- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Hartung's began as a locksmith and gunsmith business by Gottfried Hartung in 1888. This photo by G.D. Fronabarger shows a later building, built in 1900, that was taken during the Cape Girardeau Sesquicentennial celebration in 1956.
Gottfried Hartung's son, William C. Hartung, owned the locksmith shop located at 600 Broadway until it moved to 240 N. Frederick St. in February 1965.
The next month, the vacant building on Broadway was damaged when a car was knocked into the structure. The building was torn down and a gas station was built on the site. Star Service Station opened Dec. 3, 1965.
From the Morgue by Sharon Sanders: