- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
This aerial photo by G.D. Fronabarger was made about 1950. In the lower left corner, Walter Adams Motor Co. is shown. Read more about the new Hudson dealer below. Above, left, is L.A. Tucker Truck Lines. In the center is Landgraf Lumber Co. and at right is Superior Electric.
Read more in these previous blogs:
July 18, 1949 Southeast Missourian
Many Attend Motor Company's Opening
A continuous crowd of people filled the new building at 1444 Independence street, quarters of the Walter Adams Motor Co., Hudson dealer for the Cape Girardeau area, Saturday when the formal opening was held. According to Mr. Adams, approximately 4000 persons visited the building, when a special display of new Hudson was featured. Music was provided throughout the day by the Hillbilly Band.
Winner of the grand prize, a Bendix radio-phonograph combination, was Mrs. George D. Holmes, 204 Park drive. Decorations at the new building featured numerous floral bouquets, gifts to the company, and an array of colorful banners. Hudson officials present were N.C. Cunningham, zone manager from St. Louis; Pat Frank, advertising manager from Detroit, Mich.; Roger Pahmeyer, district representative of St. Louis, and B.J. Galardi, parts traveler from St. Louis.
An advertisement for Walter Adams Motor Co. in the Southeast Missourian on July 14, 1950 stated, "We are not out of business, as is rumored. New Hudsons in stock. We have the largest Hudson parts and accessories department between St. Louis and Memphis. We service any make car in our shop."
The 1951 city directory lists Deal Sales Co. at 1444 Independence. The company sold Oldsmobiles.