- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
March 17, 1977 Southeast Missourian
Crews for R.B. Potashnick Construction, Inc. have begun the $2.2 million widening project for Highway 34-61. Trees near Wedekind Park are being removed. The road will be divided from the Interstate 55 intersection, east to a point near Boulder Crest drive on the downhill side. From there it will be an undivided four-lane road to where the present four lanes end near Route W.
March 25, 1977 Southeast Missourian
The once heavily-timbered hillside along Highway 61 leading to Jackson is becoming more barren under the onslaught of the bulldozer as preparations continue to build a four-lane highway. The road will be widened between Wedekind Park and Cape LaCroix Creek, a distance of nearly two miles under a contract of the R.B. Potashnick Construction Co. The view here is toward Jackson. (Fred Lynch photos)
Highway 61 just north of Cape Girardeau, looking toward Jackson.
Highway 61 north of Cape Girardeau at KFVS Hill, looking south.
Highway 61, left, and Old Jackson Road, looking north from near KFVS Hill.
Aerial views of Highway 61 and Old Jackson Road:
Aerial view of antenna and history of KFVS radio and television: