- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Dec. 10, 1976 Southeast Missourian
It's Ho! Ho! Ho! and a'shopping we do go in Cape Girardeau these hectic days as Christmas creeps up at an ever faster pace. Shoppers are converging by the thousands on stores in the city's business areas; automobile traffic is at a year's peak and parking is at a premium everywhere.
Here is a northward view of Main street from Independence, showing congestion of both parked and moving vehicles with shoppers lining both sidewalks. (Fred Lynch photo)
Some of the stores visible on the east side include Montgomery Ward, Osco Drugs, Otasco, Ross Young Clothing, Lee Optical and Radio Shack. On the left side include Oglander's, P.N. Hirsch, Zickfield's and Personal Finance.