- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
This photo by G.D. Fronabarger was published Sept. 18, 1941 on the front page of the Southeast Missourian. Here is the caption:
Was this a race! Bearing, neck and neck, down the stretch to the finish line over the half-mile course, this white mule race highlighted the county racing program Wednesday afternoon during kids' day at the District Fair.
The two mules are ahead of a brown third mule, virtually obscured in this picture. At the left Miss Luella Wilkening of Oak Ridge pushed "Fritzie" across the mark to nose out "Kate," ridden by Bud Job of Cape Girardeau.
A year earlier, G.D. Fronabarger made a picture of horse racing at the re-opening of the SEMO District Fair in 1940. It was the first year for the fair at the new Arena Park. The last fair in Cape Girardeau was in 1929.