- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
This is the only picture we have that shows the Windmill Drive-In on North Kingshighway in Cape Girardeau. Frony made the picture in the early 1950s.
The drive-in is shown in the background of this extreme enlargement at the corner of what is now Mount Auburn Road and North Kingshighway. The property is north of the present Osage Centre.
The only references to the business we have found were tiny ads in the Locals and Personals column such as these:
Aug. 28, 1952
Hamburgers, beef and pork barbecues. Curb Service. Windmill Drive-In.
July 27, 1954
Cold Sliced Watermelon and Sandwiches. Windmill Drive-In.
March 31, 1955
FOR SALE -- Soft Cream machine, bottle cooler, and car trays. Windmill Drive-In, Highway 61 at Kage Road.