- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Southeast Missourian, April 14, 1949
The 79-year-old building at the southwest corner of Broadway and Pacific street is getting its face lifted and besides, literally getting its pants patched. Built in 1870 by F.C. Kreager, father of Mrs. Josephine Daues, 117 North Frederick street, the structure has stood until the past year without any major improvements to speak of.
Several days ago, as is shown in the accompanying picture, an old addition to the building at the rear was torn down. This was used for many years as a smokehouse and in recent years for storage. A parking lot is being readied at the rear of the building with an entrance from Pacific street, and a new front is being constructed on the building.
Mr. Kreager operated a general store in the corner room of the building and a little later opened a saloon in the west side of the building, which then for more than 40 years was operated by Oscar Becker as the Last Chance establishment. Mr. Kreager also had one of the early general stores in the community, in a small building which stood at Broadway and Perry avenue.
Mr. Kreager died in 1882. Sherman Freeman came here from Egypt Mills and operated a general store in the corner room for more than 25 years. The Kreager family resided on the second floor of the building when it was erected and the second floor has since served as living quarters for many families. Anton Wulfers bought the building in 1916 and his sons have charge of the present business, now taking in all of the ground floor.
The building was razed in the 1990s.
Thanks to a comment below by jcwill.
Excerpt from June 7, 1993 Southeast Missourian:
Last Chance gets one more chance as High Water Cafe
It has been called the First Chance.
Also the Last Chance.
It once was known as the Second Chance.
Now, it may have one more chance.
A landmark building, which stands on ground originally owned by the Spanish commandant of the area, Don Louis Lorimier, has been purchased by its fourth owner in history, and will become the High Water Cafe, a tea and coffee shop.
At the time of construction, Pacific Street was the city limit and the road in front of the saloon was a narrow, dirt pike called Harmony.
The saloon was the "last chance" to have a drink before taking the Jackson Road to Jackson. Also the saloon was the "first chance" to get a drink before entering Cape Girardeau on Harmony Street.
Excerpt from July 24, 1995 Southeast Missourian:
French Village is out, Broadway Court is in.
The former "Last Chance" Saloon, a historic building that housed a bar or tavern for more than 100 of its 120 years, has been taken down at the corner of Broadway and Pacific. A new parking lot to serve the new Broadway Court has been added at that corner.