Speak Out: First responders not allowed at the 9/11 ceremony.

Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Aug 24, 2011, at 6:22 PM:

Even though they were there risking their lives they can't go to any of the nine ceremonies.

I guess the politicians need the room for themselves so they can grandstand.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/16/new.york.911.memorial/index.html

Replies (13)

• They have not been invited to previous 9/11 ceremonies but this is the first one they have been specifically barred from! I guess too many 'dignitaries' and 'important people' will be there. My suggestion is that we remember who is willing to push aside these first responders when we go to vote.

-- Posted by Robert* on Wed, Aug 24, 2011, at 10:00 PM
  • EOTS

The reason they voted against the bill is it was too opened ended and way over estimated costs. It would have been a giant $10 billion plus slush fund that would end up being misspent. Look how many lawmakers abstained. But I do agree they want to use the ceremony for political purposes.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Aug 24, 2011, at 10:46 PM
  • They weren't invited on 9/11, either, yet they still showed up...Far more patriotic and professional than the politicians who will be using this as a photo op.

-- Posted by SEMO_Storyteller on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 7:54 AM
  • Are they told it is "safe" to enter a building on fire? That it's ok to breath when you are surrounded by smoke? Or that it is "safe" to pull up to a robbery or gun fight? They are heroic for what they do but I think they know the consequences and dangers of their careers. At least all the police, fire and US troops that I've talked to are aware of it.

Should troops that are injured or killed get billions in government money for themselves or their families? Do the 9-11 responders deserve more than a soldier getting shot at every day? Hmmmm.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 9:55 AM
  • It is the cancer coverage that they are lacking.

My main problem is they are not given the opportunity to be there.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • Which victims' families who died should be uninvited to make room for the 1,000s of first responders who lived? Space, is a limited resource. Not like Bloomberg can print more.

-- Posted by pigskin on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 11:13 AM
  • No one said anything about victims families. There are nine ceremonies. Two presidents will be there so how about telling one to stay home and that should make room since their entourage probably would be 1000. Since Bush was the president at the time he should speak and if Obama was invited he should have a speech at the mosque down the street.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 12:48 PM
  • I thought the first 9-11 ceremony when Bush was president they invited everyone there and read off the names of every individual that died that day and rang a bell. I didn't research, just recalling from memory.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 2:04 PM
  • We Regret To Inform U said "No one said anything about victims families."

Actually, your article did mention the victims.

In a statement, Bloomberg spokesman Andrew Brent said the commemoration ceremony is for the victims' families.

"While we are again focused on accommodating victims' family members, given the space constraints, we're working to find ways to recognize and honor first responders, and other groups, at different places and times," Brent said

-- Posted by pigskin on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 2:22 PM
  • I also read that Mayor Bloomberg is banning prayer at the site.

-- Posted by swift on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 4:08 PM
  • They got to make room for the elite suit and ties that is the reason the real front line soldiers are not allowed to attend.

-- Posted by swampeastmissouri on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 6:30 PM
  • Thats right Swamp.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 9:26 PM
  • I trust Mayor Blumberg will also ban all cameras and media coverage of the event? :)

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Aug 25, 2011, at 10:01 PM

Respond to this thread