Speak Out: Speak Out 7/29/20

Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 8:21 AM:

Trump on masks

"We're asking everybody when you're not able to socially distance to wear a mask," President Trump said. He added: "Whether you like masks or not, wear a mask." Now the few of you remaining hold outs have no excuse. Wear a mask!

Street sweeper

I'm watching the city equipment referred to as the street sweeper and wondering what service this actually does. I can't see how the street looks any cleaner after it's finished. Just another useless expenditure for taxpayers' money?

Mask usage

The Southeast Missourian recently seems to be focusing on the loud but few dissenting votes regarding face mask usage. Our community would benefit from increased coverage of the data supporting the face mask mandate. Our area has lower numbers than much of our country, but instead of perceiving these statistics as a justification for not masking, we should mask in order to try to maintain, if not reduce, these lower numbers. Face masks have, over time, proven to be one of the few tools we have to mitigate the spread of the virus. The virus is affecting all ages, and the consequences of being infected can be extremely serious. The mandate to mask is no more a restriction of personal rights than mandates to wear seat belts or respect speed limits, all geared toward keeping us safe and not burdening our society with the financial and emotional costs of unnecessary injuries, deaths.

Police funding

The word "defunding" is a poor choice of words in identifying my concerns regarding policing in our country. I do believe restructuring of funds, giving more to social services that support the work of our police departments, while decreasing moneys used toward militarizing our police, is essential. Police do not need to look nor act like troops dealing with terrorists in Baghdad. They do need more assistance in dealing with domestic violence, substance abuse, mental health issues and racial prejudices. I support Black Lives Matter and I believe most people who support "defunding" police are actually seeing the issues as I do and not as closing down police departments. I want to add that I am very supportive of and have positive feelings toward the Jackson Police Department, where I reside.

Wear mask

I have two questions for the person who went before the county medical board and said masks were proven to be useless and would not stop the spread of COVID-19. My first response is to ask what your medical degree is and at which college did you receive it? My second question: If you had children and one of them was sick with the flu, would you put another child in bed with the sick one? I would hope not, because the second little one could easily be infected through the breathing of the sick child. The same can be said for the virus being passed from an uncovered mouth. Come on, it's just a piece of cloth.

Anti-mask agenda

I'm appalled that the Nell Holcomb School superintendent is representing himself as in a anti-mask crusader while being charged with the care of our children. You shouldn't get to use your taxpayer-funded title in an attempt to give yourself and your views any credibility.

Replies (12)

Trump on masks: Enough said about masks.

Street sweeper: I've seen it in operation and the street looked worst after it made it's pass. Maybe the equipment isn't maintained correctly.

Mask usage: People break laws all the time as the caller pointed out so wearing masks is not going to be 100% usage.

Police funding: If you move money from the police dept. to social services than you are "defunding" the police - doesn't make any difference how you word it.

Wear mask: I might ask the same question - do you have a MD degree to prove the usefulness of masks.

Anti-mask agenda: Are you sure your call is accurate?

And that's the way it should be according to Schaefer's World....Wednesday July 29, 2020.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 8:38 AM

"I do believe restructuring of funds, giving more to social services that support the work of our police departments, while decreasing moneys used toward militarizing our police, is essential."

Can you define those Social Services you praise?

Social Services usually end up as passing out more hard earned tax payer funds to those who prefer sitting on the couch watching a big flat screen to holding a job.

My recommendation for BLM protesters would be to use your energies to clean up your neighborhoods so you are deserving of respect instead of just demanding it. Same thing applies to PWT.

Go back to the days of the Mayflower Passengers... you don't work you don't eat.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 9:38 AM

Rick, I have mixed feelings about mask requirements. I know the personal freedom thing. Then they say masks protect others not you. Do I really have the right to sneeze, spit and sputter potentially infecting others. Brings to mind the Mark Twain thing where he said something to the effect.... while I recognize your right to flail your arms about, those rights end where my nose begins. Does that also apply to our sneezing, breathing and whatever? I have to say, I hate wearing them, but am doing so around others.

More questions than answers here.

??????

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 1:52 PM

Such is life in the year 2020 , it is a shame some folks have politicalized an illness , what is a person to do ? It's not going to change my vote one way to another .

-- Posted by Deseased Turtle on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 2:31 PM

Rick, I believe we think a lot alike. I agree totally with the above. I wish I had an answer to 2020.

This virus reminds me of what I have read about the plagues of the midddle ages. Only we have scientific data to study and doctors and medications they did not have then. Good and bad, also allows us to start our own virus for power gain from one country to the other. Is that what happened with the Covid 19? Will we ever know for sure? All I know is I do not think China and the World Health Organization were being fair to the rest of the world. For my small part, I am boycotting Chinese products to to the best of my ability. Will I run them out of businesss? Hardly, but I feel better about it anyway and if others would do so we could make them feel it and bring some jobs home. Trying to find some things actually made here can be time consuming and sometimes it seems as if there is nothing manufactured here any longer.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 2:53 PM

Re: Street sweeper

The old ones from years back seemed to do a pretty good job. Watched the newer one go by here recently, and had questions of whether the brush heights and rotational directions were set right and also noticed it was running dry.

Remember the old operators stopping regularly at fire hydrants along their route to fill'er back up, having their own special double-secret penta-head hydrant wrench, as those units put a light spray stream down ahead of the brushes and vacuum.

Heard tell that the best street sweeping results happen after a light rain, when the pavement is still damp but not runny wet.

Perhaps it's 'operator error'... :-)

-- Posted by fxpwt on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 5:19 PM

-- Posted by Deseased Turtle on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 9:21 PM

Rick I have heard of people that hid their money in strange places. Years ago a couple who are friends of ours had her Father passed away. There was money hid in the refrigerator and in the freezer in the basement. A person always needs a litle cash around the house for emergencies, but for security it should be kept to a minimum. Bills are usually paid with checks anyway, so a lot of cash is unncessary and the bank is where money should be kept.

Sorry you are having to go through all of that. I think a lot of people keep too much junk. You know when you have moved 10 years or more ago and you still have boxes of stuff that was packed then and has not been opened in all of this time, you really need that stuff/junk.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jul 29, 2020, at 11:03 PM

We went thru that pack rack stuff back when girlfriend's Dad died. In fact still have stuff stored that needs to be looked thru. Anyone that was around during the Depression and WWII kept everything as a matter of habit.

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Thu, Jul 30, 2020, at 6:45 AM

"Anyone that was around during the Depression and WWII kept everything as a matter of habit."

Found here also, when cleaning things out after they had passed.

Admired how they still practiced the thrifty and frugal ways, even though they had since become financially comfortable - still stashing away seeming trivial stuff and not throwing anything out until ALL the good was got.

Mayonnaise jars and coffee cans full of assorted and mismatched screws, bolts, nuts, and nails; stacks of paper grocery bags; gift wrap saved for another use, etc. - habits carried from the days when recycling was a have-to necessity.

-- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Jul 30, 2020, at 7:58 AM

- Posted by fxpwt on Thu, Jul 30, 2020, at 7:58 AM

I have my own mini stash of oddball screws, nails and that kind of stuff and just a couple of days ago found just the right screw to hang my outdoor temperature sensor in a protected from the weather area.

Nothing like what I grew up with though. We had one of those old wooden nail kegs in the barn, way more than half full of bent nails of all sizes known to mankind. These has been pulled for years from every board that had ever been removed from somewhere. Guess who got the job of straightening them for periodic reuse. Use of store boughten new nails was highly restricted and they were kept in high security for use only by authorized personnel.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jul 30, 2020, at 9:21 AM

So far as foreign governments meddling in our elections, didn't Obama send the signal to the world that it was ok to do so when he meddled in Israel's election?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jul 31, 2020, at 8:51 AM

Wasn't that earth shaking threat by Obama to Russia of - Now quit it, had Putin soiling his pants.

Now what's so uncivil about this? Seen alot worst from the Liberals on these threads. Wouldn't be trying to censor Conservatives are you?

-- Posted by Truth Slinger on Fri, Jul 31, 2020, at 9:25 AM

Rick, and these are the astute individuals the Democrats want to put in complete control of our Healthcare system.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jul 31, 2020, at 12:53 PM

Respond to this thread