- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
Our librarian, Sharon Sanders, found the details on this previous mystery photo.
A 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air crashed into a tree in the 1000 block of Themis street in Cape Girardeau. James Wrecker responded to the scene, as did G.D. Fronabarger with his camera. The recent inset photo shows the location at 1009 Themis Street.
Southeast Missourian, July 8, 1958:
Two Cape youths were injured in a traffic accident in the 1000 block of Themis today.
Injured in the accident at 7:45 a.m. today were Gary Thomas Christoff, 1408 Bloomfield, and Charles Edwin Schlegel Jr., 26 North Hanover. Christoff, 16, received lacerations of the nose, shins, upper lip and stomach. Schlegel, 15, received lacerations of the chin, forehead and to the inside of his mouth. Both were treated at St. Francis Hospital and dismissed.
Christoff was the driver of a 1955 four-door car traveling east on Themis, police said. Apparently the automobile went out of control and struck a tree on the south side of the street in front of 1000 Themis. The entire front of the car was demolished to the extent of $1200.