- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Jan. 4, 1941 Southeast Missourian
Members of the Third Battalion National Headquarters Detachment, the communications division of the Missouri National Guard, lined up in front of the Arena Building Jan. 1, 1941.
Top row, from left: Sgt. Orville Reed, Pvts. Elmer Green, William T. Clore, Frederick Borgard, Francis J. Lewis, Ellsworth Vanvil, Edward L. Bickett, Lester A. Schwab, Robert C. Jenkins and T-Sgt. Vernie B. Baltzell. Front row, from left, Lt. William H. Green, Pvts. Joseph Ford, Robert Ballard, Virgil McKinzie, Walter Leher, Willard E. Green, William H. Moore, Edward A. McKee, Cpls. R.A. Pensela and William H. Slinkard, and Lt. R.C. Roth. (G.D. Fronabarger photo)
Three days later, the unit pulled out of Cape Girardeau for Camp Robinson, Ark., for what was to have been a year of training. A world war came along before their year of duty had expired, however, and most of the men didn't return to civilian life for four or five years.