- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
The Cape Drive-In Theater is seen in this aerial photograph which G.D. Fronabarger took in the early 1960s.
It is in the upper right corner of the photo. The location is on the east side of Interstate 55 at Nash Road, south of Cape Girardeau on Highway 61 and north of the Cape Girardeau airport.
The theater opened Aug. 12, 1949 with the movie "Red River." The show had a capacity of 500 automobiles. Adult admission was 50 cents with children under age 12 free.
The Rhodes City Truck Stop would be built later across from the theater property, on the left in the photo.
from Out of the Past:
May 18, 1949
Construction has begun on 13-acre tract on east side of Highway 61, between
Municipal Airport and Little River Diversion Channel of drive-in type
theater; Pueblo, Colo., and St. Louis men recently purchased land from Dr.
R.R. Hicks; theater will have 600-car capacity, with each car stall to be
equipped with individual in-car speakers.
It seems the Cape Drive-In Theater continued operation for three years after the company opened the modern Star Vue in 1954. The last movie ad in the Southeast Missourian was Nov. 4, 1957. None were found the next year.