- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Two women stand on a dry sidewalk outside Gately's store on Main Street in 1951. The view is to the south toward Independence Street. Other stores include Schiff's Big Shoe Store, J.J. Newberry Co., J.C. Penney Co. and F.W. Woolworth Co. (G.D. Fronabarger photo)
The highest river crest in 1951 was 41.8 feet.
The record river crest in Cape Girardeau was 48.49 feet on Aug. 8, 1993. The second-highest historical crest was 47 feet on May 24, 1995. Flood stage is 32 feet.
Construction of the flood control system began in 1956 and ended in 1964 at a cost of more than $4 million.
More river flooding blogs: