- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
G.D. Fronabarger made these undated pictures of the Ten-Mile Garden between Cape Girardeau and Jackson. The garden was begun in 1931 by the Cape Special Road District with the cooperation of the State Highway Department. Individuals and members of service clubs and garden clubs from both cities participated in the plantings. In 1952, there were 10,000 roses, 1,317 evergreens and 14,000 other varieties of plants along the scenic route.
The garden no longer exists. According to a March 19, 1965 story in the Southeast Missourian, "in the past 10 years the garden has not been maintained by the [state highway] department because of construction work on Interstate 55, widening of sections of Highway 61 and general lack of funds. As a result the garden gradually lost its beauty and is now only a shell of its former grandeur."
Blogger James Baughn writes more about the history of the Ten-Mile Garden in his Pavement Ends blog: