- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Frony photographed two well-dressed men with two deer on the hood of their car.
The date is unknown but was possibly taken in the 1940s.
The only clue is the sign on the building: Stubbs Beer Garden.
The 1942 Cape Girardeau city directory lists Stubbs Beer Garden, 1714 Broadway.
The 1945 directory lists Stubbs Beer Palace, 1720 Broadway.
The owners are listed as Thad L. Stubbs and W. H. Stubbs.
Could they be the men in the photo?
A possible scenario:
The men went hunting and drove home with the deer to change clothes. They called Frony to take a picture of them at Stubbs Beer Garden. Frony sold them a photograph or two. It might not have been published in the newspaper.
The Nov. 9, 1997 Southeast Missourian reported the obituary for Thad L. Stubbs.
Stubbs graduated from Blodgett High School in 1925. The family moved to Cape Girardeau and started Stubbs Root Beer Garden in 1925. After prohibition, the family ran Stubbs' Beer Garden from June 30, 1931, to June 30, 1974.