Speak Out: Elected Officials/Politicians, Ethics and Etiquette: What's acceptable, and what's not?

Posted by Tempest on Tue, Jul 28, 2009, at 12:41 PM:

In lue of all the talk about Commissioner Purcell, Sarah Palin, Bill Clinton, and George Bush. I think it's time to lay the cards out, and discuss what's acceptable. There's plenty of fodder on the Local, State, and Federal levels. So have at it.

Replies (15)

• Great topic Snoops! Where does one begin? Here's a good start.

1. Thin skinned local politicians that call up voters and taxpayers at home when they've been the subject of public ridicule?

2. Politicians that don't pay their taxes in a timely manner?

3. Politician's that secretly tape record conversations?

4. Politician's who use their business's and elected positions "together" for financial gain?

5. Folk's who run for office, just to have a job?

6. Politician's who cheat on their wives?

7. Politician's with no moral foundation?

8. Politician's who fail to acknowledge that the taxpaying and voting constituency are their bosses?

9. Politician's who use their positions to harass citizens?

10. Elected officials who make silly decisions with the taxpayer money, (really screw up) and then fail to do the right thing like resign their position?

11. Politicians or elected officials who appear to show favoritism to certain members of the public?

12. Politician's with "criminal" records? DUIs? Arrests?

Where does it end?

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Tue, Jul 28, 2009, at 12:53 PM
  • I don't believe any of these are acceptable.

-- Posted by Chief_Sagamore on Tue, Jul 28, 2009, at 1:05 PM
  • Gramps, I think you hit most of the major points here. Ha ha ha. If this continues, our next Mayor will probably be a convicted felon or something.

-- Posted by capetowndown on Tue, Jul 28, 2009, at 1:17 PM
  • The only one that I could think of is don't squaredance in roundhouses.

-- Posted by Lumpy on Tue, Jul 28, 2009, at 1:32 PM
  • grandpa

What's accecptable is whatever the voters will allow which is all of the above that you posted. (See the incumbancy rate).

Where does it end? It doesn't.

-- Posted by FreedomFadingFast on Tue, Jul 28, 2009, at 1:56 PM
  • They will keep on doing what every they can get away with. the voters keep on voting them back into office time and time again, corporate money helps pay their bills and the fellow politicians help them cover their tracks.

I dont think it will change anytime soon. When a good person is sent to D.C. they get corrupted.

-- Posted by Airborne 95B on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 8:01 AM
  • I have said it before and I will say it again. People think the only bad politicians are the ones in every district than their own. That's why they keep getting elected. Do you really think they care what you and I think about an issue? The only one that got anybody's attention was the immigration legislation a while back.

-- Posted by howdydoody on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 12:11 PM
  • Wow, Grandpa/megla is being very critical, I wonder if he has any skeletons in his closet? Divorce, DUI,job problems,has he ever been sued, has he ever ran for office? Dont know the answers to any of these questions but makes you think about people in glass houses doesnt it.

-- Posted by J Purcell on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 5:04 PM
  • He probably does, but he's not an elected official like some of the others that post. Thinking about it, I wonder if the Missourian ever looked into the Bankruptcies or "forced" resignations of other elected officials in the county. Maybe something about a grocery store? Kickbacks? or abuse of power? I don't know the answers to these questions, but makes you think about people in glass houses doesn't it.

-- Posted by Egotistical_Bigot on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 7:48 PM
  • he may even have a gun charge, wouldn't mess with folks like that *wink*

-- Posted by Grandpa_Sassy on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 7:51 PM
  • Boss,

Thank you for responding, and thank you for playing. I've been internally accessing "your" situation specifically for almost a year now. Your last comment only affirms a call I received from a "private" number just last week. LOL! I just hope for your sake that "they" don't find you've been using county resources to play tiddlewinks here on the SO Forum. It'll be the "second" most embarrassing moment of your life.

-- Posted by Tempest on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 8:10 PM
  • are my eyes deceiving me? Or did Boss_Hogg (a possible elected official) just threaten a citizen? I'm reporting this to the Missourian and calling Morley in the morning.

-- Posted by capetowndown on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 8:17 PM
  • Mr. Wiffle, I'm not sure what you are inferring. I don't have any person issues with Hog. I'm just reading and responding to the thing as I see it go down. Even though I know neither Hog or Snoops, it is pretty obvious the two have some personal issues that need ironed out. My concern was the innuendos that Hog seems to be making.

-- Posted by capetowndown on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 9:08 PM
  • Sorry, can't seem to think of 'what's acceptable' with today's politicians ... It appears that just about anything is. Maybe just basic 100% honesty and ethics ...

Unacceptable is easier, Snoops! One of my pet peeves about most politicians ... relating their own pick-and-choose 'facts' while leaving out all the facts that might tell a more honest (and often different) story?

Another is 'bashing' an opponent during a campaign, rather than sticking to one's own platform ... A more-honest and ethical way of handling opposing views/beliefs would be to discuss a comparison of each.

Oh ... and making things up is unacceptable. ~laughing~

-- Posted by gurusmom on Thu, Jul 30, 2009, at 1:24 PM
  • are my eyes deceiving me? Or did Boss_Hogg (a possible elected official) just threaten a citizen? I'm reporting this to the Missourian and calling Morley in the morning.

-- Posted by capetowndown on Wed, Jul 29, 2009, at 8:17 PM

Am I'm the one with 'issues' and needs to be banned. oflmao.

-- Posted by Turnip on Thu, Jul 30, 2009, at 9:56 PM

Respond to this thread