- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
This picture taken April 25, 1967 shows the Federal Building construction site at the southeast corner of Broadway and Fountain Street. This view faces Broadway.
The Marquette Hotel is the tallest building on the corner, at right. At left is the Idan-Ha Hotel. The Himmelberger-Harrison Building is between them.
From "Lost and Saved" by Terri Foley:
Old Post Office
The United States first established postal service in Cape Girardeau in 1805. Using numerous other buildings at various times, a new post office/federal building was opened at the southeast corner of Fountain Street and Broadway in 1910. Built in a massive Second Renaissance Revival style, newspaper articles of the time revealed the stately building cost around $98,000, with another $10,000 for furnishings and fixtures, and $18,000 for the land upon which it stood, bringing the total to about $126,000. The post office served the city well for many years, and it complemented the other large buildings at the same corner: The Idan-Ha Hotel, the Marquette Hotel and the H&H Building. Despite pleas by concerned Girardeans to save it, the old post office was razed in 1967, a process that took much longer than planned because of the building's sturdy construction, and the present federal courthouse rose in its place.
The building is now vacant. It was replaced by the new Rush Hudson Limbaugh Sr. U.S. Courthouse which was dedicated Oct. 6, 2008.