Speak Out: Chronic, nasty odor by Cape Walmart

Posted by Mowrangler on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 5:47 PM:

Could be the aftermath of a few White Castles. When I eat about 10 it resembles a sewage smell.

Replies (46)

• That must be Byokawa on Nash road. Sometimes it gets up there.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 6:21 PM
  • Me'Lange, I haven't noticed any odor but I know air currents can make freak situations. The smells from the wood place near Cairo and Biokyowa can travel a long way and mix, or sometimes the local dairy farmers spread manure on the alfalfa. There are t-shirt bags in the tree tops 4 miles from Walmart.

I was going to say something about the fat lady's perfume but that may be to dry or otherwise not within your taste of humor.:)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:15 PM
  • Folks, I kinda like the odor of cow manure because it means my neighbors are prosperous.

There is a sizable drainage ditch just east of Walmart parking lot and I hope a herd of glugites didn't fall in and meet their demise. I can recognize the smell of cow manure but lack the expertise tell the age of a dirty diaper.

My in laws had a similar mystery one hot summer, turns out the old man got the groceries out of the trunk and overlooked the whole chicken. Took about two weeks to figure out it wasn't a sewer leak.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 8:31 PM
  • Are they having sewage problems...sewer gases can back up and wreak havoc.

By the way, that paper plant is south of Wickliffe Ky. And it was smelling up the entire area today. Must be going to rain.

Also loads of wet soybeans turn sour and smell....bad!!!!

-- Posted by InReply on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • A dairy farm with cows lives next to Walmart, you idiots.Cows+manure=odor! What a bunch of idiots!!

-- Posted by agape on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 7:29 PM

Dip,

Go back to the city son. We know what a farm smells like around here. BTW manure is the smell of money to me.

Mel

Biokyowa has that nasty raw sewage smell in overdrive. A conveyor dumps it out in a pit about every 30 minutes. It is actually very good fertilizer. Good mix no heavy metals. Kind of like a good Milorganite less the chance of getting Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis AKA Lou Gehrig's disease.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 10:05 PM
  • I'm sorry I left out Wickliffe. I used to deliver logs there. It really has a sweet smell with a touch of of a fat man passing gas after eating Shemwell's Barbecue.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 10:14 PM
  • "I hope a herd of glugites didn't fall in and meet their demise."

Old John,

What in tarnation is a glugite??

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 11:34 PM
  • Logically the next question I guess.... What do they eat?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 11:42 PM
  • So, Me'Lange, the answer to your problem is so simple. Quit shopping WalMart and start shopping Target.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 2:08 AM
  • Don't blame the dairy farm; they were there first.

It reminds the city folk that beef and milk don't come from the store.

I like it. It reminds me of the song, "Daddy won't sell the farm."

-- Posted by OlderEagle on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 2:32 AM
  • agape: I don't appreciate your comment calling these bloggers on here "idiots" every time you get on here you have some type of sarcastic comment to make if you cannot come up with at least some decent comments from time to time stay off of this site.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • What in tarnation is a glugite??

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel

Originally bred for pulling manure spreaders in the nation of Tar, modern machinery took over their work and many went ferrel. They crave the smell of manure and raw sewage but farmers of Tar ran them off years back when they started getting wild. The breeds known to favor the Walmart areas are of low inteligence and have been known to meet their demise by falling into steep banked sewer and drainage ditches. Some have been known to chew through RV holding tanks in Alabama. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 9:52 AM
  • Never put much faith in wikipedia. Although, I do plan on staying out of Cage Girardeau County at all cost. That is, if I can ever find it

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 9:57 AM
  • Don't blame the dairy farm; they were there first.

It reminds the city folk that beef and milk don't come from the store.

I like it. It reminds me of the song, "Daddy won't sell the farm."

-- Posted by OlderEagle on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 2:32 AM

ABSOLUTLY!!!!!! The Kirkdorfners have been there way before Cape thought they would ever go that far. They are good people, care more about the farm than money, keep a clean farm, and the frustrate the heck out of the money guys that have tried to buy it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 10:34 AM
  • OJ

Thanks for the lesson.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 10:36 AM
  • Well, that ended MY-competition for the daily 'leg-pulling'!

A glugite.

Yeah, OJ & EASY---I ALMOST 'took the bait' on this-trap!

And, I mean it was CLOSE, too...!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 12:13 PM
  • To all of those that I have offended I apoloigize.

-- Posted by agape on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 4:46 PM
  • Me'Lange, I was just thinking about you. I'm curious, what did you think of Timexx thread? Did you consider that offensive?

re: Cape Wal-mart, there has ALWAYS been a dreadful smell. I shop in Jackson now. ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 5:36 PM
  • Turnips,

I never got around to reading that thread until now. I guess my only comment would be.... them ain't grapevines he's smoking. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 5:54 PM
  • A Beast Without.

Wheels, I'm speechless. ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 6:01 PM
  • agape

Accepted

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM
  • 'a mind-wandering comment or two' is one thing but dam....that was a essay. TMI, Timexx, TMI!

-- Posted by Turnip on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 7:27 PM
  • No apology necessary here, I don't remember commenting, at least early on.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 7:41 PM
  • Wheels, Did you check your holding tank for chew marks?

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 9:54 PM
  • Old John,

Chew marks... you mean maybe as in the mouse's have been at it?

I do not have any mice. When I bought this motor home, I think two came with it, but a trip out west through the desert in Utah did them in. They apparantly could not take the heat down below, because after hitting the desert area, after Day 1 when I went to connect up the utilites that night there was a dead mouse in that bay in as low an area as he could get. I disposed of him. Day 2 same thing It was 108 degrees those two days consistently and how hot it was down there I do not know. But after that I never saw another one. And there have been none since as there are those little tell tale signs that are unmistakeable if you have them.

After that trip I sent my wife out to buy some steel wool, and I put that around, electric, water and sewer lines where they come inside. The little boogers do not like that stuff.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 12:04 AM
  • Chew marks... you mean maybe as in the mouse's have been at it?

No, we're talking glugites here. Me'lang asked a serious question. Get with the program! :) :)

Oh, and to save Theorist the trouble, That would be mice, not mouse's!

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 12:18 AM
  • I usually only go to Walmart early on Sat/Sun, haven't noticed any unusual smells at that time. Maybe my sniffer isn't as sensitive! Wondered what reaction Timexx's thread would get...good luck with all that man!

-- Posted by doggone on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 6:08 AM
  • Old John,

You think I could have glugites and not even know it? What kind of "droppings" do they leave? I will be on the lookout for them.

Are you sured it's not meese?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 6:19 AM
  • the dairy farm across from Wal-Mart has top breed cattle that poop roses....it always smells like a florist over there....the smell must be coming from the Cape County Repukelican Party headquarters

-- Posted by davidk225 on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 12:16 PM
  • "....the smell must be coming from the Cape County Repukelican Party headquarters"

Me'Lange may have been on to something when she reported over on Speak Out this morning that Juveniles are reading the paper and the Threads. You have cinched it Davidk225.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 12:29 PM
  • Let's hope not.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 12:41 PM
  • me hopes that the Republican owners of the Southeast Missourian do not take away freedom of speech by removing the Forums, after all, the Republicans are champions of the Constitution are they not?

-- Posted by davidk225 on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 1:04 PM
  • Are glugites any relation to juggalos?

-- Posted by DADES on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 1:12 PM
  • I haven't been to Wal-Mart yet this year. I've often been there when you can smell the scent of the dairy farm, which is not such a 'foul' odor.

From what Me'Lange is describing, it is more akin to the smell of derrière than dairy air!

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 2:25 PM
  • I usually try to keep up with the latest slang, but I have to say davidk255's word 'Repukelican' caught me off guard.

My first thought was that it was some sort of repugnant pelican, but I see the Democrats who created the word apparently thought it was clever to stick the word 'puke' in place of the 'pub' in 'Republican'.

And, yet, they laughed at Sarah Palin's 'Refudiate'...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 2:33 PM
  • If you can't be intelligent, at least be original.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 2:51 PM
  • .the smell must be coming from the Cape County Repukelican Party headquarters

And we have a comment from the OW crowd. Give him time to go up guys. He will find sooner or later he was wrong. Anyway he gets to pay for it.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 3:05 PM
  • There are a lot of buildings with a lot of restrooms in the area with a lot of vent stacks on the roofs. A suttle drift of heavy humid air into the area and all those fumes fall closer to the ground.

Or if not, at least it sounds plausable.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 12:34 AM
  • Easy,

Then there ought to be a law requiring Democratic and Republican headquarters be located side by side so you could contain the pollution in a small area. Build a fence around them and properly filter the air through active carbon filters and they might even be palatable.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 7:00 AM
  • "There ought to be a law..."

One of the most over-used phrases in the English language.

There used to be a Sunday cartoon called 'Hatlo's There Oughta be a law" in which he aired his pet peaves in humorous form. Unfortunately, too many people came to think that the purpose of the law was to address such pet peaves.

I don't like dog-poop on my lawn: There oughta be a law!

I don't like seeing people with their pants at half mast: there oughta be a law!

I don't like the fact that my neighbor doesn't keep his lawn as neat as my own: There oughta be a law!

My neighbor's fence is so high I can't see over it: There oughta be a law!

You get the drift...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • I understand SH. Hope you understood my post for what it was intended. Most politicians of the day stink.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 10:07 AM
  • It's called the Dairy Farm across the street.

-- Posted by Hot Dog on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 10:59 AM
  • Wheels,

Yes, I understood. It's just that I cringe when I hear those words. The bad thing about political jokes is they often become law, or lawmakers...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 12:13 PM
  • Shap, Let's not make a federal case about it. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 12:20 PM
  • "Shap, Let's not make a federal case about it."

And that, unfortunately, has become one of the most underused phrases in America... ;)

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 12:48 PM
  • Hmmmm, suggest it might be a time-of-day thing.

Been going in Wal-Mart in the wee hours of the morning (about the time the bread and chip vendors run) pretty regular - haven't noticed any olfactory annoyances.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 7:08 PM

Respond to this thread