Speak Out: American Trade With China

Posted by swampeastmissouri on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 6:09 AM:

BCStoned: It is kind of hard to slap your banker. The problem is we have borrowed so much money from these people that we have not paid back got to be very careful on this one or they will call our notes.

Replies (5)

• Just bought a new pair of boots for $49. Guess where they were made? Yep, China.

They're comfortable, warm, waterproof, etc. And they ought to last me for the rest of my lifetime.

-- Posted by voyager on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 8:12 AM
  • I recall that, way back in the '90s, the U.S. Military was outfitting its soldiers with Chinese-made boots. There was a bit of stink made at the time, but eventually it was accepted and, to the best of my knowledge, they are still doing so.

That is, I suppose, all well and good. But it seems to me that, if we ever go to war with China, our many of our soldiers may well have to go barefoot until the handfull of remaining U.S. boot manufacturers can catch up.

I suppose, of course, we could always outfit them with Mexican-made cowboy boots...

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 8:20 AM
  • I have no problem with Chinese products when they are of quality. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I have given up on a reasonable priced [less than$10] hand held can opener as even the USA ones I tried were junk.

A couple of laptops back, someone posted a source for American made outer wear.. jeans etc that were well made and affordable. Anyone remember what that was?

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 2:54 PM
  • There would be more sources for American made clothing if our own government had not passed so many laws which make it hard on the home sewer and crafter. It took a lot of money out of the hands of lower income stay-at-home moms.

-- Posted by InReply on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 3:32 PM
  • I wrote an E-mail to Williams once about the same subject of this thread. He was gracious in replying personally and said he would read and answer my question on air the next time he guest hosted the Limbaugh show.

I missed that but BC and several others on here helped me figure out the answer.

-- Posted by Old John on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 6:17 PM

Respond to this thread