- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
G.D. Fronabarger made this picture of pupils entering the Junior High School on the first day of classes as well as the first day of integration on Sept. 7, 1954 in Cape Girardeau.
The former Central High School, built in 1915, became the junior high when the new high school building on Caruthers Avenue opened in 1953. On Oct. 24, 1965, the junior high building was rededicated as Louis J. Schultz School, housing a seventh-grade center. In 2002, Schultz School closed. The building is presently Schultz Senior Apartments.
Sept. 7, 1954 Southeast Missourian
Public Schools in First Day of Term (excerpt)
Supt. L.J. Schultz reported an increase of 87 in public school enrollment over the first day a year ago. Today's enrollment was 3165, including kindergartens. A year ago the first-day figure was 3078, also including kindergarten pupils.
Integration of Negro and White pupils went into effect for the first time. Mr. Schultz said there were 36 Negro pupils enrolled at Jefferson School, which was retained on a voluntary basis for any children who wished to go there. A total of 23 Negro children reported at Washington School, 24 at Central High School, nine at May Greene School and two at Lorimier School.
Greatest increase in enrollment was at Franklin, where 69 more pupils were present than on opening day a year ago. Extra rooms have been partitioned there to provide additional space and the kindergarten class was limited. Central High School showed an overall increase of 33 pupils....
Enrollments in the public schools, last year's first and then this year's, were: Franklin, 596 and 665; Washington, 471 and 497; Lorimier, 260 and 293; May Greene, 431 and 445; Junior High School, 403 and 398; Jefferson, 120 and 36; Central, 798 and 831.