Speak Out: Jesus Christ was the GREATEST LIBERAL of all time!

Posted by davidk225 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 3:49 PM:

Conservatives and other uninformed individuals like to tag someone as "liberal" when attempting to make their point and portray the other person in a negative light. What would Jesus do? Be against health care for all citizens? I don't think so. What would Jesus do? Let the rich get richer and hope that they trickle down their ever increasing profits to the poor? I don't think so. Would Jesus be in favor of abortion? I don't think so, but neither are all liberals in favor of abortion, but conservatives insist that they are. Would Jesus be for mountain top removal of coal that pollutes water such that the residents cannot drink safe water? I don't think so. These are just a few points to illustrate that, while Jesus was neither a Democrat or a Republican, He was the GREATEST LIBERAL OF ALL TIME!!!

Replies (42)

• You must have swallowed some Liberation Theology from some Marxist professor! Conservatives donot say all liberals are for abortion, but most are for the right to have one. While jesus was neither a Democrat or Republican, He was also NOT a Conservative (Pharisee) or a Liberal (Sadducee).

-- Posted by swift on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 4:02 PM
  • I disagree. His views on the poor and human rights were liberal views that are strongly and repeatedly criticized by Republicans/conservatives.

-- Posted by davidk225 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 4:05 PM
  • His veiws on the poor were that 'The poor you shall always have among you'. He did not condemn the use of expensive oil to annoint him rather than selling it and giving the money to the poor.

He did not call upon government to solve the problem of the poor, but rather called upon individuals to help them through charity. Nowhere did he support the idea of robbing the rich, directly or through taxes, to support ones' obligation to the poor.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 4:30 PM
  • You are right shapley! Jesus didn't condemn those who had more. He does want us as Christians to help those who are in need when it is in our power to do so but not by government mandate. It is to be left up to individuals.

-- Posted by swift on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 5:26 PM
  • While Jesus might have lain his hand on people and healed them, all he asked of their relatives and friends was that they carry the person to the place of healing. Or, to pray for them.

As it happens, our government has divorced itself from making rules concerning religion, so by your logic, maybe it should stay out of the healing business.

-- Posted by InReply on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 5:51 PM
  • Conservatives and liberals alike tend to claim the favor of Jesus Christ when it suits their purposes. Neither ideology lives up to the standards He set.

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 7:00 PM
  • There are some who read scriptures seeking a verse that will support their opinion and/or lifestyle.

There are those who read scripture seeking truth and guidance for their lives. When their shortcomings are revealed they are quick to repent and change their ways.

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 9:42 PM
  • It is true that no man truly 'owns' the land. He is only there temporarily while the land is permanent. Man has the liberty to make use of what the land provides but the responsibility to pass it on to the next generation. The land that is deemed sacred by one group of people should not be trampled upon or destroyed by another.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 3:55 AM
  • Why are we bringing religion in to politics?

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 6:28 AM
  • I do not know that we are bringing religion into politics. A person's belief system has a great affect on his/her judgment. Religion, morals, a sense of right and wrong; these are integral parts of a person's psychological makeup and cannot be checked at the door during discussions concerning politics and the welfare of the nation.

-- Posted by Robert* on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 7:05 AM
  • As defined in the dictionary:

Liberal: Favorable to progress or reform

Conservative: Disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, restore traditional ones, limit change.

Now, I guess some will say "oh that came from the evil liberal dictionary". I don't see anything bad about the word Liberal or Conservative I believe those two words are being used so much today by people which has picked it up from the news media that it is just a fad we are going through right now.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 8:22 AM
  • swamp - I'll accept both of those definitions.

liberal or "favorable to progress or reform" - like abortion on demand? gay marriage? a "global economy" managing the US through foreign banks? legalizing pot/heroin/cocaine? legalizing "illegal" aliens? unlimited welfare and unemployment benefits? so-called "free" healthcare (obamacare)? This "progress" has destroyed the African-American culture and family. Has created a huge entitlement class of lazy, unproductive citizens with no desire to work because of the housing assistance, food stamps, welfare payments, medicaid, etc. etc. and class warfare - stirring up fights within the country. That's progress??

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 8:55 AM
  • Swamp,

On the liberal vs conservative definitions.... I do not believe it is as simple as a dictionary definition.

In my business, in trying to hire the kind of people we wanted... we used some very professional purchased tests, which for one thing, would judge an applicants attitude towards change. I took the test myself, as did all of the current employees, who were asked to volunarily do so. While I consider my values to be conservative, I was very open to change according to the test and have always tried to keep up with change, going along willingly so long as I thought the change was beneficial and met my moral values. On the other hand, one of my best employess was very resistant to change, but was the kind of person who would without hesitation adapt to change if her job required it of her.

With all due respect, you volunteer that you are a Democrat. I have no problem with that, I believe you are loyal in thst regard, but as I read what you post, I believe you have mostly very conservative values. Years ago, I would have considered myself to be a conservative Republican. Today, I consider myself to be s conservative. I believe both major parties have been hijacked by the nutcases in this country.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 9:37 AM
  • Never met the dude. Can't say I'm sold that he ever existed in the first place.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 7:08 AM

Then you have something to look forward to, in this lifetime anyway.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 9:54 AM
  • Wheels: I too believe both parties have been hijacked and neither are like they were back in the day when we were growing up. To give you an example FDR, Harry Truman, JFK, Ronald Reagan would all over in there graves if they knew this country was in the shape it is in. The corrpution is unbelievable in both parties one is as bad as the other. I have never seen our country as divided as it has become in the past 20 years what is so sad about that is the fact the rest of the world is leaving us behind while we continue to fight among ourselves and accomplish nothing. The good leaders and we have many still left don't want to have nothing to do with running for President any more this is how brutal and nasty it has became. Oh well maybe some day it will turn for the good, but man Wheels I don't know if me or you will be around to see it. I just hope this younger generation grabs hold of this thing and run it like it should be ran with solid moral and family values and make this nation number one once again.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 10:13 AM
  • Swamp,

I totally agree. But you better be careful about agreeing with me, or you will be subject to being put on one of those lists, I am on. ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 10:29 AM
  • Years ago, I would have considered myself to be a conservative Republican. Today, I consider myself to be s conservative. I believe both major parties have been hijacked by the nutcases in this country.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 9:37 AM

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. I would vote for a conservative democrat if one existed. Not so much a republican/democrat thing anymore.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 10:55 AM
  • The Republicans of today are about the same as the Democrats of the past.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:01 AM
  • Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. I would vote for a conservative democrat if one existed. Not so much a republican/democrat thing anymore.

-- Posted by Dug on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 10:55 AM

Dug,

I have voted for Democrats when they were the best choice. I also in the past co-hosted a fund raiser for one of the last of Missouri's Conservative Democrats. He ended up withdrawing from the race because he was steamrollered by the Carnahan left wing wackos.

But my faith in our candidate was confirmed when he divied up the balance in his campaign fund on a pro rata basis and wrote a refund check to his contributors instead of giving it to another polictician.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:08 AM
  • Romans 13:7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

-- Posted by Theorist on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 9:23 PM

Are you saying that the free-loaders (takers) owe us money? The unproductive that take but never give? The unemployed that won't pick produce in the fields or pick up a wheelbarrow or shovel? Who are you referring to?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:41 AM
  • I don't remember reading anything Jesus Christ wrote. I doubt we really know very much about Jesus Christ due to second and third hand recollections and the various translations; books that are included in one bible and not another.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 12:08 PM
  • -- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 12:55 PM

There are probably even books that were lost. It is just annoying when people say they know Jesus was a Liberal or Conservative or what he would say or thing about constructs not even in existence 2000 years ago; one can only assume.

-- Posted by Acronym on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 1:05 PM
  • Dug, it is a verse that speaks to me personally. It doesn't say anyone owes me or to expect anything from anyone. Is that what you are waiting for? Repay? Compensation?

-- Posted by Theorist on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 12:55 PM

No. Just asked a simple question for clarification. So you just popped out a verse? I've got about a hundred.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 1:50 PM
  • Who gives a crap whether Jesus was liberal or conservative?

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 2:42 PM
  • Theorist said, I believe we need a strong leader, and that leader will need to have strong backing. He/She will need to be charismatic (to win the populace), smart, moral with a high integrity. So....who? Does anyone fit that bill anymore?

Be careful what you wish for. There was a leader that was thought to fit that bill in the later '30s.

He ended all the bickering between parties and brought the country together with employment, prosperity and social reform with a common goal.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 2:52 PM
  • Rick, your statement of JFK being our last president is what Alex Jones also says on the Obama Deception documentary.

Swampeast, you're right about both major parties.

Old John, Obama's "Stimulus Package" and his Health Care Reform" is very similar to the one called the 5 Year Plan put in place by leader you're talking about, "There was a leader that was thought to fit that bill in the later '30s.

He ended all the bickering between parties and brought the country together with employment, prosperity and social reform with a common goal."

ummm, Fascism! Watch the Obama Deceptiion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw

I'll reiterate what I stated in my previous comment to David: Jesus was and is neither conservative or liberal. His way of reacting to problems and His entire belief system, summarized in His parables and His Sermon on the Mount would make Him a Populist. Jesus was and is a Populist!

-- Posted by swift on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 3:31 PM
  • Methinks in Jesus' time a 'conservative' would have sought to preserve the Roman Republic and its control over the Levant. The Empire only having begun under Augustus, Republicans were still found in great number, reportedly even within Augustus' own household.

'Old Guard' Conservatives would have sought to re-establish a free Judean Kingdom under Herod, independent of Roman influence.

A liberal at that time would likely have sought to establish a new political order. Jesus sought to establish a new order, but not a political one. He did not appear to oppose the Roman occupation (render unto Caesar, etc., etc.).

Whether they were 'old guard conservatives' or 'liberals', the people of Judea did rise up against Roman Rule, apparently beginning under Caligula, which caused the rift that reportedly led to Pontius Pilate's suicide. Continuing through the destruction of the Temple under Vespasian, the revolt put down by Trajan, and finally ending with Hadrian's abolition of the Kingdom of Judea and establishment of the Principia Palestina.

I'm not sure the terms have much application to those historic events, but I would tend to regard those favouring the Romans, whether as a Republic or an Empire, as the conservatives of that time. But, as Spaniard notes, such political labels applied then have little meaning when applied to today's world. There is no Roman Empire and no Kingdom of Judea.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 3:59 PM
  • Jesus Christ was the GREATEST LIBERAL of all time!

Posted by davidk225 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 3:49 PM:

"Conservatives and other uninformed individuals"

How am I to have an intelligent conversation with you when you consider anyone who disagrees with you uninformed?

How can we constructively discuss issues of the day when you summarily dismiss my thoughts and opinions?

-- Posted by Robert* on Sat, Nov 19, 2011, at 9:21 PM
  • stnmsm8, Let's see, what was it Voyager's Grandmother said pertaining to this? :)

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Nov 19, 2011, at 11:33 PM
  • Old John,

Can not remember her exact words either, but I do remember... she was right.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Nov 19, 2011, at 11:52 PM
  • Wheels, In this case for sure.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Nov 20, 2011, at 12:01 AM
  • Jesus was, is,& will be perfect.

Conservative at the correct time, liberal at the correct time. Doing the perfect thing at the appropriate time.

Get over yourselves and your opinions about something of which you can't even understand let alone attain....perfection.

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Tue, Nov 22, 2011, at 12:23 AM
  • Jesus isn't real. I understand that perfectly. That's what's so funny about this thread.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Nov 22, 2011, at 5:56 AM

So you think the written record, roman, greek and jewish reports, are fabricated? 2000 years ago? He isn't real?

-- Posted by not_sorry on Tue, Nov 22, 2011, at 8:48 AM
  • They used to claim that Pontius Pilate wasn't real, until the Pilate Stone was discovered in 1961. He is now known to be have been a Roman Prefect for the Kingdom of Judea, as the Bible suggests.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Nov 22, 2011, at 8:54 AM
  • Spaniard,

He may not be real, but He never changed His name because He offended too many people.

-- Posted by John in Jackson on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 10:57 PM
  • 'Conservative at the correct time, liberal at the correct time. Doing the perfect thing at the appropriate time.'

John in Jackson,

You have phrased it well.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 11:13 PM
  • Jesus isn't real. I understand that perfectly. That's what's so funny about this thread.

-- Posted by Spaniard on Tue, Nov 22, 2011, at 5:56 AM

How do you know????? You still think Obama is doing a good job.....

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 11:28 PM
  • Let's see, who was it overseas bowing to all sorts of religious leaders? And to think voting for democrats makes you a non-neo-con supporter...:)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 24, 2011, at 9:59 AM
  • Ike was born a Democrat and he will die a Democrat.... doesn't matter what they do in the interm period of time, you vote the party line. I know the type. There are some silly arsed Republicans the same way.

It was just a bit ago he was howling to Impeach Obama.... now he is going to vote for him again. Talk about confused!!!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Nov 24, 2011, at 10:40 AM
  • The president used his Thanksgiving address as occasion to give thanks, but not to God.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Nov 24, 2011, at 5:38 PM
  • It sounds like Spaniard is simply anti-God. That's what he votes against regardless of how the country or its citizens are doing.

He embraces the democrat party tightly. Not surprising considering his beliefs.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Nov 24, 2011, at 6:39 PM
  • Spaniard wrote:

"Never met the dude. Can't say I'm sold that he ever existed in the first place."

I'm sure you never met Julius Caesar, King Leonidas, Xerxes, or Kung Fu Tse. Are you also in doubt as to their existence?

Whether or not you believe he is the son of God, there is ample evidence to suggest that he walked the Earth. The same can be said of Buddha. There is ample reason to believe that he walked the Earth teaching of the path to Nirvana, regardless of whether he achieved it himself.

It seems to me there is at least as much historical evidence of the existence of Jesus Christ as there is to the existence of these men. And yet, you seem willing to discard that evidence for reasons of your own. Aside from the Bible, which provides the primary basis of Christian belief in him, there are numerous apocryphal works dating back nearly to the time of his life. They are 'apocryphal' in that they are discounted by religious scholars as being divinely insipired, but they serve as historical references to his life.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Nov 28, 2011, at 4:45 PM

Respond to this thread