Speak Out: Legalize it already!!!

Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 12:52 PM:

Rumor has it that Obama will propose legalizing right before the election.

Replies (17)

• Well, isn't he, Rick?

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 1:48 PM
  • Caddyman, frankly, I wouldn't know. Don't use the yamned stuff including tobacco.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 2:07 PM
  • If, Spank, it would ease your brother's pain, to Mell with those who say you mustn't. Grow a few plants someplace and tell the whole world go take a hike off the Emerson Bridge.

-- Posted by voyager on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 3:51 PM
  • E-mail all your law makers including the President! Let them know you are against the prohibition of marijuana. Let them know you are against the prohibition of HEMP! Let them know that hemp is NOT smoked because it contains no THC. Let them know that hemp would be a new industry here at home rather than having to import those things that are made from it. Let them know that hemp could save many small farmers.

Let them know that the drug war will never be won. Let them know that we should reevaluate our position on drug laws and stop the massive waste of money being spent fighting this war and incarcerating people for a victimless crime like smoking pot. Just a thought or two

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 5:03 PM
  • I noticed the article did not say HOW the marijuana was destroyed.

I can picture it now. That truck (shown in picture with the back full of the plants) took it to yet another field, where they promptly built a nice bonfire, having done their faithful duty of destroying the weed they then held hands in a circle and started singing "Strawberry Fields Forever"

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 5:42 PM
  • Rick, The general public easily forgets what they don't know. Coming out for states rights on this issue will help him be percieved more moderate.

People will hear what they want with his style of talk while all the time he appears to be for small business, cutting regulations and reforming the ills of big government and saying the opposite. It worked to get him elected.

I don't think his getting re-elected is as important to him as it is to his handlers. His agenda to fundamentally change America comes first.

-- Posted by Old John on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 8:35 PM
  • in my way of thinking,pot is not as dangerous as loading up on nerve pills from a dr.they dish out pain killers like they were m&m,s.that is real danger!!hydrocodne is a drug that kills!very addictive,but my grandaughter got hooked on those things.if my friend pete would have been able to get good pot he would not have starved to death with cancer!pot gives you an urge to eat and munch!you can not smoke and drink!it makes you sick.i say make it legal.grow your own,that stops the demand and money for dealers!!

-- Posted by gussedup on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 9:27 PM
  • Rick, Greywolf, and Spank: We may not agree on most other topics I write about, but this is one topic that I 100% agree with you on.

Cannabis and hemp should be made legal period. They are plants given to us by God. Cannabis has been used for medicinal and religious purposes since probably the beginning of time.

Hemp has hundreds of uses including medicinal and industrial. Hemp alone could save many small family farms. The Declaration of Independence was written on paper made of hemp grown in this country.

-- Posted by Thought Criminal on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 9:55 PM
  • Hey! It is illegal. period. If you want to change the laws then there are ways to do that. Get enough support to get it on a ballot. Then lobby the supreme courts that would strike it down.

-- Posted by Real-ist on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 9:40 PM

If one of my family needed it I would get it for them.

In California they have the stores you take your prescription to and pick out you favorite. Here it is readily available legal or not so why not tax it and loosen up the lawman's time to go after the meth cooks. They are the real problem.

It is like someone dying and being in unbelievable pain but the doc doesn't want them to get addicted to the drugs. It happens. I say give them what they need to be comfortable.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Sep 1, 2010, at 9:55 PM
  • Real-ist, your not being realistic at all!

Downfall of moral america!? What in the world are you talking about? Marijuana has been used by millions for over 50 years now and continues to be the most popular prohibited plant on earth.

It certainly HAS NOT been the downfall of moral america except for the fact that it is illegal and has cost this Country billions in keeping it that way! The current drug laws are what is immoral in my opinion.

-- Posted by GREYWOLF on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 5:49 AM
  • It use to be a common practice to smoke opium. Was that the demoralization of our country?

Here are some LEGAL drugs that are perscribed every day to millions of people in pain:

HYDROCODONE- can be addictive. Nausea, vomiting, constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, or drowsiness may occur. Seek immediate medical attention if any of these rare but serious side effects occur: fainting, seizure, slow/shallow breathing, unusual drowsiness/difficulty waking up.

PREDNISONE- Stomach upset, headache, dizziness, trouble sleeping, or weight gain may occur. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: black stools, bone pain (fracture), "coffee-ground" vomit, easy bruising/bleeding, heartburn, increased thirst and urination, irregular/fast/pounding heartbeat, menstrual period changes, mental/mood changes, muscle weakness/pain, persistent weight gain, puffy face, seizures, signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat), slow-healing wounds, stomach/abdominal pain, swelling of the feet/ankles, thinning skin, trouble breathing, unusual hair growth, unusual skin growths, vision changes.

These two drugs are perscribed to someone who lives with chronic pain. If pot could ease the pain of that person instead of these harch drugs, then why the heck not?!!!

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 7:53 AM
  • HYDROCODONE

Wooooee!

I had that prescribed to me once for pain. I was told, take one when you get home. I did.

If I would have taken two of them, I could have commnicated with the dead.

I threw them away. Worst head spinning feeling I have ever had. I much preferred the pain.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 8:22 AM
  • I don't buy into the whole "it's a plant" argument, so is Hemlock, Jimson Weed and others. As to the rest some good points. If I or a family member would benefit from using marijuana for a medical condition, I would find a way to get it.

I am on record for abolishing DTF and agree in general money spend on marijuana enforcement is a waste.

Personally, I don't like anything that alters my mind including alcohol. And yes, I have used them, but quit everything years ago.

-- Posted by Red_Rhino on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 8:55 AM
  • The problem with plants and natural stuff is it can't be patented. A chemical version of same thing can be and that is worth money.

Dupont was behind banning hemp so they could sell man made materials.

And so it goes.

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 6:58 PM
  • -- Posted by Lumpy on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 7:57 PM
  • I don't use marijuana or tobacco. Except for a blood pressure medication, I only will touch occasional aspirin. Except for occasional wine with dinner. I don't like or use hard liquor or beer. So I really don't have a dog in this fight. But I'm a bit weary of the government telling us what we can or can not ingest of our own free will.

If some people cause others injury as a result of their actions, laws and the courts offer remedies.

So as far as I'm concerned, smoke all the weed you want, drink yourself to an early grave. or pop all the pain pills you want until you're numb, fine with me as long as you don't cause injury to anyone else in the process.

Unfortunatly, it may not be quite that simple, but I wish it was.

-- Posted by voyager on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 9:56 PM
  • You know I am not one who believes most conspiracy theories, however there is one that sounds plausible. The pharmaceutical companies was behind the outlawing of weed. If it wasn't against the law to smoke pot, the majority of people who live with pain would choose it instead of having to rely on harsh drugs like morphine, hydrocodone, percacet, etc. And the drug companies would not make the $$$$$ they do.

For example: one of my scripts cost my insurance company $700 per month.

-- Posted by Skeptic1 on Thu, Sep 2, 2010, at 10:31 PM

Respond to this thread