Speak Out: Speak Out 3/2/21

Posted by Schaefer's World on Tue, Mar 2, 2021, at 8:06 AM:

Masks, sports

I can't understand why my student had to wear a mask at Cape Central when the Penguin Party school fundraiser was a maskless event. Why do Jackson students have to wear masks at school with their peers but they play basketball at other schools in front of maskless crowds?

Academic scholarship

High school students need to understand that good students are earning far more scholarship money than good athletes. Grades, test scores, and community involvement matter more than buckets, touchdowns, and goals. Don't be discouraged that society misplaces praise by writing news articles about partial athletic scholarships. Your academic achievements are newsworthy and worth celebrating.

Deer petition

I just spotted a beautiful white deer in the woods near my home in Cape. If Cape Girardeau insists on allowing bow hunting of deer in the city, at least make the albino deer off limits. Otherwise my name goes on that petition to stop it.

Replies (11)

Masks, sports: Different School Boards make different regulations. IMO, school kids don't need to wear masks and all schools should be in classroom teaching.

Academic scholarship: Since, it's a low percentage of Athletics that go on to play professional sports, good grades and academic scholarships should be the goal for students and their parents.

Deer petition: What I don't understand is with all the Missouri Conservation folks on the payrolls why can't they shoot the deer with tranquilizer darts and then haul them away to forests away from populated areas.

And that's the way it should be according to Schaefer's World....Tuesday, March 2, 2021.

-- Posted by Schaefer's World on Tue, Mar 2, 2021, at 8:15 AM

Off into the miscellaneous, non-front page, bordering on trivial news, see that over-the-air TV station 27 has added 3 more channels for a total of six, making for 7 stations and a total of 32 stations now available in Cape, using a reasonably decent antenna.

Also see that PBS station 8 seems to have its local transmitter stabilized, as the reception has improved noticeably over the past month or so.

Perhaps it's available around these parts, but haven't found anyone offering turnkey outdoor antenna installations and hookups.

At my previous ~$100 per month cable TV bill, suggests a payback potential on the order of a few months, which could be attractive for those looking to trim their bills while still getting a decent buffet of choices.

About half of these channels don't catch my interest, but the other half provides all I care to watch, at a price I really like, without having to point-n-click-n-switch input-n-search-n-browse with a FireStick or the like.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Mar 3, 2021, at 10:15 AM
  • Speaking of over-the-air TV stations , the old style roof aerials can get almost as many as cable for a whole lot less money with the same reception .

Just sayin'..

-- Posted by Dissident on Wed, Mar 3, 2021, at 10:26 AM

"...the old style roof aerials..." -- Posted by enigma on Wed, Mar 3, 2021, at 10:26 AM

I agree, although not many houses in the 'hood here still have them. House here was on cable TV since the 80s, and when it was re-roofed, the aerial stand wasn't put back in.

Also, the old antenna(s) may not be ideal for optimum signal receptions after all the FCC repacks and such, where KFVS is now on real Channel 11, WSIL is now on real Channel 34, WPSD is now on real Channel 19, WSIU is now real Channel 28, and KBSI is now real Channel 36.

Plus many of the older homes were wired with the 300-ohm flat lead, where now 75-ohm RG6 cable is the recommended low-loss method.

Figure many looking to cut the cable, at least for TV, may either not know how, or just don't want to, fool with setting up the antenna and running any needed cabling within the house to the respective TV(s), separating from any existing Spectrum or other ISP cable as needed.

Thus, the observation of a potential business opportunity, or suggestion for a better ad campaign for any businesses who are already offering this.

Cut the cable here a year ago January, given the do-it-yourself antenna purchase, installation, and cable routings, figure the break-even payback occurred last May or so. May not be for everybody, but works for me! :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Mar 4, 2021, at 5:34 PM
  • HAM Radios are better then any chat room too , they are the original "cloud" . The , umm , authorities , don't or can't snoop as easy plus they don't get hacked either . Nobody can ban anybody , real free speech there.

-- Posted by Dissident on Thu, Mar 4, 2021, at 9:46 PM
  • The World's First Space Hotel Will Open in 2027 — and You Can Even Buy a Vacation Home There

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/space-astronomy/voyager-station-firs...

-- Posted by Dissident on Sat, Mar 6, 2021, at 7:19 AM

Thank you but no thank you. Will be leaving this rock soon enough as it is.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 6, 2021, at 9:23 AM
  • It's only $5 million dollars for 2 nights .

It doesn't mention guests have to be quarantined after they come back or the Space Station hasn't figured out how to get warm blooded mammals to survive in space for an extended period of time , I wouldn't want to be an employee up there .

-- Posted by Dissident on Sat, Mar 6, 2021, at 10:25 AM

A Ferris Wheel is too high off Terra Firma for me.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Mar 6, 2021, at 11:35 AM
  • One of The Nation’s Largest Pipelines Caused The Biggest Spill in Decades–And We’re Just Hearing About It

https://earther.gizmodo.com/one-of-the-nation-s-largest-pipelines-caused-the-big...

-- Posted by Dissident on Sat, Mar 6, 2021, at 6:40 PM
  • Note : There are around 190,000 miles of pipelines that transport liquid petroleum products across the U.S.

Keystone is political , not practical

-- Posted by Dissident on Sat, Mar 6, 2021, at 6:42 PM

Respond to this thread