Speak Out: Speak Out 10/3/17

Posted by Donna Runnels on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 8:40 AM:

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Fair noise

The SEMO District Fair was an excellent experience for my young daughter and me until it became a semi-traumatic experience for her. The tractor pull noises were terrible and the black smoke rising up was way over the top and I'm sure not good for the environment. I could hear the noises from my home miles away until at least 11 pm. Closing night should be fun for the entire family and a healthy affair. Not air and noise pollution.

Trump football

President Trump's comment encouraging NFL owners to fire NFL players who don't stand for the National Anthem set off a firestorm. I have no doubt that was what he intended. It's right out of Steve Bannon's and Lenin's playbook. In order for a revolution to succeed, it must be permanent.

Taxes, parents

Just heard that our public schools are now paying (actually we taxpayers) are paying for ACT tests. Schools claims they need more money? We are already feeding breakfast and lunch maybe even dinner some places. What will be next? Pay for gas in the students' vehicles? Parents need to take more pride in raising kids. Not have taxpayers doing the majority of it for them. Some parents need to sacrifice the alcohol and cigarettes and pay for their kids' ACT test or maybe even cook their kid a breakfast. Then at graduation that kid can say thanks to their parents, not to the taxpayers for their education.

Volleyball

I would like to comment on your reporting of girls volleyball games. My granddaughter plays volleyball. I get so aggravated that you only mention the winning team, and the losing team does not get a mention. These girls have played their hearts out, but unless they win, they do not get a mention! Some of them have made good score for their team even if they lost, but you act like they don't even exist! Thank you.

Park project

Good win-win for the parks in south Cape and downtown Cape. It is a great boon to all of the great things going on in the efforts to make Cape the best city in Missouri. Remember the beautiful south side softball field of long ago -- which brought in teams from all over the state. It featured the best fast-pitch team (the Howard Swans Jets). Bet you forgot that field in Cape.

Replies (6)

• Fair noise...the Fair was a good experience for everyone

Trump football...it's all been about the Commander in Tweet so far , he wants the attention , his controversial actions have worked too . The USA has become a live 24/7 Jerry Springer Show .

Park project...it will take more then parks to make Cape the greatest City in Missouri

Thnx Tom Petty , R.I.P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D3a5eDJIs

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 9:14 AM

Fair noise: Did you explain to your daughter what was happening and that lots of folks enjoy the tractor pull which lasts only a few hours.

Trump football: It's about being a proud America standing for the National Anthem and saluting or hand over heart for the Flag.

Taxes, parents: If the student had a summer job like I did, they then could pay for their own ACT test.

Volleyball: Sports are about winning, if your team lost, practice more and your team might then be a winner. Until then just practice good sportsmanship.

Park project: The Tailgate Flea Market and the visit of the two historic ships (Nina & Pinta) were both great events this past weekend in downtown Cape.

And that's the way it should be....Tuesday October 3, 2017.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 10:01 AM
  • RIP Tom Petty. One guy I always wanted to see in person but never made it.

For fans,get a copy(it will probably be on TV again) of "Tom Petty:Runnin'down a dream". The best "Roc Doc" ever made.

-- Posted by DA Braswell on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 11:25 AM
  • -- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 12:43 PM
  • Reckon I'm just not a big music guy. I do enjoy so many of the videos and the challenge to sort out just what point the lyrics are intended to make and of course there is the challenge to hear some rhythm or beat not heard before.

Might be why I never heard of Tom Petty. No disrespect intended.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 11:04 PM

Richard,

I hear you. When I heard of Petty's demise, I thought he was one of the racing family of Pettys.

-- Posted by Ralph VanGennip on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 8:01 AM

Respond to this thread