStoned on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:35 PM

Thanks BC,

I had seen that video clip once before. It is worth watching until it is firmly implanted in our brain.

That young lady did not look like a vicious killer to me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 4:07 PM
  • Wow. That video is one of the best I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing that. Very powerful. I'd suggest everyone view it.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 4:43 PM
  • " Its about being able to protect our rights from you guys up there"

Very well said.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 6:03 PM
  • Speaking of gun control and the constitution anyone have an opinion on this?

Wouldn't it be 100% legal for me to shoulder a 30-30 rifle with a strap and walk in down town St. Louis? I believe that non-concealed weapons are legal. You never see anyone do that.

I would be hassled and arrested. Is that legal or illegal?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:19 PM
  • Now Dug. I don't believe you would make it two blocks. You would be rifleless. That is home base of the professionals. They would snatch that rifle off your shoulder and you would never miss it, until you went to put it back in your car. Reminds me of the trip we took on the Rapido into Rome years ago. We were warned about the Pick Pockets at the train station. They said they were true professionals. Had everybody scared they were going to lose their passports and their money. Should've seen that bunch of tourists waltzing around to get on the bus.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:28 PM
  • Imagine how many people would be alarmed, irrational and hysterical at my perfectly legal action.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:52 PM
  • I once knew a dealer of old west high quality non-firable replica fire arms. If you frequent auction events and highway long yard sales you may have seen him. He is always dressed in late 1800's western wear with a large caliber revolver impressively holstered off a well loaded ammo belt.

He told me he lost count of the times deputys have stopped him, a few asking for ID and a few demanding to see a permit for the gun. He said he always asked if it was illegal to openly carry in Missouri and sometimes got some dumb looks. He said just for fun he let some of them call in for an answer instead of telling them it is a collector non-firing gun.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:54 PM
  • Old John,

A few years back this friend and I were tooling down the highway in his newly aquired something or other 60's model 4 door Lincoln Convertible. One with the suicide rear doors. He decided to hang this foot that one of his kids had given him for a gag gift out of the trunk. Well suddenly there was a car with a bubble gum machine on top pulled in behind us and this South Carolina Patrolman asked him to get out of the car and come around back. Next thing I heard was, what the hell do you call that? My friend was interrupting himself explaining when the Office said, well you have just scared hell out of some little old lady who reported you passing her with body parts hanging out of the trunk.

He chatted for a few minutes and then said...... I don't know if we have a law on that here in South Carolina or not, but would you please put that in the trunk until you are out of my State?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:21 PM
  • Just talked to a Canadian who lives across the border of Detroit, town over 900,000 NO gun deaths for over 2 years because all guns must be registered. So something works.

-- Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:16 AM
  • -- Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:16 AM

Long guns are not registered in Canada as the registry was found to be impractical, too expensive and was scrapped.

-- Posted by 356 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:40 AM
  • By the way, if any organization is considering publishing the names of registered gun owners in this area, please give me an opportunity to add my name and address to the list. I don't own a gun and I'm pretty sure I don't want some people to know that. I'd rather have them think my home is better protected than my neighbors.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:49 AM
  • "... across the border of Detroit, town over 900,000..."

I never was good at geography, what town would that be?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:28 AM
  • -- Posted by Dexterite1 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:16 AM

Just think of what you posted. Really really think.

You are insinuating that because a gun is registered that a killer won't use it to murder someone? Do you really believe that murderers look at a gun and say "this one is registered, I'm not going to kill someone"?

You've made one of the best points against gun control. It's all hogwash and will not do one thing to stop PEOPLE killing PEOPLE.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:31 AM
  • "... across the border of Detroit, town over 900,000..."

I never was good at geography, what town would that be?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:28 AM

I believe it is Windsor.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:44 AM
  • Wheels, I knew where Windsor was, didn't know it was that populated. I only remember Windsor since our last trip into Canada when I learned they share the logo of City of Roses with Cape.

I don't think murder rates can be accurately related to gun laws as there is an element of respect for the law to be considered.

The Windsor comparison makes BC's point that gun control is not a liberal for conservative against thing but a basic yearning of government powered elitists.

Gun control works, ask anyone that has studied Stalin, Castro, Hitler, Mussilini, and several other well known tyrants.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:35 AM
  • Old John,

I found this on the internet for Windsor's population.

Population in 2006 - 216,473

Also found they had a stabbing in Nov 2012.

That seems to make Dexter's report less than 25% factual, or they have had one hell of an increase in the past 6 years.

A couple of things could be the reason, Canadians are poor shots, they actually follow the rules and do not own handguns, which would be the weapon of choice, or the whole report is less than 25% accurate.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:53 AM
  • Windsor stats are from 1997. Regardless, there are many cities the size of Windsor in the US that have similar statistics. Comparing any city to Detroit is ludicrous - as are most of these silly non-responses - as recognized by Michael Graham:

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/opinion/op_ed/2013/01/white_house_misfires_...

The position of pro-Second Amendment Americans is that gun ownership is part of the fundamental human right to self-defense, explicitly stated in the Constitution by the Founding Fathers due to an overarching political philosophy regarding the balance of power between the individual and the state.

"The position of the anti-gun activists in the Obama administration is "guns are icky." The media consider them the intellectuals in this debate."

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 1:43 PM

Respond to this thread