- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
On December 18, 1964, Southwestern Bell Telephone Co., which had acquired the local telephone company in 1951, moved into the expanded building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Ellis, although the renovation of the older section was still incomplete. The new addition housed the business office of the company, while the old section held long distance equipment.
From the Southeast Missourian, Dec. 18, 1964:
"Our new office is designed for the comfort and convenience of those who come to transact telephone business," Frank Cheatham, manager, said. "Everyone is invited to drop in and see it the first chance they get."
When completed, the addition will provide about 22,000 additional feet of floor space, Cheatham noted. The new building extends 50 feet west of the old one.
Total cost of the project, including the addition, improvements and new dialing equipment needed for the growth of the Cape Girardeau exchange will be almost $1 million, he said.