- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
June 11, 1968 Southeast Missourian
Mrs. Carl Kiehne points to the old streetcar rails along Broadway which now will be completely covered by the (asphalt) surfacing. Mrs. Kiehne recalls coming to Cape Girardeau during the fair and riding the streetcars. The streetcar company was operated by Missouri Utilites Co. until 1934. (Missourian archive)
Note Wimpy's Restaurant in the background near Broadway and Henderson Avenue. The business opened in 1962 in the former Kilgore Drug Store and Restaurant.
The book, When Missouri Took the Trolley, by Andrew D. Young, details the route of the trolley in Cape Girardeau:
International Shoe on North Main south to Broadway, west on Broadway, north on Henderson, west on Normal, south on West End Blvd., east on William, south a block on Pacific, east on Good Hope, north on Spanish, east on Independence a block to Main, north on Main to Broadway. Two blocks were added on Spanish south from Broadway to Independence, then a block east to Main, avoiding Broadway hill.