Speak Out: Exit Ramps

Posted by dawgy68 on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 9:51 PM:

When coming off an exit ramp onto the interstate why is it that people on the interstate will not move over into the other lane especially when there is no one in the other lane? How hard is it to offer a little courtesy to allow for the driver coming off the exit ramp to exit? What ever happen to the concept of common courtesy? I do not see what the problem is for drivers to move over it really does not take that much effort. This especially happens at the highway 74 exit onto 55, the William street exit onto 55, and the Cape-Jackson exit onto 55.I uderstand that tractor trailer drivers have a job to do and that they have time constraints to meet to deliver goods but it appears that they do not want to get over at all when they see a vehicle trying to exit off the ramp. I would like to know why truck drivers find it so hard to get in the other lane when there is not anyone in the other lane. I am not trying to be disrespectful of truck drivers and I should clear up the fact that it is not all truck drivers that do this but there are several that do.

Replies (9)

• It is a lot of time because some joker is riding along in the left lane beside them and they can't move over.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 11:59 PM
  • I try to do so when possible, but the fact remains it is the responsibility of the vehicle entering traffic to merge smoothly, and yield if necessary.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 9:24 AM
  • That's true, OLD JOHN. Very seldom can you see the OTHER-vehicle beside the truck, generally running just even with his front-tandem. Unless you're Superman, of course.

As for Interstate traffic that doesn't yield: You DO realize that it is ONLY a courtesy? Yes, 99% of traffic WILL-yield, IF the left-lane is available to them. However, that big, reflective, red & white sign that says "YIELD" applies to traffic ENTERING---that's YOU!---not the already established flow.

My butt draws-up, whenever someone tries to "pinch"-me at an entrance-ramp, and I'm in the same-situation as OLD JOHN describes. And then have the offending-car, pickup, whatever cut me close enough to practically disappear from view, under the edge of my fender, out of spite! Being many TONS heavier than you, if we connect, I'll(probably)survive, to suffer the guilt of YOUR-ignorance---YOU probably WON'T. I don't do much "heavy"-driving with a load of grain, anymore---I just like to RIDE, now!☺

So, to sum it up---99% of trucks WILL move to the left, IF IT'S OPEN. But, for the 1% who WON'T, or CAN'T, because it's occupied, remember this:

Is it worth your LIFE---and maybe, ours as well---to NOT nurse that bruised-ego of yours for just a few-more feet, and THEN get in line, so maybe we can BOTH arrive in relatively-good shape? Please?

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:04 AM
  • donknome-2,Shapley Hunter,

Agree completely and I too yield when possible as do many if not most people I encounter.

-- Posted by Acronym on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:43 AM
  • If a big rig merges in ahead, a lot of drivers will risk engine over-rev and cut into the left lane to be ahead of the rig as fast as possible.

I find it more suitable to fall back a good distance behind the semi for about a half mile and by then he's going faster than I was before.

Many times the move over law is hard to comply with due to left lane resistance. When I go to my mailbox and a driver with plenty of road room blows my hat off, well I don't want to do that to LEO out there working for me.

-- Posted by Old John on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 10:55 AM
  • Have been reading about driving in Germany. Their requirements are more strict. A driver's license can cost several thousand dollars and then only after attending extensive driving school. Then automobiles are subject to a much more rigid inspection than in the USA. As a result automobiles are kept in better shape and drivers are better trained.

Getting a driver's license in the USA is far easier without having to know very much except the smal cost of the license and where to go to plunk the money down.

Hell, if an illegal alien can get one, nothing to it.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 1:11 PM
  • BC: VERY-good point there, as well. I'm in total agreeance with you on that! Especially the one at, I believe(?)the Dutchtown-northbound I-55 entrance, for only ONE example---a fella runs outta room there, fast!

Sometimes ya' just gotta swallow that pride, an' take it to the shoulder-apron, even if you DON'T currently have an ego to hurt....!☺

-- Posted by donknome-2 on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 3:10 PM
  • Hell, if an illegal alien can get one, nothing to it.

-- Posted by voyager on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 1:11 PM

Even Democrats can get them.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 3:24 PM
  • Let's don't forget about those in passenger vehicles and light trucks who don't use the on- and off-ramps as intended, at least according to my understanding.

They'll either start slowing down way before they get onto the off-ramp, or come off the on-ramp at a speed much slower than traffic is flowing - either way, cobbling up everyone behind them.

Pffft, all that money spent on right-of-ways and extra concrete, and some go and use the ramps about like they would a regular two-way stop intersection.

Speaking of cobbling things up - what's up with most all the semi-trucks driving only 65mph? Fuel-savings, corporate safety rules? Used to be the big trucks would about blow the paint off the car as they flew by, now it seems the tables have turned, and I know I ain't changed my average speeds.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 5:54 PM

Respond to this thread