Speak Out: Scam Jobs- How do you know?

Posted by Hot Dog on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 3:13 PM:

Trying to apply for jobs these days is scary enough, but now I'm not sure who I should be sending my information to. We all know that Craigslist is full of scams, but now they are popping up on HeartlandJobs.com and even in the newspaper. So, should you be sending your information off to just anyone? What are your requirements. Example, today there is a job in the Southeast Missourian for a part-time Receptionist/Secretary, but it only offers a mailing address. This is a home address, yes.. I drove by. Why would I want to send my personal information to someone's home address? Shouldn't there be a business name attached so I could decide if I'd like to apply or not, or even if I want that person to have my personal information? HELP!!! What are the do and do nots these days???

Replies (8)

• Maybe it is to replace the recep/sec whose duty includes opening all the mail and the employer wants a replacement ready before firing him/her.

Knock on the door and ask, Look up the address and cross reference to get a phone number, call the paper to verify the add is correct, or start a thead on speak out and see if anyone knows.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 4:28 PM
  • LOL! Thanks.

-- Posted by Hot Dog on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 6:39 PM
  • Happy to help!

Through out the years I have seen many ads that say reply to the paper at a box number.

How many times have qualified people looking to better themselves decided not to answer an ad thinking it may be their own or old employer or one in his circle?

If you want to hire the best people for the job, be upfront with it.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 6:51 PM
  • BTW, If you have an associate degree you can apply for the janitor job. Or with 60 hours post secondary education [whatever that is] you can apply to be a bus monitor.

In my day we didn't have a bus monitor but the driver would kick your butt off the bus if you got out of line. Sometimes he wouldn't let you on if he thought you were trouble.

Someone has decided that we have to be integrated into the system to be part of society. That seems apparent to me in that the least job among us requires a degree of some kind. All the while the government pushes to make loans for those options easier to get and harder to pay back.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • Thanks John appreciate it!

-- Posted by Hot Dog on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 9:26 PM
  • In my day we didn't have a bus monitor but the driver would kick your butt off the bus if you got out of line. Sometimes he wouldn't let you on if he thought you were trouble.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 9:06 PM

We didn't have one either Old John. But then we didn't need one for the first 6 years of my education.... we didn't have a bus.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 9:45 PM
  • Wheels, My father in law said they had a dump truck. When it was too bad to walk they rode in the back and the driver raised the bed so they could slide out.

Right before the election a bridge was deemed unsafe so they slid out and walked across, climbed back in and slid out at school. After the election they crossed the bridge as it always was in the truck and the bridge was ok.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Aug 21, 2011, at 10:30 PM
  • Knocking on an advertised address of someone that might be running a scam, does not seem like a brillant idea.

Move on to those you can verify have a business address. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

-- Posted by ziggie on Mon, Aug 22, 2011, at 3:23 AM

Respond to this thread