- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
June 26, 1957 Southeast Missourian
Their jobs end Saturday morning. These toll talkers at the traffic bridge will be without jobs when the bridge becomes toll free Saturday morning. From the left, front, are Orville Boswell, Robert Thomas, W.M. Ferguson and Charles Etherton. At the back, Claude Miller, Harry Rabe, Russell Miller and E.N. Blumer. (G.D. Fronabarger photo)
The Cape Special Road District managed the bridge from 1946 to 1957. In those 11 years, tolls paid amounted to $3,952,129.
The highest annual income was in 1953 with $427,141 collected on 885,733 crossings.
When the bridge opened in 1928, the rates were published in the newspaper:
"The toll for an automobile and driver is $1, and for a round trip made the same day there is a special rate of $1.25. The charge for each additional passenger is 10 cents for the one-way trip and 20 cents for the round trip. The charge for a pedestrian is 20 cents for a one-way trip, with no reduction for the round trip."