- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Fort D, one of four Civil War forts in Cape Girardeau. In 1936, using funds and labor from the WPA, the Louis K. Juden Post of the American Legion had the earthworks rebuilt along plans supplied by the War Department. A stone building was constructed at the center of the site, which served as a meeting place for a variety of clubs, as well as headquarters for Civil Defense in the 1950s. Shown here is construction of the stone building. (G.D. Fronabarger photos)
This view is looking east, toward the river.
This view is looking west.
Previous blogs of Fort D:
From the Morgue blog by Sharon Sanders:
Works Progress Administration blog, with links to Arena Building and Kent Library: