- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
A three-story, ornate brick building once stood on Water Street in Cape Girardeau and housed the S. Albert Grocery Store, with the Albert Boat Store to its south on the northwest corner of Water and Themis streets.
Built in the mid-1800s, the building featured an arcade of six arches on the first level façade with elaborate carved window hoods. Sebastian Albert, a wholesale grocer and commission merchant, purchased interest in his brother's wholesale grocery business around 1860, and the business became known as J. & S. Albert Wholesale Grocers. It continued to operate until 1877, when Sebastian Albert took over and renamed it S. Albert Wholesale Grocers. His business specialized in wholesale grocery, liquors and farm implements.
Sebastian Albert was born in France and immigrated to the United States, settling first in Louisville, Ky. In 1846, he moved to Jackson and worked in the general merchandising. He joined the Gold Rush, traveling to California in 1850, but returned to Cape Girardeau three years later. In 1865, Albert married Rosa L. Miles of Cape Girardeau. He died in 1895. In May 1959, the grocery building and the one south of it were razed by Cape Federal Savings & Loan Association for a parking lot. -- (from Lost and Saved)
Beverly Hahs writes about the Alberts in this column from Oct. 3, 2020:
In this previous blog, the S. Albert Grocery building is razed:
(Photo from a booklet circa 1900)