- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
May 31, 1979 Southeast Missourian
A contractor employed by Missouri Pacific Lines has begun work on resurfacing pavement around the railroad tracks on Independence. Larry Stanton of Murphysboro, Ill., was operating the roller Wednesday afternoon near Pacific Street.
Aug. 7, 1979 Southeast Missourian
This machine is tearing up Missouri Pacific rails at Independence Street near Clark Avenue as part of crossing replacement work begun Monday. Thirteen other crossings in the city are scheduled for upgrading by the end of October. The work is being done by Missouri Pacific Lines. (Fred Lynch photos)
Some 3.3 miles of track, a portion of which ran down the middle of Independence, crossed the city. The tracks were removed in 1986 after the line had been abandoned.
Read more in this previous blog: