Speak Out: Them's fightin' words!

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 7:25 AM:

Seen in a Cambodian Newspaper:

"I would like to publicly apologize for getting into a fist fight with NedK at the Garage this evening. To JM, I am sorry, I know that you don't want your bar to get a bad reputation. Please convey my apologies to the girls as well. They work hard and do not need that sort of hassle. Also, know that I will take fin...ancial responsibility for the damage caused to the bar. I would also like to thank that anonymous patron who pulled Ned off of me. Had it not been for you, Ned would have put me in the hospital.

"Ned, I apologize for sucker punching you in the face. We both had too many beers, that is not in doubt. I will accept the role that I played here. However, you need to admit your role as well. When you postulated an absurd theory of aesthetics I patiently showed you why you were wrong. I even ignored your provocation when you laughably asserted that literature was more revelatory of the truth and the human condition than philosophy: as if that were possible. (Come on, literature is just mental masturbation in comparison to the western philosophical tradition.) I get it, you were becoming angry, I studied logic and you studied poetics. What more needs to be said? But, when you asserted that Shakespeare was a a more pivotal figure than Socrates in western civilization, you were asking for it. No?

"Once again, sorry for ruining everyone's night."

God only knows how many times I've seen Texans get their nose broken for suggesting that the Sonnets of William Shakespeare were inferior to the those of Elizabeth Browning Barrett...

If you're going to express those kinds of radical views, you'd better be prepared to back 'em with your fists!

Replies (4)

• Sorry, make that Elizabeth Barrett Browning... I hope I didn't get anybody's hackles up by mistakenly typing her name. It was just the beer typing...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 7:27 AM
  • SH

I'm speechless.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 9:12 AM
  • In case you've ever wondered why they don't serve alcohol in the Public Library...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jul 9, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • Rick O, treat a broad like a broad and punch the broad back. Duh!

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 5:27 AM

Respond to this thread