- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
The Cape Central High School Marching Band marches past the Southeast Missourian building in the "Salute to Santa Claus" parade on Nov. 21, 1955 in Cape Girardeau. The old post office and Hotel Idan-Ha are visible in the background. Granite cobblestones are visible on Broadway hill. They were removed in 1956. The remains of street car rails can be seen in the middle of the hill. (G.D. Fronabarger photo)
from the Nov. 18, 1955 Southeast Missourian:
The Retail Merchants Association organized the annual Christmas parade that had 14 floats, 12 bands and the Golden Troopers as marching units, plus scores of children dressed in costume to compete for prizes.
Santa Claus paid a pre-parade visit to the children receiving treatment in the St. Francis Hospital polio center. They were taken to a point of vantage to view the parade as it passed by the hospital.
Bands in the parade included Cape Junior High, Fredericktown, Central High, Bell City, Cape Catholic High, Charleston, Illmo-Fornfelt, Chaffee, East Prairie, Gideon, Bloomfield and Hayti.
The parade route: Assembly area, Frederick and Good Hope streets; west on Good Hope to Pacific street, north on Pacific street to William street, east on William street to Sprigg street, north on Sprigg street to Themis street, west on Themis street to Pacific street, north on Pacific street to Broadway, east on Broadway to Main street, south on Main street to Frisco plaza and disband.