- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Cape Transit Co. buses are parked outside the bus garage at 425 Good Hope St. in this photo possibly taken in the late 1940s or 1950s. (G.D. Fronabarger photo)
From "Lost and Saved"
In January 1946, the Cape Transit Co. acquired property at 425 Good Hope St. in Cape Girardeau. The acquisition included two lots with houses. In order to allow time for the residents of the houses to relocate, work started at the rear of the lots. The property had belonged to Louis Wittmor and the Vinyard estate. On Jan. 18, footings for the office and garage were poured. The two-story brick building measured 60 feet by 112 feet. The garage floors were heated by hot water, and they were designed to give the mechanics warmth in the wintertime while working on the buses. Pits were installed within the floor to allow for changing of oil and for servicing the buses. Bus fare in 1947 was 5 cents. In the fall of 1978, the building was purchased by David "Pee Wee" Erlbacher to house Erlbacher Gear & Machine Works Inc. The upstairs is used as offices for the business, but at one time served as apartments.