Speak Out: So Obama tried to pay Jehamia Wright off in 08

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, May 14, 2012, at 6:21 PM:

Oh what webs we weave. $150K not to preach until the election was over.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/the_bribe_to_silence_wright_io9jneobl3fUF0...

Replies (45)

• Why has Common not stepped up to dispel these "facts". Where is Theorist? Surely she will condemn him for this dastardly act, the same way she has Romney over some nitsh*t kid stuff from almost 50 years ago.

I cannot believe the Libs are not all over this. A Presidential Candidate trying to bribe a Preacher no less.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 9:24 AM
  • Does he still have the e-mail?

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 9:32 AM
  • Lets talk about the Bain Capital ad. When the steel mill closed Romney had been gone for 4+ years but Obama said it is his fault. Obama is again lying. Also at the same time Bain bought it 40 steel mills closed their doors.

BTW at the time the mill was closing Romney was straitening out the Olympics which was hemorrhaging money and turned out to be profitable.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 9:42 AM
  • B. Hussein Obama comes out of Chicago, need I say more... he is as dirty as the dirtiest of the politicains from that place.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 10:10 AM
  • SH,

Would think the media could probably dig the e-mail up if they had the dedication to doing it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 10:11 AM
  • The story says an unnamed someone on the Obama team allegedly did this. The title of the post accuses President Obama.

Here is what the Rev. Wright said...

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three strike law and then wants us to sing God Bless America. Naw, naw, naw. Not God Bless America. God **** America! That's in the Bible. For killing innocent people. God **** America for treating us citizens as less than human. God **** America as long as she tries to act like she is God and she is Supreme."

He is obviously wrong about the government "giving" drugs but there is a significant difference between penalties for crack and regular cocaine.

"Killing innocent people..." refers to lynching of black Americans, so the simple question is does God bless lynching or does God **** lynching?

"...treating us citizens as less than human..." refers to slavery so the next question is does God bless slavery or does God **** slavery?

"...she tries to act like she is God..." questions whether America as a nation should act like God. So is the American government a "God" or is it not?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:31 PM
  • Since the Republicans have been twisting Rev. Wright's words so ferociously, why would someone not feel it would be better to have fewer sermons.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:49 PM
  • The american people didn't seem too bothered by Rev Wright in 2008. But by all means, please run on this issue. -- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:43 PM

Because liberals like you believed Obama's answer. Despite the fact that he sat in the church on Sundays he said he didn't pay attention to what his mentor Rev. Wright said.

And you said "Oh, I see" and voted for him. You're too easily fooled.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:51 PM
  • "...didn't pay attention to what his mentor Rev. Wright said."

You have an extract of what he said. Do you think God blesses slavery and lynching, or does God **** slavery and lynching?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:57 PM
  • Another article on the same subject. It DOES NOT say that Obama offered the bribe but he DID ask for a private meeting to ask Jeremiah Wright not to make any more public comments until after the election. One thing it seems to demonstrate that Obama did know what Wright was saying from his pulpit at the church although Obama, in his campaign, went to great lengths to claim that he had no knowledge of, had never heard, Wright make some of his incendiary comments.

I do not accuse Obama of having sent someone to make the offer. I do not claim that he knew about the attempted bribe; it must have been a coincidence that he made the same suggestion to Wright in private.

But, Obama was CEO of this election campaign just as he is now CEO of this country. And apparently he was not in charge of his staffers, they acted independently and without his approval. Just as his attorney general, his appointees at the EPA, those who approved of the billions in dollars wasted on 'green energy' startups that went belly-up, etc. Although he is President I would not accuse him of being involved in corruption and questionable activities but I WILL note that his administration has many ethical challenges. And I WOULD hold him accountable for the actions of those who work in his behalf.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/05/13/jeremiah-wright-claims-obama-ally-offered-...

Jeremiah Wright claims Obama ally offered $150,000 bribe in 2008 to shut up

POSTED AT 10:31 AM ON MAY 13, 2012 BY ED MORRISSEY

Hey, guess who's back? In his new book on Barack Obama titled The Amateur, Edward Klein caught up with Jeremiah Wright, Obama's minister and friend for 20 years and pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. The Hillary Clinton campaign nearly derailed Obama's nomination by digging up Wright's incendiary and controversial sermons at TUCC, including exhortations like, "God **** America!" and saying that 9/11 was nothing more than America's chickens coming home to roost -- among many other statements. Obama later proclaimed ignorance of Wright's rants despite his long association with TUCC, and eventually renounced Wright and TUCC entirely when Wright wouldn't keep his mouth shut.

In his on-the-record interview with Klein, Wright claims that an Obama ally offered him $150,000 to keep his mouth shut and stop preaching until after the election, in excerpts published by the New York Post today:

'Man, the media ate me alive," Wright told me when we met in his office at Chicago's Kwame Nkrumah Academy. "After the media went ballistic on me, I received an e-mail offering me money not to preach at all until the November presidential election."

"Who sent the e-mail?" I asked Wright.

"It was from one of Barack's closest friends."

"He offered you money?"

"Not directly," Wright said. "He sent the offer to one of the members of the church, who sent it to me."

"How much money did he offer you?"

"One hundred and fifty thousand dollars," Wright said.

According to Wright, Obama met personally with his then-pastor to ask him to do the same, although Obama apparently didn't offer money for his silence. Wright's version of the conversation makes it clear that Obama knew very well what his pastor had preached from the pulpit, and what he was likely to do once attention focused on him:

"And one of the first things Barack said was, 'I really wish you wouldn't do any more public speaking until after the November election.' He knew I had some speaking engagements lined up, and he said, 'I wish you wouldn't speak. It's gonna hurt the campaign if you do that.'

"And what did you say?" I asked. "I said, 'I don't see it that way. And anyway, how am I supposed to support my family?' And he said, 'Well, I wish you wouldn't speak in public. The press is gonna eat you alive.'

"Barack said, 'I'm sorry you don't see it the way I do. Do you know what your problem is?' And I said, 'No, what's my problem?' And he said, 'You have to tell the truth.' I said, 'That's a good problem to have. That's a good problem for all preachers to have. That's why I could never be a politician.'

Sounds as though Obama knew full well what the "truth" was going to be once Wright started talking to the media, at least according to Wright's version of events. Wright doesn't have much to lose by telling the story now, but it should be noted in fairness that he might have a lot to gain. If the media takes more interest in Wright this time around, he's going to be a pretty hot property for the next five months.

I'd expect the White House to begin decrying distractions in the election campaign coverage in 5 ... 4... 3 ... 2 ...

Update: In retrospect, the Obama friend should be glad that Wright turned down his offer. It sounds a lot like the kind of thing that got John Edwards into trouble.

Tags: 2008 elections, 2012 presidential election, distractions, Jeremiah Wright, obama, TUCC

-- Posted by Robert* on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:58 PM
  • Common. We know what he said. Obama offered him $15K hush money to be quiet until the election was over.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 3:09 PM
  • You have an extract of what he said. Do you think God blesses slavery and lynching, or does God **** slavery and lynching?

What does this have to do with the bribe?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 3:13 PM
  • What about Bain Capital common?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 3:25 PM
  • You have an extract of what he said. Do you think God blesses slavery and lynching, or does God **** slavery and lynching? -- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 2:57 PM

You have a lie of what he said. He said God **** America!!! Over and over. Did you miss the audio? And you said "Hey, that's OK" and voted for Obama. You are too easily fooled.

And now about the payoff to Rev. Wright to stop "telling the truth" - Obama's words. Spin that.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • "Since the Republicans have been twisting Rev. Wright's words so ferociously, why would someone not feel it would be better to have fewer sermons."

He's free to suggest it. However, it is not proper for his campaign to pay him 'hush money'.

Methinks former Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate John Edwards is in trouble for something along those lines right now...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 4:00 PM
  • It would be interesting to see if, were this proven to be true, the Democrats would denounce him as a 'slimeball' (à la John Edwards), or would that only happen after he is no longer considered a viable candidate (also à la John Edwards)...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 4:03 PM
  • You have an extract of what he said. Do you think God blesses slavery and lynching, or does God **** slavery and lynching?

Common,

I believe you will find that Slavery was aboloshed about 1865 in the North... Lincoln declared it was over in the South with the Gettysburg Address. If you believe Lincoln had the power to abolish slavery in the South... I guess it was over a couple of years or so in the South before it was in the North.

So far as lynchings go, they happened in the white and black communities for quite awhile afterwards. I believe the last one in Missouri happened in SEMO with a white man being the le coup de ma"tre, at least according to what I remember reading somewhere.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 4:03 PM
  • Oh Heaven help me.... make that 'abolished'.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 4:09 PM
  • "Lincoln declared it was over in the South with the Gettysburg Address."

That would be the Emancipation Proclamation. The Gettysburg Address was the dedictation of a burial ground for soldiers who lost their lives there.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 4:33 PM
  • Ooops, Thank you. Yes you are correct SH. I think everything else is pretty close to correct. Lincoln still presumed to free people he had no control over.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 6:23 PM
  • Still have the same unanswered question...

Do you think (1) God blesses slavery and lynching, or does (2) God dam slavery and lynching?

How about a simple answer. Now you just have to pick 1 or 2.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 7:02 PM
  • Common

What about Bain Capital?

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Tue, May 15, 2012, at 7:07 PM
  • Common, When I first heard the sound bites of Rev Wright I recognized just what you are saying. If he would have used different language, worded it differently to say, he would not have gained media attention. I clearly understand the point he was making, only a bit confused on wether he is indicating past, present or future on the damming.

As far as politics in the matter, this is another conformation that the president is one comfortable associating with folks eager to declare it's all America's fault.

If you poke around you can read and learn a lot more about Rev Wright's thinking and preaching that suggests he and the president could both have a son that would look like Obama! :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 2:01 AM
  • Common, When I first heard the sound bites of Rev Wright I recognized just what you are saying. If he would have used different language, worded it differently to say, he would not have gained media attention.-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 2:01 AM

I don't know. I think if a preacher/pastor/priest in any church I've attended would have said that over and over I would have left.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 8:19 AM
  • "Do you think (1) God blesses slavery and lynching, or does (2) God dam slavery and lynching?"

He permitted his own people to suffer under the yoke of slavery for generations, before sending Moses to free them.

To say that he 'dams' slavery and lynching is incorrect. We believe, as Christians, that he condemns slavers and lynchers, the perpetrators of the act, not the institution.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 8:25 AM
  • Common, When I first heard the sound bites of Rev Wright I recognized just what you are saying. If he would have used different language, worded it differently to say, he would not have gained media attention. I clearly understand the point he was making, only a bit confused on wether he is indicating past, present or future on the damming

OJ,

If Reverend Wright had calmly made the point that the bloodshed of the Civil War, the carpetbagger era in the south, much poverty in the South, the social uproar in the late 50's and 60's, and now the inequities of present day social engineering were a result of this country's participation in the sin of slavery I could have completely agreed with him. He chose not to have a constructive, intellectual discussion; rather he desired controversy, to 'stir the pot'.

Black liberation theology, which has its roots in some truth, is now being used by some to divide and condemn society rather than as a call to repentance and unity.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 8:39 AM
  • Wikileaks is not the most trustworthy source and is probably not acceptable to many as a cited source. One of its members going by the title 'Anonymous' is alleged to have hacked Straftor, a Texas based private intelligence firm.

It is alleged that internal emails among staff at Stratfor indicate that;

'John McCain was presented with proof that Democrats in Pennsylvania and Ohio used voter fraud to win those states.'

'there was a 'six-figure Democrat donation/bribe to Jesse Jackson to buy his silence about Israel'

There was also the charge that Russian money was accepted by Obama's campaign.

westernjournalism.com/wikileaks-obama-team-stole-election-bribed-jesse-jackson-and-took-russian-money

This is interesting, if true.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 9:22 AM
  • "...he condemns slavers and lynchers, the perpetrators of the act, not the institution."

That sounds like God feel slavery and lynching is OK but does not like slavers or lynchers.

But you do agree that God does not "bless" slavery or lynchings?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 9:35 AM
  • Slavery as an institution was carried on long before there was an America. Was it right and just... not in my opinion. And it is not relegated to one race of people. I certainly am not student of the institution but from what I have seen of it, the victims of it were the less educated and most helpless class of people.

Lynchings are a seperate matter altogether in my opinion. They were not restricted to slaves. They lynched horse thieves and murders without a trial in the western United States during it's early days. Accused murderers were dragged from their cells and lynched by angry mobs of citizen. Race played no part in that.

Common is using a tactic direct from the liberal playbook... divert attention.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 11:38 AM
  • "That sounds like God feel slavery and lynching is OK but does not like slavers or lynchers."

I do not pretend to know what God 'feels' about this institution or that. We generally regard slavery as immoral, but have not always done so. Lynching is murder. I doubt that he 'feels' either are okay.

However, slavery is an ancient tradition. The ancient Greeks used to willingly sell themselves into slavery in exchange for some provision for their family, or as payment on debt. I would suspect that, were God to 'dam' the institution, it would not have been permitted to stand for centuries.

I'm not sure that slavery, in and of itself is immoral. I would think it would be a matter of how slaves are treated that determines the morality of the institution. We, as Americans, believe in freedom, and thus find slavery to be contrary to that for which we stand. Not all nations and peoples are so bound in the love for freedom and thus, for them, slavery may well be justifiable institution. Provided, of course, that the slaves are fairly treated.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 12:16 PM
  • "Sometimes I think you would argue with a garden hose."

Having read posts from some of those with whom I've disagreed, I'm not sure I haven't. ;)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 12:18 PM
  • "Sometimes I think you would argue with a garden hose."

Having read posts from some of those with whom I've disagreed, I'm not sure I haven't. ;)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 12:18 PM

SH, you should not downgrade the intelligence of a garden hose like that. It ain't right.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 12:26 PM
  • But you do agree that God does not "bless" slavery or lynchings? -- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 9:35 AM

What is slavery? FORCED labor of 5 months a year to pay for your welfare programs? Every day I got out of the house and work for 5 months of the year go to fill your pockets and not to my families? Or Obama's donor pockets with Solyndra and others? I have a choice. Pay for your programs for 5 months or go to jail.

Again, what is slavery? I think you and Rev. Wright believe in servitude/slavery. I really do.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 12:41 PM
  • I don't know. I think if a preacher/pastor/priest in any church I've attended would have said that over and over I would have left.

-- Posted by Dug on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 8:19 AM

I guess that is the whole point concerning the controversey. It reflects on what Obama is perceived to agree with.

Robert*, That "stir the pot" mentality fits right in with Obama's community organizer activities of the past. Wright may have been preaching to the choir in that regard.

I wouldn't be surprised if all this awareness of the good Reverend's ideolgy has Clinton tracks all around it. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 3:16 PM
  • 'I guess that is the whole point concerning the controversey. It reflects on what Obama is perceived to agree with.'

And the new information from Wikileaks makes it more difficult to accept Obama's claims of ignorance of Reverend Wright's beliefs at face value.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 4:31 PM
  • Obama comes from the Chicago Democratic Machine, why would you not expect him to be dirty.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 5:23 PM
  • Wheels, That post is going to get you a scolding! just saying

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 5:42 PM
  • Wheels, That post is going to get you a scolding! just saying

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 5:42 PM

Old John,

I been cheated... been mistreated... when will I be loved?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 6:14 PM
  • Old John,

And I might add, I don't care... I'm still going to call it as I see it.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 6:15 PM
  • "...would argue with a garden hose."

Wow, there's another astute, mature comment. When some fall to a position of not having legs to stand on, they resort to juvenile name-calling.

You're plainly welcome to your choice of descriptive methods, but it hardly alters the fact that my contention has been correct. Rev. Wright was not "daming" America, the nation, but was "daming" American institutions from the past that still have an impact today. Yet somehow, some people attempt to throw doubt, blame, discredit etc. on President Obama because he attended "fire and brimstone" type sermons years ago.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 6:38 PM
  • Common,

That argument is a bit shallow. If Wright's preaching was just 'fire and brimstone' why did he feel the need to deny any knowledge of the subject matter? And, even in your 'spin', you acknowledge that Obama lied.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 6:49 PM
  • Now it is The rev damming America? I thought it was God doing the damming. But wait it gets better. It's not America being dammed but the institutions of long past. And that fire and brimstone you mention, that's a different sermon altogthter, is it not?

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 6:50 PM
  • Common speaks in tongues.

You guys have to understand you cannot pin a spin doctor like Common down. He is not necessarily limited to the facts you know.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 7:25 PM
  • But Common this is about Obama trying to pay him hush money.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 8:00 PM
  • This conversation is simply a joke with common wearing the three-eared hat. He may be trying to use a little double-speak on us now, but Common is smart enough to know we're not buying it. He's just hoping that some readers are stupid.

Read what Wright said. He was saying God should condemn America because it is evil TODAY, Not once did he mention that he was talking about prior acts of decades and centuries past. He may be trying to use a little double-speak on us now; but Common is smart enough to know we're not buying it. He's just hoping that some readers are stupid.

There is a problem with discussing murderers today and acts of slavery today. Common should be pointing out that statistics show that most murders and crimes are being committed by black men. He should also be pointing out what one of our posters noted....holding tax-payers down and making them work for the benefit of others is slavery. Perhaps Wright, in truth, is condemning Black America with his remarks but is too smart to add the adjective.

-- Posted by InReply on Wed, May 16, 2012, at 9:32 PM

Respond to this thread