- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
We can tell it's the Christmas shopping season in this photo taken downtown on Main Street in Cape Girardeau by G.D. Fronabarger. It was probably in the late 1950s.
A 1958 city directory lists these stores that are visible: J.C. Penney Co., 5-7 N. Main; J.J. Newberry, 11-15 N. Main; Schiff's Big Shoe Store, 17 N. Main and Graber's, 19 N. Main.
Penney and Graber's were department stores. Newberry was a 5-cent to $1.00 store.