Speak Out: Speak Out 8/6/17

Posted by David Schaefer on Sun, Aug 6, 2017, at 8:54 AM:

Tax holiday

When looking at the cities who opted out of No Tax Weekend it's a shame but not surprising that Cape Girardeau opted out. They need that sales-tax money for more stupid ideas like sculptures that are eyesores, roundabouts that cause congestion, and a silly bus downtown. That sales-tax money helps families. Jackson does the no-tax weekend. This is pushing me more and more to sell my house and move to Jackson where they have 100 percent better roads and seem to make better plans for their citizens.

Better service

I strongly suggest the Cape Public Library hold a training for their employees based around customer service and providing help. The current attitude of sit at my desk, say no, don't listen to a word I say, and then proceed to hand me a pamphlet left a sour taste in my mouth.

Replies (4)

Tax holiday: Sikeston also had no tax weekend. Cities can live without the taxes for two days out of the year. School clothes and supplies are high enough even without the tax so come on Cape give your citizens a break next year.

Better service: Maybe there were a lot of folks there that also needed help. Try to help yourself and if you still have problems try the library staff again.

And that's the way it should be....Sunday August 6, 2017.

-- Posted by David Schaefer on Sun, Aug 6, 2017, at 9:02 AM
  • Tax holiday....thanx again .

Better service...some People use their Court ordered Community Service time at Public Libraries .

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Sun, Aug 6, 2017, at 9:20 AM
  • With school taxes what they are I would think state and district mandated supplies would be covered. We have went from obese children to starving children in a political change and every year the parents that buy new supplies are made to feel greedy if they don't buy also for the ones that expect theirs for free.

People rent movies from private business so why can't private enterprise operate a good library. If there is a need for a library the public will support it and it will have to make folks happy or someone else will start one and do better.

-- Posted by R. W. Bess on Sun, Aug 6, 2017, at 11:40 AM
  • Zipping through the heavens, the Perseid meteor shower peaks this weekend

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/11/zipping-t...

-- Posted by Rick Scaggs on Sat, Aug 12, 2017, at 10:13 AM

Respond to this thread