Speak Out: Major issues with VA Hosp care

Posted by Speechone on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 4:31 PM:

My son's biopsy, November 2009, was botched badly by VA Hosp St. Louis. Mole biopsy incorrectly reported as benign. He now has malignant melanoma, Stage 3, spread to lymph nodes. They tell us nothing can be done, no treatment, just a checkup every 3 months. Duh!! He could have had surgery and treatment back in 2009 if the biopsy had been correct. Just NOT right :-(

Replies (10)

• Sorry about your son!

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 5:06 PM
  • I too am sorry to hear that. I can only imagine your pain.

The VA hospitals do not provide the care they should. This is the reason to object to Obama care. All of them will be like the VA.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 5:53 PM
  • So sorry about your situation, I hope you and your family are able to enjoy as much time as possible with your son.

Is it just me or is every story about the VA about them screwing something up? If this is how the government treats their own, I don't want them to have anything to do with my healthcare at all.

-- Posted by mynameismud on Sun, Feb 13, 2011, at 10:46 PM
  • Nil, Did you read the story in the Sunday paper about Lucky?

I have yet to read it entirely but I understand it is about family blaming VA for the loss of a loved one.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 1:31 AM
  • Speechone ... so very sad for you!

VA hospitals are not created equal.

There is one in or near San Antonio that has had nothing but praise from those I knew who went there ... many civilians in that area have expressed the wish that they could qualify to go there.

The one in Danville, IL, is pretty pathetic, and not a single doctor I came into contact with could speak English well enough to be understood ... dirty, dark, scary.

But the one in Indianapolis is pretty much on-the-ball and up-to-date.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 4:02 AM
  • its just not as good as it could/should be.

-- Posted by Theorist on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 8:18 AM

And it is going to be worse.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 10:07 AM
  • A friend of mine had a biopsy of his lung taken at a local hospital. They informed him that it was benign. That was quite a relief to him and his family. However, two days later they informed him that they had made a mistake. He was in stage 4. Imagine how they felt if you can. Mistakes will be made from time to time but let's just hope they are kept to a minimum.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 10:33 AM
  • Just a week or so ago the St Louis VA hospital's operating room was closed down because of conditions.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/morning_call/2011/02/cochran-va-hospital-canc...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/02/10/va-hospital-ordered-clean-inspection/

We will see the same thing spread with Obamacare in a few years if it is not stopped. Hide and watch.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 10:40 AM
  • Wheels: Oh, never mind.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 11:02 AM
  • Dear Howdy,

You gave an example where the hospital caught their own error, admitted it and made the correction. Sorry for your friend but he did not go to Stage 4 in two days.

Have you ever made an error? Guess not.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Mon, Feb 14, 2011, at 11:18 AM

Respond to this thread