Speak Out: What Made America Great?

Posted by gurusmom on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 5:10 PM:

Naturally, I could be wrong, but ... I believe that a large part of what made us 'great' was that people worked ... and didn't rely upon the government or anyone but ourselves to take care of us.

For the most part, our forefathers did not depend upon government for even their most basic needs ... and yes, many may have died because they had little or no 'help.' But those who survived were stronger, and had pride in themselves and their ability to work toward a better future.

Replies (3)

• I think in the early days Americans were individuals first and citizens second. Many came from countries where they were citizens or subjects first. This unleashed the best in many.

American Conservatism, an illustated history by Robert Nagle begins with a good summary that agrees with a lot of what North is trying to relate in the article referenced.

Although this book is right leaning in nature, it ends with a pretty accurate [IMHO] recap of how and why the liberal and conservative elements of American politics, once married and intermarried into both major parties, [The effect was kinda like four parties] gradually ended up as liberals and conservatives with party affilliation as we know today.

Religion having or not having a part in government had a lot to do with the evolution to the decription North describes.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 12:01 AM
  • Two things made America great: Jack Daniels and Henry Ford's V-8 engine.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 10:56 PM
  • Two things made America great: Jack Daniels and Henry Ford's V-8 engine.

-- Posted by voyager on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 10:56 PM

Yes I believe Clyde, from Bonnie and Clyde, wrote Henry Ford a letter telling him what a great car the V8 Ford was. Probably not exactly what the thread was about though. ☺ ☺

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 11:29 PM

Respond to this thread