Speak Out: Who Won the Second Debate

Posted by voyager on Tue, Oct 16, 2012, at 10:06 PM:

How in your opinion did the Second Debate affect the election and why do you think so?

Replies (59)

• Is Romney for equal pay or not? Binders full of women, I know a few who would like to give him a piece of their mind.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Tue, Oct 16, 2012, at 10:19 PM
  • Obama never answered a single question. A guy asks "Who denied the extra security requests from the Ambassador?". Then he began his spin and never answered the question.

Another guy asks "Your secretary of Energy said we need higher gas prices. Why?". Again, that is a factual statement and Obama never answered it.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Oct 16, 2012, at 10:31 PM
  • It was not a runaway, but I would give it to Romney.

Given both debates, Romney outranks Obama considerably.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Oct 16, 2012, at 10:41 PM
  • I'll give it to President Obama. He had a good night and romney was compared to Bush : ) Oops

And Romney ended up looking worse than Bush. He wasn't the success he claims to have been in Mass. Look at the facts...he didn't run for a second term, because he wasn't going to win - do you call that success? Romney failed Mass.

-- Posted by Deb56 on Tue, Oct 16, 2012, at 10:49 PM
  • Was Shapley at the debates?

http://politicker.com/2012/10/reporters-preparing-to-cover-debate-by-drinking-fr...

"Anheuser-Busch is a strong advocate of responsible drinking. Hunter may have noticed our displays highlighting our 30 years of being an industry leader in supporting alcohol responsibility as well as the Designate a Driver coasters at each table in the hospitality area."

:)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:07 AM
  • Old John,

Does that then qualify this debate as a 'Beer Summit'?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:11 AM
  • Wheels, A buddy back years ago went to an important training session in a big hotel and they were having some sort of convention with a free open bar in the lobby. He made it to his meeting just in time to sign the attendance sheet.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:18 AM
  • Old John,

You think those reporters might have had enough to drink that they might actually forget orders and report the truth for a change?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:26 AM
  • Wheels, No they will just interview each other for their reporting.

The important stuff like what Michelle was wearing can always be a big story to send back.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:33 AM
  • Old John,

Regarding your buddy. Remembering the glory days when some of the suppliers at a convention or show whould have hospitality rooms with free food and drinks. Just trying to be cordial you know and making as many of them as you could, would sometimes test a man's capacity.

I remember Monsanto's being especially elaborate and being about the 4th one we hit. I was walking over to the bar and wondered what it was causing people ahead of me to make large steps on their way up to the bar. As I got a little further into the room I realized it was one of the attendies who must have got an early start that morning and was so tired he just layed down on the floor to take a nap. Everybody was just politely stepping over the poor exhausted fellow.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:41 AM
  • Wheels, Most of the expos we attended were in some of the best and biggest resort hotels. I most always earned the travel and basic lodging through incentive. Being one to need coffee to start the day and being a cheapskate, I learned quickly that there is most always coffee somewhere and many times it was where our folks were setting up for the day. Beats room service at $5 per pop or the hotel cafe at $2 a cup.

I wonder if any campaign money was spent at the debates.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:55 AM
  • The President won this debate.

-- Posted by donacita on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 7:27 AM
  • The winner of the debate is in the eye of the beholder. You see what you want to see.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 8:46 AM
  • He did better Donacita. He lied through most of it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 8:46 AM
  • Dug, You need to re-watch the speech. The President took responsibility. -- Posted by Me'Lange on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 5:56 AM

No - the debate I watched had the following question - "We were sitting around, talking about Libya, and we were reading and became aware of reports that the State Department refused extra security for our embassy in Benghazi, Libya, prior to the attacks that killed four Americans. Who was it that denied enhanced security and why?"

If the president answered it please tell me WHO was it that denied enhanced security and WHY? He never answered the question.

WHich gets to the interesting point of bias - those that love Obama will say he answered the question. "The buck stops here" is no answer to that question. That is a spin answer.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 8:51 AM
  • QUICK SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!

AN ELDERLY WHITE MAN IS BEING SAVAGELY BEATEN BY A MAN OF COLOR ON LIVE TELEVISION!

No wait, it's just Romney getting verbally pummeled by President Obama.

-- Posted by SmokeRing on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 9:01 AM
  • Smoke Ring.

Blowing smoke up everyone's *** is Obama's job. You make a poor substitute.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 9:09 AM
  • To me, Romney came across a little bit like a snake oil salesman. He kept referring to his "Five Point Plan" and how it will create jobs, reduce taxes, lower the deficit, smooth wrinkles, remove stains and cure meemaw's angina. It certainly may do all those things and more...but magic elixirs seldom work as promised and I don't know what's in his.

Obama was more specific with his answers and seemed to have an actual plan, but I question his ability to accomplish anything. His greatest accomplishment as President has been to bring a group of disparate people together and unite them for a common cause. Those people of course are called Republicans and they are united against anything Obama says or does. Add to that the Democrats natural proclivity to disagree and you end up with a congress that is likely not to be able to pass any legislation, good or bad.

Of course, that could be the best possible outcome.

-- Posted by DADES on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 9:42 AM
  • Excuse me Voyager, but I think Obama may have taught "Old Butch" his trick and Voters need to know this before going to the polls on November 6.

"Old" John was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young layers (hens), called 'pullets,' and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs.. He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and was replaced. This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to his roosters. Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which rooster was performing. Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just listening to the bells.

Old John's favorite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen, but this morning he noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all! When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming, would run for cover. To Old John's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't ring. He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.

Old John was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Saint Lawrence County Fair and he became an overnight sensation among the judges.

The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Piece Prize," but they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.

Clearly old Butch was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician could figure out how to win two of the most coveted awards on our planet by being the best at sneaking up on the unsuspecting populace and screwing them when they weren't paying attention.

Vote carefully this fall, the bells are not always audible.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 9:51 AM
  • "To me, Romney came across a little bit like a snake oil salesman. He kept referring to his "Five Point Plan" and how it will create jobs, reduce taxes, lower the deficit, smooth wrinkles, remove stains and cure meemaw's angina. It certainly may do all those things and more...but magic elixirs seldom work as promised and I don't know what's in his."

Good Grief Dades, surely not.... that was what got us in so much trouble in 2008 "Hope and Change" and "Yes We Can".

Anyone else remember that? How is that "Hope and Change" working out do you think? And "Yes We Can" turned into 'No we Cannot' even while Obama had a majority in both the Senate and the House.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 9:58 AM
  • @Wheels-

I thought that blowing smoke up everyone's *** is Romney's job. You make a poor substitute.

-- Posted by SmokeRing on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 10:14 AM
  • -- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 11:17 AM
  • Me'Lange, Did I miss the part where raising tariffs were mentioned?

"Interesting the President has not used the auto stimulus and current auto sales in his campaign. Most predicted the surge in sales caused by the stimulus would result in a severe fall off in sales -- just the opposite happened."

So how are those Volt sales coming along? Obama didn't want to bring up his auto stimulus and be countered with his money down the rat hole of failed companies he backed. He did mention that he is responsible for us all going to be driving sardine cans with dust buster motors someday as to get double the fuel mileage. :)

His approach to education, health services, energy and so much more is not to be concerned about the rising prices but to advocate easier financing or more sacrifice in freedom and standard of living by the public.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 11:35 AM
  • -THE TRUTH HURTS-

There is only one promise that Obama made that actually happened. That is the death of Osama bin Laden. Although, I would like to see habeas corpus in the matter.

Other than that, under his administration the state of the nation has greatly worsened.

You people who think he needs more time are either insane or don't study current affairs. Anybody try finding a new job lately?

The price of gasoline question never got answered either. Hello? Knock, knock. It's double what it was in 2008. A 2lb block of cheese was $4.98. Now, it's $7.98.

-Unemployment was 5%, now, 8%.

-Yearly GDP has increased about 1%. Not anywhere close enough to keep up with population growth or the way this administration spends money.

-People receiving food stamps was 32mil, now, 46mil.

-Personal bankruptcies have increased by almost 50%.

-foreclosures are up and home sales are down.

-Consumer confidence dropped from 87% to 65%.

-Federal spending is up.

-Annual federal deficit went from 458B to 1.33T.

-Cumulative public debt has risen from 5T to 11T.

Need more proof that the current Prez is a big lying smoke blower?

I'm ready to give somebody else a shot. Doing the same thing over and over is not working. Hello?

Blow some more smoke if it makes you happy, but don't expect silent ascent from the disenchanted crew here.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:20 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 12:52 PM
  • I don't hold the radio show 'Democracy Now' or Amy Goodman in very high esteem, however, they do put out some good info...usually with a fast left hand spin, though.

That being said, the article entitled "The lame rules for presidential debates: a perfect microcosm of US democracy" that Rick V links to above is absolutely worth reading.

Good catch Rick.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 1:10 PM
  • Those people of course are called Republicans and they are united against anything Obama says or does.

-- Posted by DADES on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 9:42 AM

Some of them are also called Democrats that took the bait last time.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 1:16 PM
  • Based on his performance, as an employee, he would be fired and should be. He's all show and no substance and the Obama Lovers can't argue the facts:

-Yearly GDP has increased about 1%. Not anywhere close enough to keep up with population growth or the way this administration spends money.

-Federal spending is up.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • .Rick., I just remembered something about bin Laden. Or at least I think I remember something...

Wasn't bin Laden on kidney dialysis back in 2001? He would for sure be dead now. Anyway, I seem to remember some reports out of Europe, I want to say it was the UK, that reported his death due to kidney failure.

I'll see if I can dig up anything.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 5:04 PM
  • Here we go, I knew it was out there:

Report: Bin Laden Already Dead

Published December 26, 2001

FoxNews.com

Usama bin Laden has died a peaceful death due to an untreated lung complication, the Pakistan Observer reported, citing a Taliban leader who allegedly attended the funeral of the Al Qaeda leader.

"The Coalition troops are engaged in a mad search operation but they would never be able to fulfill their cherished goal of getting Usama alive or dead," the source said.

Bin Laden, according to the source, was suffering from a serious lung complication and succumbed to the disease in mid-December, in the vicinity of the Tora Bora mountains. The source claimed that bin Laden was laid to rest honorably in his last abode and his grave was made as per his Wahabi belief.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41576,00.html#ixzz29b5Jeotp

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 5:15 PM
  • New York Times report on Bin Laden's death:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/11/opinion/the-death-of-bin-ladenism.html?pagewan...

And this from the original news source, The Pakistan Observer:

http://pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=43240

So, I guess poor Obama can't even claim this event as his own. Maybe the FBI didn't tell him bin Laden was already dead. You think???

Hey, spin doctors, put that in your pipes and smoke it up!

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 5:36 PM
  • "put that in your pipes and smoke it up!"

How old are you?

-- Posted by survivalist on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 8:25 PM
  • "How old are you?"

Watch it. I'll start posting in other languages just to mess with your circulating life force. Maybe you just need to call a plumber? Or, check Google maps, there's a strong probability you may be on the wrong planet.

-- Posted by dchannes on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 10:41 PM
  • Actually, President Obama has kept 192 of his campaign promises, he has compromised on 76 (the sign of someone willing to work for the Country), and stalled on 45. 107 are still in the works.

Your math skills appear to be incorrect.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:15 AM
  • "...bin Laden was already dead. You think???"

That may be related to the problem. Your failure to think. Try the putting brain in gear first.

Osama bin Laden could clearly have wanted the US to believe that he was dead...

So we would stopping looking for him to kill him. I guess we can discard the DNA evidence, finger prints, documents, relatives, data discs, photographs, etc. that the Seal Team collected. Some blog from Pakistan is so much more reliable.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:40 AM
  • "...bin Laden was already dead. You think???"

That may be related to the problem. Your failure to think. Try the putting brain in gear first.

Osama bin Laden could clearly have wanted the US to believe that he was dead...

So we would stopping looking for him to kill him. I guess we can discard the DNA evidence, finger prints, documents, relatives, data discs, photographs, etc. that the Seal Team collected. Some blog from Pakistan is so much more reliable.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:41 AM
  • "Actually, President Obama has kept 192 of his campaign promises, he has compromised on 76 (the sign of someone willing to work for the Country), and stalled on 45. 107 are still in the works."

Hmmmmmm! I have heard that phrase before... if not exact, very close. Interesting.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:07 AM
  • Your math skills appear to be incorrect. -- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:15 AM

Your source appears to be the DNC or huffington post.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 9:41 AM
  • Dug, My source is Politifact. They check both the Republican and Democratic parties for facts. Have Wheels, I got the information from the website, but rephrased it, so I didn't add quotation marks. I don't think I posted this before.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 12:15 PM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 12:15 PM

If you want a good read on "PoltiFact" and it's bias here you go:

http://www.politifactbias.com/

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 12:28 PM
  • I don't think I posted this before.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 12:15 PM

No Reasoning, I don't think you did either. But another Poster who seem to be absent did and then you show up recently and now post it..... makes a guy go Hmmmmmmm.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 1:03 PM
  • In the last couple of years? I don't post often, because I know I won't make a difference. I only have posted more recently because of the up coming election, then I will probably slide back into the background again. I am up front with who I am and what I believe.

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 1:22 PM
  • k'nick k'nick would be a good place to start looking for pipe filling material .

-- Posted by .Rick. on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 10:34 AM

It's a lot better for the lungs than what the Libs are smoking.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 4:48 PM
  • If Romney wins will the Democrats be anti-war again?

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 5:16 PM
  • commonsensematters,

Speaking of being able to think, do you believe that the Navy Seal the published his book regarding to so-called capture and killing of Bin Laden is fact? The Pentagon issues a statement saying, at first, he shouldn't be allowed to publish the book because he might divulge State secrets. Now, after they let him publish it, they are supposedly reviewing it? This is hogwash. They merely released propaganda for the idiots. How about you believe your sources and I'll question all of them. Whether he died in 2001 or 2012, we will never know. To claim such is foolishness.

Reasoning, I repeat the stats:

The price of gasoline question never got answered either. Hello? Knock, knock. It's double what it was in 2008. A 2lb block of cheese was $4.98. Now, it's $7.98.

-Federal spending is up.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 5:41 PM
  • "Is Romney for equal pay or not? Binders full of women, I know a few who would like to give him a piece of their mind."

I think he answered that well enough. Mr. Obama is clearly for using the power of government to set private salaries and other forms of intervention. Mr. Romney says the best way to improve the salaries of women is to create an economy in which more job opportunities exist for hiring them and better opportunities for advancement.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:30 PM
  • Hunter, good to see you back. On vacation? :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:42 PM
  • The complete list of faltering or bankrupt green-energy companies:

Evergreen Solar ($24 million)*

SpectraWatt ($500,000)*

Solyndra ($535 million)*

Beacon Power ($69 million)*

AES's subsidiary Eastern Energy ($17.1 million)

Nevada Geothermal ($98.5 million)

SunPower ($1.5 billion)

First Solar ($1.46 billion)

Babcock and Brown ($178 million)

EnerDel's subsidiary Ener1 ($118.5 million)*

Amonix ($5.9 million)

National Renewable Energy Lab ($200 million)

Fisker Automotive ($528 million)

Abound Solar ($374 million)*

A123 Systems ($279 million)*

Willard and Kelsey Solar Group ($6 million)

Johnson Controls ($299 million)

Schneider Electric ($86 million)

Brightsource ($1.6 billion)

ECOtality ($126.2 million)

Raser Technologies ($33 million)*

Energy Conversion Devices ($13.3 million)*

Mountain Plaza, Inc. ($2 million)*

Olsen's Crop Service and Olsen's Mills Acquisition Company ($10 million)*

Range Fuels ($80 million)*

Thompson River Power ($6.4 million)*

Stirling Energy Systems ($7 million)*

LSP Energy ($2.1 billion)*

UniSolar ($100 million)*

Azure Dynamics ($120 million)*

GreenVolts ($500,000)

Vestas ($50 million)

LG Chem's subsidiary Compact Power ($150 million)

Nordic Windpower ($16 million)*

Navistar ($10 million)

Satcon ($3 million)*

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:19 PM
  • -- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:29 PM
  • "Hunter, good to see you back."

Thanks!

"On vacation?"

Yes and no. We went to St. Augustine, Florida for vacation, but added a working trip on the end of it.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:35 PM
  • "Romney initially hired 14 women among 33 appointments to his cabinet -- 42% of the total -- but by the end of his four-year term, the number of women in his administration was 25%, lower than the previous or subsequent governors." - CNN

Mr. Romney says the best way to improve the salaries of women is to create an economy in which more job opportunities exist for hiring them and better opportunities for advancement.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 6:30 PM

-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:02 PM
  • "The complete list of faltering or bankrupt green-energy companies:"

Dug, thanks for your work on this. Do you have a total on the amount of money the Administration threw away on these companies? My calculator doesn't go that high?

On the, "Solyndra ($535 million)". On them I heard more like $90 Billion alone. Help me here.

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:47 PM
  • "We went to St. Augustine, Florida for vacation, but added a working trip on the end of it."

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:35 PM

Well I hope you you and yours had a good time and blessings be upon your business.

Your analyses were missed. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:53 PM
  • "-- Posted by Reasoning on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:02 PM"

And? Are you saying he is obligated to retain some sort of quota?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 9:05 PM
  • Rick,

I was calculating the "lesser of the two evils", and thought that if Romney is elected at least the Dems will act like they are anti-war again. That was the best I could do for Mittens.

If O-bomb-ya is elected, at least we only have four more years of him.

-- Posted by Rick Vandeven on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 9:15 PM
  • My suggestion is plant a very large garden and invest in canning supplies, a few solar panels and some way of obtaining water. :)

-- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 9:20 PM
  • I wasn't too proud of Romney's BS about going out and looking for women to hire. That's the same strategy that got us Janet Reno and a few of our current nut jobs. Not just women but others to fit the PC standards we have come to expect.

I wonder if how many of those women Romney hired left for government paid maternity leave and didn't come back. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 10:47 PM
  • On the, "Solyndra ($535 million)". On them I heard more like $90 Billion alone. Help me here. -- Posted by dchannes on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:47 PM

The Solyndra number is correct. I believe the total amount set aside for "green" investments by the US Government was around $80 BILLION in the stimulus. Most of it went to democrat donors that gave specifically to Obama before and after their loans/grants.

Obama gives them TAXPAYER money. They, in turn, give millions in campaign money back to Obama. Then they go bankrupt. Obama makes Wall St. look like Sesame Street compared to his money laundering.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 11:04 PM
  • Dug, that's why, when you see a guy running state Senate, and spending millions of his own dollars on the campaign, people want a job as a politician. The salaries ain't much but the perks are unbelievable!

-- Posted by dchannes on Fri, Oct 19, 2012, at 9:36 AM

Respond to this thread