Speak Out: Ode to Ted Kennedy

Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:25 AM:

old_school,

There is a time and place for nonsense, and this is neither.

Ironic that your moniker contains the word "school" because in the words of Russel, you are like school in July - no class.

Replies (37)

• lumpy, I suppose you're right - but let us know when the wake is over. I hope someone will be allowed to write an honest biography of this man, but I doubt it. I know the high road is to respond more respectfully, after all, faking sincerity is an acquired skill. RIP Mr. Kennedy, they're waiting for you.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:59 AM
  • Ted had some demons - but you do remember he had to deal with some pretty difficult tragedies. Joe, John, Bobby and others - how would you have dealt with it? He did ask for forgiveness and expressed his sorrow for his weaknesses.

He was a broken man who fought to recover and in the later part of his life found success.

God forgives Old School - but, maybe you are not a Christian and don't believe in forgiveness (or in God for that matter). Judge away - see if that works for you.

-- Posted by concerned4all on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 7:29 AM
  • You know, I really wasn't going to go there.

So, following Ainal's lead, I googled Ted Kennedy Philanthropist. Here's the flavor of most the entries:

But is any of that true? Kennedy certainly should be lauded if he had devoted a sizeable amount of his own massive family inheritance toward "countless children, seniors, and Americans with disabilities." But Kennedy has kept his personal inheritance while backing every middle-class tax increase put before him over the past 40 years. Charity, as Kennedy practiced it, means doing "good" with other people's money. And it almost always meant doing it with money from people poorer than himself.

Maybe you were thinking of Teddy Rist.

I'm done.

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 8:16 AM
  • I agree. How dare someone judge this great man. Now his name will be on the health care bill that we ALL will be forced to accept. His name may even be on the coverage cards that we will have to use.

It will be ironic, the healthcare plan that will have his name on it will not be the same plan that he was able to enjoy for so many years.

-- Posted by gman on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 8:20 AM
  • Oh put a gown on Lumpy, the man was the biggest threat to the gun rights you claim to be a proponent of. As "gman" stated in a previous post his name will be on the health care bill that they are trying to cram down our throats.

Now because he's kicked the bucket we must all brand him a hero amidst all of the wall to wall coverage... just like Michael Jackson.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 9:03 AM
  • I wonder if all of those on the radical left will refer to old Teddy as a drunken frat boy like they constantly did to GW Bush? No I am sure all media coverage will be about how great he was and all the wonderful things he did.

-- Posted by luv2argue on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 9:10 AM
  • Oh good GREIF! Yes the last Joseph son has passed away! I pray he rest in peace. The Kennedy money is old money and most of it was ill gained. I won't go in to any history lessons but Blogbudsman is correct about his free givings.

He, like so many law makers were in office entirely too long. His legacy will be remembered but with so much negative undertone. I will pray for his Family and I will respect his service.

But please lets don't make him out to be some kind of hero because he was far from it. I like many here, are old enough to remember July 18, 1969 and the death of Mary Jo Kopechne. If that had happened in todays society and it was one of us who caused her death we would be put in prison for quite a long time!! Wonder how many members of MADD voted each time for Edward?...I have said enough....RIP EDWARD KENNEDY say hey to John, Bob and the rest of your Family.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 9:11 AM
  • mobush,

I don't have a gown. Can I borrow your robe?

-- Posted by Lumpy on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 11:46 AM
  • TERM LIMITS! We need them, STAT!

Tonight, I will have a drink in in Kennedy's honor... not to celebrate his life but to celebrate his death!

-- Posted by lurker on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 12:29 PM
  • I disagreed with most of Senator Kennedy's policies and did not have a very high opinion of him personally, but his passing is no cause for celebration. We really should be able to put "politics" aside at times like this.

-- Posted by Blackthorn on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 2:09 PM
  • Appreciate your comment @ 5:59 AM, blogbudsman. Funny how the demise of some miraculously and immediately makes them almost Saints, isn't it?

Ouch, GREY! No doubt you're going to get punched now also ... Don't you know that National Icons like the Kennedy's are above reproach once they are deceased? Now, any who don't give Kennedy 'the respect' he may deserve are cold-hearted, hateful and un-Christian ... We should all be more hypocritical because that is often preferable to just being truthful? Death is inevitable, with one person's death surely being no more important or compassionate-generating than another's ... it does not negate their faults.

That politicans like Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd would continue to 'hold onto' their positions for the lengthy periods of time that they have been unable to perform their duties surely cannot honestly be seen as anything but ego.

As was Kennedy's request for his state to actually change a law in order to accomodate his own reluctance to do the right and proper thing of stepping down when he realized he was too unwell to perform his obligations to his constituents ... which would then have given the state time to replace him.

Interesting to read the speculation about which Kennedy might 'replace' him ... as though this position belongs to the family.

If I were younger and more energetic ... I'd be trying to start a Term Limit Movement ... most probably doomed to fail. Wouldn't it be great to sort of be able to 'start all over' every few elections ... giving up the Good Old Boy Politics, in which positions of power seem to grow into jaded ideas of their importance?

-- Posted by gurusmom on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 2:14 PM
  • Ike

Obama has just gotten started. He ain't gonna let a redneck like Bush outdo him.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 4:12 PM
  • Wow can't even let a person's death not bring up George W Bush or Obama.

Love or hate the man or his politics, he's dead. It's not like he can do anymore good or bad depending on your view of him. Wouldn't a simple rest in peace or say nothing at all be more respectful and what we would wish for ourselves at our passing???

Childish behavior on both sides again.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 4:28 PM
  • I certainly don't consider Kennedy a saint (as I mentioned his demons) and don't know anyone who would.

BTW I included the "Christian" comment for those who USE it when they feel it will work to their benefit...you know - every election cycle. LOL

-- Posted by concerned4all on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 4:34 PM
  • James Nall,

Not even as a once living being?

I guess I was brought up to not speak ill of the dead.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:00 PM
  • Regards Ted Kennedy,

I am sure his fanmily loved him and my condolences to them.

I never glory in, or celebrate someone's passing as a happy occurence. I believe that is wrong.

My true feelings regarding Ted Kennedy however... I did not like him or his policies and do not see me liking either any better now that he has passed. A man is what he is and opinions are formed over the years, and because he dies, it doesn't change how he lived his life.

Those are my feelings and to say anything different would be hypocritical.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:16 PM
  • Wheels,

I'm not asking anyone to change their opinion of the man. Just asking why showing respect to the passing is so difficult for some? Hell, there have been lots of people that have passed that I didn't like, agree with, or respect, but I didn't go on a public forum and celebrate their death.

Maybe just a bad day for me. (not having to do with Sen. Kennedy's death). I'll leave it alone. Oh and by the way, was 'fanmily' intended or a typo??? lol

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:24 PM
  • Sure, I feel bad for his family and the grief that they are going to experience and I wish him, as a person only, to RIP; but, let's face it, he was a Kennedy after all.

As a national taxpayer, I am insulted that someone of his nature would be re-elected time and time again. I guess that I just don't understand the politics of the northeast. As a benefit, I was born shortly after his presidential candidacy. Maybe I didn't experience his "leaving the lady to drown" incident or JFK's death, but I do know that somebody with an ailing health is in NO POSITION TO REPRESENT ANYONE!

I just don't understand why the responsible youth of this nation can't have a chance. I'm tired of all of the straight-up OLD people representing me. Keep in mind, ALL US senators represent ALL of us.

The US gov't continues to be full of fail and its effectiveness of manipulating the general populous over time has been staggering. Come on, everyone: Get A Grip!

-- Posted by lurker on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:29 PM
  • Wheels,

Remind me not to come back and read the forums after I pass. I don't think I would like what I read. ;)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:41 PM
  • Maybe just a bad day for me. (not having to do with Sen. Kennedy's death). I'll leave it alone. Oh and by the way, was 'fanmily' intended or a typo??? lol

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:24 PM

Cheer up Pups, and I certainly did not mean to be disrespectful.

And definitely that was a typo. I am the world's worst typist. I have said it before, typing is a struggle for me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 5:54 PM
  • Wheels,

Actually thought fanmily was kind of cute. You were able to include his family and those that are fans. (though not many in this area appearently lol)

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 6:18 PM
  • Some of you people make me sick! I will agree that it's sad that he suffered and died, but the man should have been forced out of politics years ago. He killed that young girl and if it were the average person, they would have went to jail.

Why try to make "hero's" out of people like Kennedy and Michael Jackson? You want a true hero then look for a common soldier who has sacrificed his life during war in a place where most of you have never heard of. Here's one for you, while you are spending time on your computer tonight look up the name "Chesty" Puller. Read about him and see if you can find a little respect for what that man did for YOUR country!!!

-- Posted by arrestthem on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 8:31 PM
  • Who's we? The topic was Ted and what a hero he is to some. Would you like to talk about his "lack of service" or how about the man in the White House, and his lack of service?

I brought up Chesty Puller because he IS a true hero and men like him should be talked about more. They are the ones that we owe our freedom to and not some stuffed shirt in Washington! That's why I brought him up.

-- Posted by arrestthem on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 9:03 PM
  • The only ones useing the word 'hero' or those on the right. No one else has used that word.

-- Posted by Pups on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 9:15 PM
  • On Aug 11 I praised Eunice Kennedy Shriver, who I feel was the greatest Kennedy. Today all I can say is my sympathy is with the Kennedy family at the lose of two family members in such a short time. And as my mother said if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all, well at least wait till they are dead and buried.

-- Posted by blueslover on Wed, Aug 26, 2009, at 11:45 PM
  • Thanks, Wheels ... just an honest opinion sometimes is a great and honorable thing. Death is our final payment for having lived ... it does not erase the facts, good or bad, of our former lives whatsoever ... nor should it.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 2:06 AM
  • Yeah Rest in Peace Teddy!..say hey to your Brothers and your corrupt Daddy! I hope you remember to apologize to Mary Jo! Yep he should have done 15 years in a Mass.prison just like anyone would have to do today if they were drunk and responsible for someones death! How many of you were around in 1969?

I don't forget crimes committed by politicians not even after 40 years! There is no statute of limitations on vehicular manslaughter! Ill gained money is what saved his butt back then. Like I said before, I wonder how many MADD supporters in Mass. voted for this man time and time again? Those that did have no credibility what so ever.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 8:28 AM
  • Lumpy said: "mobush,I don't have a gown. Can I borrow your robe?"

Got something on your mind Lumpy? Why don't you expand on that comment.

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 9:09 AM
  • Yes, GREY, I was around in 1969. Not really much into politics back then ... following the maternal Democratic party line faithfully ...

And was astounded, disappointed, and angry that this man was not charged and/or punished for that death. Status in life (financially, politically) should never have a bearing on the outcome of any crime.

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 12:41 PM
  • I remember this - still love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TeddyVWad.jpg

-- Posted by blogbudsman on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 12:58 PM
  • Good one Blogbudsman!

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Aug 27, 2009, at 7:55 PM
  • Definitely need term limits.

-- Posted by TheArmySarge on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 9:13 AM
  • The Real Ted Kennedy by: Michael Savage:

http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=7619

"The Real Ted Kennedy

The leftist media in this country has erupted in tributes to Ted Kennedy. Democrats praise him. Republicans praise him. Liberals praise him, conservatives praise him. And while we mourn when a man dies, does that mean that all criticism must stop? Does a man who spent his entire political life destroying the fundamental tenets of American morality become miraculously rehabilitated on his passing? Do conservatives stop being conservatives when such a man dies?

No! And yet it seems that the Republicans in Congress have forgotten what Ted Kennedy did to our borders. Too many so-called conservative commentators have forgotten what Ted Kennedy did to our language. Too many fawning media lackeys have forgotten that Ted Kennedy succeeded in nearly destroying our culture.

We cannot forget that he opened the borders as early as 1965. We cannot forget that he voted to destroy the flag and destroy traditional marriage. We cannot forget in spite of his death, that he voted for late-term abortion -- i.e., infanticide. We can't forget that...

He voted no on a constitutional ban ban on flag desecration.

He voted no on a constitutional ban of same-sex marriage.

He voted yes on adding sexual orientation to the definition of hate crimes.

He voted no on banning affirmative action hiring with federal funds.

He voted yes on allowing illegals to participate in Social Security.

We cannot forget what he has done to our country.

And so now the Soros-run media sets on anyone who dares disclose the truth about Ted Kennedy. As in a Soviet show trial, persecution falls on anyone who refuses to take the party line that the great lying lion of the left must be praised. We will not be silenced. Silence is death. Speak the truth about Ted Kennedy. Americans must know his reckless record of destructive social engineering."

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 2:20 PM
  • mobushwhacker,

You must hate alot of people, myself included then. I actually agree with some those things you listed that are 'distroying' this country. Funny, now here I thought I was an American. Guess not by your standards.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 4:24 PM
  • Pups: They weren't my standards they were Michael Savage's. I did like the last part of his article that stated:

"Speak the truth about Ted Kennedy. Americans must know his reckless record of destructive social engineering."

-- Posted by mobushwhacker on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 5:13 PM
  • My appologies.

Sometimes I have trouble telling the difference between poster's posts and post they are copy/pasteing. Ask Mr Wiffles, I do it all the time with him.

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 5:21 PM
  • Poor you????

-- Posted by Pups on Fri, Aug 28, 2009, at 10:04 PM

Respond to this thread