- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Sept. 23, 1954 Southeast Missourian
These 985 persons at the record Trinity Lutheran loyalty gathering Wednesday night at the Arena were served a turkey dinner within a 45-minute period, under direction of Charles Schneider. All persons were seated at once for the unusual dinner, the largest ever held in Cape. Fifty girls did the serving. (G.D. Fronabarger/Southeast Missourian archive)
Note the tables set up on the raised basketball floor.
State College and Central High School basketball games had always been played at Houck Field House until that building was destroyed by fire in February 1948.
A temporary hardwood basketball floor was brought in to the Arena Building from the former Weingarten, Mo. prisoner of war camp. That floor was 60 feet by 90 feet which was larger than the floor at the field house.
The 49th annual Lincoln Day celebration held April 8, 2018 at the Arena Building was sponsored by the Cape County Republican Women's Club.
Read more about the Arena Building in this previous blog: