- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
The Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce presented its first Award of Merit to Rush H. Limbaugh Sr. in 1989. The chamber's prestigious annual award was later named for him.
In the Southeast Missourian issue of Feb. 12, 1989, the chamber's chairman of the board, Charles Haubold, said the award was presented to Limbaugh for a number of reasons.
"The reasons behind the selection of Mr. Limbaugh Sr. were his long dedication and service to the Cape Girardeau area," Haubold said.
"Mr. Limbaugh has not only served the legal profession in Cape Girardeau but every segment of the community as well. In selecting the recipient, the board could think of no one more deserving than Mr. Limbaugh to receive this first award."
I intend to post interesting photographs from the past in this blog which are at least 10 years old. Some will have historical significance. Some might serve to enlighten and entertain today, perhaps in a way not intended when first published.
They will be selected on a weekly basis from the Southeast Missourian archive, roughly following the current calendar.
They say today's news is tomorrow's fish wrap.
I hope to present a fresh look at our community's history through pictures.