- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Kiwanis Club members pose to promote their upcoming benefit performance of Birch Master Magician and Company at Central High School Oct. 17, 1962.
A sign on the wooden box reads:
Challenge! The Southeast Missouri Lumber Co. challenges Birch to escape from the strong packing box. Box will be resealed on the stage by a committee from the audience. Birch accepts the challenge.
An advertisement notes the admission prices: Adults $1, children 50 cents.
The Cape Girardeau Kiwanis Club had also sponsored his show in 1947. According to a story in the Southeast Missourian, "the show will feature Princess, the vanishing pony; packing box escape; the silk mirage, canary and mazda lamp, Mabel Sperry, outstanding young xylophonist and other performers. The show comes here with stage settings valued at $20,000."
According to Wikipedia, MacDonald Birch was a headliner for over 50 years, retiring in the 1960s.
Mystery Solved: Turkey Farm